Nerf SS

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
spitfire

Nerf SS

Post by spitfire » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:46 am

I just started collecting waterguns again last year, and most of them are nerf SS. Are there any mods to increase their range?
Abraham Lincoln assassinated J.F.K.!!!!!

Paciify

Re: Nerf SS

Post by Paciify » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:34 am

There are a few, i believe k-modding can do that.
Armory:
    cps 2500 x1
    cps 1200 x1
    xp 310 x1
    xp 270 x1

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:08 pm

If it's a Hydrocannon you can colossus it (add layers of rubber tubing to the pressure chamber) and modify the nozzle. Non of the NERF SS's have spherical bladders, so no k-mods (adding rubber balloons to pressure chamber) unfortunately.

If it's electric, then you could voltage mod it (Trustfires/Ultrafires or 9V PP3 battery/batteries) and/or drill out the nozzle.

If it's air pressure, you 'could' remove the pressure release valve and/or drill out the nozzle.

If it's just pump powered you can only really drill the nozzle, unless you want to do some work on a new pump.

Careful with drilling the nozzle on the new NERF SS's. If you drill it too large it will be even worse than it already is.

You could upgrade internals with those from other blasters, but it might not be worth it unless the other blaster is wrecked.

To be honest, we don't much like the new NERF SS's as (other than the Hydrocannon) they have little to no potential. If you have some older SS's, you would get a lot more benefit from modding them.

HBWW
    WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:16 pm

You won't get much out of voltage modding MotoSquirters (just the term I use to refer to any motorized Nerf SS), and nozzle drilling it is just as bad. I tried expanding the nozzle on a squirt gun once (to be barely larger than it was before), and even that didn't turn out well. Considering Nerf's MotoSquirters are at least as weak (at least if DX is correct about them being weaker than piston-trigger squirt guns), a nozzle drill may render the blaster unable to fire at all.

I've found that most intensive mods aren't worth it. I typically only do nozzle mods, k-mods, and have attached a backpack to a blaster once. I never remove the PRV (pressure relief valve) on any blaster since stock internals are really weak; not designed to handle it at all. (Perhaps that's why the SS 300 has trouble holding up: it lacks a PRV.)

Likewise, you can't turn a kid's bike into a racing motorcycle, nor can you turn a Nerf SS into anything real useful.

The exception is the HydroCannon, which is practically begging to be modded. Step one is the nozzle, by far; give it one so it has decent shot time and distance. Second, getting the pressure chamber to hold more water would be helpful. You can replace bladders or make your own, but I've found that most of the time, making your own is more trouble than it's worth. You may be able to simply hack the case so that the tube can expand farther. I've never touched a HydroCannon so I wouldn't know. Lastly, a backpack mod is possible; if the PC is expanded, the reservoir may need to be removed, making the backpack mod fairly easy to do. (You will need a solar shower, backpack, and need to be handy with tubing/pipe parts.)
    HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

spitfire

Post by spitfire » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 pm

Well, I would like to mention that all we have down here is Nerf SS, so how pathetic they are is [for me anyway] a moot point. but thanks for responding- now I know not to try anything with them other than general maintenance. :)

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Can you find a store that carries Water Warriors blasters? I've never heard of anywhere in the U.S. that isn't reached by BBT since they sell to all kinds of retail.

If you can't find any, and eBay/Craigslist/thrift stores/friends/garage sales are not a viable option for finding old, high performance blasters, then local home improvement and hardware stores should be well stocked with PVC. Stuff that'll come in handy if you want the job done right.
    HydroBrawl Water Warfare

spitfire

Post by spitfire » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm

correction; we do have bbt[albeit a lot less], but what we actually own is only NerfSS

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 pm

I think you'll see a significant difference from the MotoSquirters as soon as you pick up a Python 2 or Colossus 2. Although those blasters are still very weak compared to anything from the CPS line. :goofy:

