Modding My XP Pool Pumper Blaster!

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Modding My XP Pool Pumper Blaster!

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:40 pm

THE BEAST IS ALIVE!!!!!!

I found a metal piece at Lowes and was able to replace the plastic fitting for the 2 wire pieces of the firing pin. I will be posting more pictures in the future. This mod is not complete yet, but the first part is, and it works, which is the most important part. Oh, and I have ANOTHER XP Pool Pumper Blaster that I bought recently. I figured out how to do a multi nozzle mod using the stock nozzle aperture - which has 1/2" female threads. I had to get a piece from the metal section as the hardware store didn't sell any plastic threaded pieces in 1/2" size. So, the other PPB has possibly even more potential. Anyway, on with the stats.

full PC capacity: 62 oz. This is not battlefield practical as you need some air in there for power. This is only achieved if you fire all the air out of the PCs and fill them completely with water.
Combat PC capacity: 48 oz. I pumped it between 10 and 12 times with air before filling the PCs.

With a 5mm tapered brass nozzle:

Output: 10 oz/sec
Range: 47 feet

I'm very excited about this, and this is just the beginning. I now feel completely vindicated for selling both my 300s. Although range is about 3 feet short this is much more mobile and the stream is thicker and doesn't feel as finicky. Plus, now I've got a trigger isntead of a lever.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:49 pm

I like my 300, but now I want a PPB as well
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:18 am

How big are the firing pins? Welding might cause the whole rod to heat up and melt the plastic. It may be possible to drill a small hole and connect them with a link.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:58 am

you sir have just made another 2000 killer, We need to duelfest PPB, and 300, against each other and the 2000 to settle which is best.

my guess would be

300 vs PPB, PPB, by one kill
300 vs 2000, 300 by 2 kills
PPB vs 2000, PPB by 2-3 kills

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 am

WOW! That is seriously awesome. I need to get my hands on one now. I think I'd definitely use one over a 300, but 2000 killer? I don't think so. They are both completely different blasters, and they'd probably both excel in their specialty positions. For one-on-one, I'd still probably vote for the 2000; have you seen how much water comes out of that big orange nozzle? Plus it has the benefits of being CPS, and it's probably more mobile. After Downpour I'm going to do a matchup between the 300 and 2000.

Anyway, very nice work. How much range did it get stock?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:26 pm

soakinader wrote:How big are the firing pins? Welding might cause the whole rod to heat up and melt the plastic. It may be possible to drill a small hole and connect them with a link.
They are 1/16th of an inch. I found a metal piece at Lowes and used it as a new joint, along with some JB Weld Steel Epoxy. Worked great.
SEAL wrote:WOW! That is seriously awesome. I need to get my hands on one now. I think I'd definitely use one over a 300, but 2000 killer? I don't think so. They are both completely different blasters, and they'd probably both excel in their specialty positions. For one-on-one, I'd still probably vote for the 2000; have you seen how much water comes out of that big orange nozzle? Plus it has the benefits of being CPS, and it's probably more mobile. After Downpour I'm going to do a matchup between the 300 and 2000.

Anyway, very nice work. How much range did it get stock?
You are correct, I made this for a different purpose than my 2000. I am very good with the 2000 in 1hk games where the actual amount of fighting is intense and doesn't last that long. I'm averaging 3 kills per game which is pretty impressive considering our community wars only have 9-15 people per round.

However, for longer rounds things begin to change. Unless Scott's on my side I'm still the most aggressive player on my team. The 2000 runs out quickly when you play that way. I get that I could play more like DX and conserve my water more, but I think that in order to win a team typically needs at least one good offensive player and one good defensive player. I tried pairing the 300 alongside the 2000 at Hydropocalypse and although I did well with the 300 I found that I'm just not mobile enough with it. Or, at least I think that was the main issue. It could have been that the 300 was only shooting 41 feet at the time, instead of the 50 feet I got it to shoot after the war, but I still would not be as mobile as I would like to be. I need to be an agile attacker. The 300 is great for fire support, kind of more like how SEAL plays.

I singled out the XP Pool Pumper Blaster because I thought it could kind of fill the void between the 300 and 2000, or to some extent between the 2700 and 2500. I wanted greater field life and rate of fire than the 2000 and 2500, at least as much power as the 2500, 2700, or 1500, and I wanted it to be unique.

The PPB fills all of those, and I still have a lot of modding left to do. I'm going to experiment with other nozzle types, and if I can get a hold of a dremel I think I'm going to take the little plastic pipes that go to the multi nozzle mod out and add a laminator. The stream is more turbulent than I'd like and I think that's because it has to travel through 1" of non laminated pipe before even hitting the actual nozzle. My 2nd PPB is stock so it will be MUCH easier to create a laminator to multi nozzle mod. I'll just be using a 1/2" brass or steel pipe as the base of the laminator/multi nozzle mod. The stock nozzle is 2.4 mm, which is equivalent in size to the Splaszhooka's nozzle, the Power Pak's 3x nozzle, the smallest nozzle on the Big Trouble, and largest nozzle size on both the Ultimate Explorer and Ultimate Renegade. Stock range is 39 feet which is equivalent to the range I got for both Zooks I tested and the Ultimate Explorer. However, the Ultimate Explorer could only keep that up for 1 second, where as the PPB can do it for much much longer (need to test) though not as long as the Zook. The stock nozzle is actually very good.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:19 pm