Protip for the Colossus 2: Pump some air into the pressure chamber before water. Actually, the order doesn't matter, but once you fill the reservoir, you will need to flip it upside down to pump in air. You probably already knew this from reading articles, but it's good to keep in mind.
    HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Walmart sells Water Warriors for similar and often cheaper price points to Nerf SS, and the performance difference is night and day, so there's no reason not to pick that up. I can't even imagine having a water war with half the Nerf SS models, they are that weak.
    marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Indeed... you may as well soak nerf darts and use them instead of the Super Soakers you will get just as wet.
    If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

spitfire

Post by spitfire » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:08 pm

dx: we already established that they are weaker. however, BBT doesn't look as cool, and most of the kids don't check the range on the guns. I know that even with the range difference I would prefer a Switchshot and hydropack to the Gorgon. but that's just personal preference.

SEAL
    WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:52 pm

^If you care about winning, you'd take a Gorgon. It isn't my favorite gun in the world (just because of the ergonomics; I don't give a s*** about looks), but I could destroy anyone wielding anything from Nerf with it (except for a modded Hydro Cannon, but I'm talking stock here). Of course, there are even better options, like old CPS Super Soakers, but they can be hard to get if you don't have a lot of cash.

But yeah, aside from the Hydro Cannon, modding a Nerf Super Squirter is a waste of time. You get better results just by buying a better blaster, which would cost less than the parts needed to actually turn a Nerf blaster into something halfway competitive.
    ~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:38 pm

spitfire wrote:dx: we already established that they are weaker. however, BBT doesn't look as cool, and most of the kids don't check the range on the guns. I know that even with the range difference I would prefer a Switchshot and hydropack to the Gorgon. but that's just personal preference.
    It's not just range though, it's the sheer power! A Colossus 2 can output twice the water per second compared to the most powerful current NERF SS (Switchshot) and 9 times that of the 'flagship' Lightningstorm for MUCH less money (if you can pick up an end-of-line original Colossus, that's slightly more powerful). Yes the NERF SS's look nicer, but they really suck for the price you pay for them.

If you actually want to get your friends wet (and even intimidate them a bit :goofy: ) don't get another NERF SS (with the exception of a Hydrocannon to mod) and instead get one or more (for the same price as a NERF SS) BBT Water Warriors blasters.

Trust me on this, your friends would soon forget about looks if they saw you fire a Colossus at them. I must admit, I like a nice looking blaster (I actually like the look of the original Colossus) and would choose the better looking blaster with all other factors equal.

If looks are still the deciding factor for you, try looking for older NERF SS's that are still available (I think the Shotblast and Rattler are still available some places, although they are only slightly better than a Switchshot but much better than anything battery powered. The Shotblast also has 'some' modding potential.) or on eBay. If none of these take your fancy that's your decision, but you are missing out.

If this is the case, then my only advice is that Switchshot is the 'best' new NERF SS, but it is still inferior to BBT Water Warriors.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 pm

I say, use whatever you want. If the Switchshot/Hydropak means that much to you (that you'd sacrifice significant waterpower for it), then go ahead. We're only here to give the facts and tips, not tell you what to do.

Of course, it's only better to give both options a fair chance. If you haven't tried the higher end Water Warriors blasters (I'm not sure which ones you have that you said you did), you may find them worth your money and time if you can look past their slightly lacking aesthetics. Personally, at the performance level offered by the Switchshot, I'd prefer any well built piston pumper (SS Vaporizer, Blastmaster 660, etc.) and several water bottles, which I'd be just as effective with. Plus it'd leave enough cash in the wallet to get a Cricket 2-pack.

Speaking of which, it'd be fun to duel anyone using Nerf SS products with a pair of WW Crickets. It wouldn't be completely fair (although they're more difficult to reload), but it'd be fun to try. And that's what water warfare's all about: fun. Now, I know that we as a community are fairly brand-tied to Water Warriors at the moment, but that's because it's clear that for most of us, Nerf SS's are no fun at all (except to make fun of). If you're genuinely happier with a Nerf Switchshot, that's your choice but you're also aware of what else is out there.