OK, I swear I already posted about this, but if the rod is thick enough, try drilling a small hole in each piece and connect them with a link. I did something similar with my CPS 1500 pull valve. (1/16 hole in a 1/8 inch rod)
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:45 pm

To translate, M4 still has a fighting style just like he did when he had a CPS 1500 :goofy:

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:23 pm

soakinader wrote:OK, I swear I already posted about this, but if the rod is thick enough, try drilling a small hole in each piece and connect them with a link. I did something similar with my CPS 1500 pull valve. (1/16 hole in a 1/8 inch rod)
I already fixed the one that was broken, but I have contemplated doing the other one preemptively. If so, I may do this. What kind of link did you use? The current little orange plastic connector piece does seem much more attached than the one on the other gun which I just replaced. I'm not sure if I should just reinforce it as is, or replace it.

More reasons to like the XP Pool Pumper Blaster:

I have set up a quick connect system that allows me to quick connect the blaster to the backpack or the blaster to the stock hose filter. The stock hose filter is great. This will let me field fill the PCs from anywhere and I won't have to worry so much about little pieces of nature getting in my gun! Since the PCs holds so much water (48 oz or 62 if I get all the air out) I can use it to fill other peoples guns, or my own backpack. I'm also thinking of making a quick connect for a QFD adapter.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:26 pm

OK, according to isoaker the pool pumper holds 1.25L (42oz) so how the heck does yours hold so much more?
I used a cauter pin for mine, you could try using a piece of chain (in like a C shape) I have even seen a gun that uses something like that.
Did you get the faded 1$ Pool Pumper off of ebay??? I was totally distracted and I didn't bid properly. I would be pleased to know that you picked it up (but now I'm cursing because I know I won't be getting one for a long time...
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:13 pm

I have 2 and I've done multiple measurements. Pumping them up all the way comes to 48 oz PC capacity. That's not a huge difference between the 42 oz isoaker measured. If you turn the gun upside down and fire the rest of the air out you can get up to 62 oz of water in there. It's not as powerful that way and shot time is actually less. The only reason you'd use that is if you wanted to store water in there for refilling other guns, or if you didn't have a backpack and wanted to pack as much in there as possible, that's the limit. Once your shot time dies down you have to pump air back into the gun. Long story short, I am just saying that's the max water I can fit in there. The 48 oz reading is the reading I'm putting on the website.

Yes, the faded one is the one I got! The shell was cracked really badly too. That was easy to fix though, and it performs great. Don't feel bad, you have amazing thrift stores near you. I moved to Mississippi this past April and they have absolutely nothing here. Not even nerf guns. And the local Wal Mart doesn't even have Python 2s, let alone Collosus 2s. I have no idea how far I'd have to drive to find anything.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Yeah I suppose I do have some good thrifting... but still. I want an SS300 or PPB that I can mod... Good job on yours! Can't wait to see the second one upgraded!
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm not going to do any performance mods to my 2nd PPB until I know if I'm moving back to NC or staying here. But for now, I want to get started painting it. It was terribly faded as Soakinader pointed out, so I felt no point in keeping the colors stock, as it looked, well, awful.

I did a quick once over the body with black. It looks really sharp in person. Sorry I don't have a better camera at the moment. I'm contemplating doing a monster color theme with the black. Or perhaps using some mix of silver/light grey, black, white, and dark blue. What colors would you go with? What do you think about my options? I really wish I could make the pump duct a really cool transparent color and then cut open the body to reveal it ala the XP 75 or 150 but I think that's a bit beyond me at the moment.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:45 pm

I can't see this in anything but Monster (2001) colors

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Yeah, totally. Now that you have said it, there's no going back. Black, purple, silver, orange. Or make it Green, silver, and black like a Monster X.
Are you keeping the foam rings on this gun? I mean, is it going to go for a swim now that you have done all this work to it?
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:02 pm

This is just a quick color scheme I put together. The grey is supposed to be silver.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 am

Looks good, Now paint it!

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:50 pm

I don't know man. The thing for me is that that transparent neon green or purple is so key to the Monster look. I'm just not sure that I would like the paint job overall without it.

I'm now considering doing a paintjob like the XP 75 mk3

It's got that classic XP look, but is not so relient on primary colors. I know some of y'all love the red blue and yellow combinations, but I prefer only having one primary color per blaster and my preference is blue or red. The grey is mandatory for that classic XP look. The PPB shell is actually 2 pieces, so I could do it like this. I would take off the floaties if I did. I reallllly wish the pump was some cool translucent color. Also, I wish I hadn't sold my XP 75, it looked awesome and it was good for a PR gun.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:14 pm

It's your gun, But I would still go with Monster colors myself the PPB just doesn't have that signator Classic XP styling.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:09 pm

Alright, so the latest is that I'm working on attaching a hose to my 4L backpack reservoir. I have one question. The hose clamps I have are too large, but I also have a bunch of zip ties. Can I use zip ties to secure the hose in place over the hydration pack spout (it's basically a pipe?