This situation is nothing new though. As you're probably well aware of if you've read up on water blaster history, the 80's were dominated by Entertech's motorized blasters (of which are apparently more powerful than current motorized Nerf SS's); these blasters were replications of real firearms (before law enforcement had trouble with that) and had exchangeable magazines, etc. I'm not sure about piston pumpers and how common they were at the time. In any case, the SS 50 hit the scene, and no one cared about how goofy it looked after a few pumps. Then, no one cared about what Entertech and others had to offer after a few years.

It's quite unfortunate that we're not seeing the same market trends today.
    HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Indeed it is your choice, but you and your friends will totaly forget how a gorgon or any other BBT gun looks after you fire it. The Python 2 is an amazing and readily-available choice with good power, great ergonomics(ease of use) and it looks cooler than nerf ss in my opinion. After all a good-looking dud is still a dud.
    "The world is yours" - Nas

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:08 pm

That's pretty much what I mentioned in my post; no one cared about how goofy the SS 50 looked after it could destroy any Entertech motorized blaster out there. And I'm sure no one cares how homemades look if they're combat effective (which they rarely have been).

I wouldn't call the Python 2 an amazing choice, that keyword is reserved for the CPS 2500/2000. However, I'd definitely choose one for light blasting when speed matters more than waterpower, or for "light/modern blasters only" games. (Especially with how much I love the grip/balance even without ever using it in a game before.)
    HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Unfortunately the only mod you can do on any nerf super soaker that is worth anything would be the Hydrocannon 2500 mod seen on DukeSoakEm.com However, this mod is very expensive and time consuming. You will have to buy a lot of parts off line and probably get an adult to help you out unless you are really really good with tools. I'm 25 and I had a lot of difficulty performing the mod.

Technically you could drill out the nozzles, but Nerf guns other than the Hydrocannon can't handle larger nozzles and you'll be left with guns that shoot 5 feet at most.

So, sad to say, there are no practical mods you can do to increase performance. Super Soakers do look cooler. Water Warriors do shoot more water and shoot that further. It's really either or. Looks, or performance. Your choice.
    https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
    SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:30 am

Sorry CA99, i ment amazing as in amazing for 2013 water blasters, and because of the great ergonomics of the gun. Also, in comparison to the switch-shot, the python 2 is an AK47 next to a rubber band gun. The SS 50 is a great example of this, and i sure hope history repeats itself by BBT taking over the market with their superior power and range.
    "The world is yours" - Nas

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Topic split. See The future of the water blaster, and 3D fabrication at home for more.

There's too little to discuss on Nerf SS's that isn't already common knowledge or hasn't been mentioned before, so I moved things around and split the thread.
    HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:12 pm

SEAL wrote:^If you care about winning, you'd take a Gorgon. It isn't my favorite gun in the world (just because of the ergonomics; I don't give a s*** about looks), but I could destroy anyone wielding anything from Nerf with it (except for a modded Hydro Cannon, but I'm talking stock here). Of course, there are even better options, like old CPS Super Soakers, but they can be hard to get if you don't have a lot of cash.

But yeah, aside from the Hydro Cannon, modding a Nerf Super Squirter is a waste of time. You get better results just by buying a better blaster, which would cost less than the parts needed to actually turn a Nerf blaster into something halfway competitive.
    I don't care what it looks like, if it is good, I use it. I remember once on youtube someone said the CPS 2500 was lame compared to the hydrocanon. He doesn't even have the CPS 2500, just the hydrocanon. I have both, and I tell you, even with a nozzle mod, the Hydrocannon is nothing compared to the sheer power of the 2500. Just go for power, and you will rule every fight. Do you even have BBT water guns? I used to be like you. I only had Nerf SS, and me and my friends would have a backyard squirtfest with them. But when I got my CPS 2500, XP 310, 105, 270, Storm typhoon force 2, Gorgon, Python 2, and Colossus, the Nerf SS have not been touched (Except my modded hydrocannon). I can tell you that we don't have squirtfests anymore, we have DRENCHfests. And we don't use hoses, like we did with the Nerf SS, and we more soaked than before.

Oh, and hi everyone, I haven't been online for a while for the simple reason that I've got hooked on a free tank game, World of tanks. Just saying why I haven't been as active as before.