Gorgon K-mod questions

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
Fatalness

Gorgon K-mod questions

Post by Fatalness » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:27 am

Has anyone tried a K-mod on a gorgon?

I'd like to try one on my own, but since there's so few to found. I figured to ask around for any obstacles that i might encounter before attempting this mod.
I'd like to know things like number of balloons, tips, possible difficulties and such.
Thanks much!

atvan

Re: Gorgon K-mod questions

Post by atvan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:25 am

One of the obstacles might be that the Gorgon is Air Pressure…
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:33 am

:goofy:
atvan wrote:One of the obstacles might be that the Gorgon is Air Pressure…
That is quite a big obstacle.

Even if you have a Hydro Power Gorgon, it wouldn't technically be a k-mod (What would we call it?? XHP mod maybe???).

If it is a HP Gorgon, you could XHP mod (X-mod for short? :goofy: ) it with some latex sheet (my dad was given some by a physician a some as a form of leg exercise [tie it's ends together to make a ring and stretch it with his legs]). You can buy latex sheet on the internet. Number of layers depends on the thickness of the sheet (varies for stronger resistance for exercises) and how long the screws are in the HP PC clamp.

If it's an AP Gorgon, you could XPS it, but... no... just no! :goofy:

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Fatalness, I was going to refer you to one of my threads on SSC, but I checked it out and you already posted there.
Whatever, here it is anyway.

The problem with the Gorgon is that it has two pressure chambers, so if you want to replace them, you need the two new PCs to be identical to one another (for even distribution of water).

Fatalness

Post by Fatalness » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:22 pm

thanks for the reply guys, I'm reading the post again. it's we have this for reference

so i would replace the two pressure chambers with balloons of equal number, correct?

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Yeah, equal number of balloons in each pressure chamber.

I should warn you though, balloons require so much maintenance. The Lightning in that topic is non-functional right now, I'm pretty sure it's because one of the balloons got sucked into the internals, plus there's a leak that prevents it from shooting. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix, but it could take a few hours of mind-numbing work.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:24 am

Fatalness wrote:thanks for the reply guys, I'm reading the post again. it's we have this for reference

so i would replace the two pressure chambers with balloons of equal number, correct?
If you want to perform a PC replacement then yes. As mr. dude said, balloons tend to be very high maintenance if the PC(s) is/are made up of nothing but them.

If this is an AP Gorgon this is your only real way of making a CP-power enhanced version. If it is a HP Gorgon, you can layer some extra latex sheets.

I performed carefully, both of these mods are reversible, so if something goes wrong, you can get your old Gorgon back. :D

Best of luck either way!

Fatalness

Post by Fatalness » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:35 pm

I have two more questions for you guys:

1. To prevent what had happened to the Lightning that Mr.dude showed me, is it possible to add some sort of filter to prevent the ballon being sucked in?

2. Would it be a good idea to lubricate the balloons( as i layer them) with a latex safe lubricant? Could this make layering them easier and/or reduce the maintenance?

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:42 am

Layering extra sheets in a Hydro Power gun is a bad idea. Look at how many screws it takes to hold those PCs together - they create a wicked amount of force. You could end up cracking your PC. Lubricating the balloons would make it easier to put them on, but also easier for them to slide off when the PC is full. You don't want them to come off. The best way to layer balloons is to put the bladder in a vise, which gives you better leverage. Also, use large balloons that stretch more.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:53 am

If you want to try what I did, make sure you build it in a way that allows you to take it apart, that's the best advice I can give. If you're putting the balloons on a hose barb, don't glue the hose barb on. Get a threaded one, screw it onto other bits of PVC (and those would be glued), just so you can take the PC out for repairs. My main problem in the Lightning is that I glued everything together, not anticipating the need for maintenance.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:02 pm

DX wrote:Layering extra sheets in a Hydro Power gun is a bad idea. Look at how many screws it takes to hold those PCs together - they create a wicked amount of force. You could end up cracking your PC.
It's definitely a possibility, but I would have hoped (if it was designed properly) that the PRV would kick in before the pressure gets any where near enough to break anything. The other argument is that yes, it needs a lot of screws to hold it together, and therefore the force must be huge (assuming it wasn't over-engineered in the first place), but so do the pull valves on some CPS blasters (the 1500 for example). They have many screws, also suggesting a huge force (again assuming it wasn't over-engineered) and a very narrow seal, but yet can be k-modded to pressures way past the limits of the PRV (if it's disabled, obviously :goofy: ).

In theory all blasters pressure components MUST be over-engineered to a pressure beyond the limit of the PRV, after all the last thing they want is a lawsuit about some kid who's taken his eye out with a piece of shrapnel from an exploding PC. General rule is a 10-15% safety margin engineered into any component, i.e. it can withstand 10-15% more abuse than it is will ever be allowed to reach (thanks to the PRV when the rule is applied to blasters). In practice, especially with components for toys, manufacturers may reduce these margins to increase profits (the 2700, and the max-d mech, spring to mind). So although there shouldn't be any issue if you leave the PRV alone (depending on that particular PRV this might mean no power mod at all :( ), it all depends on what margin of safety the manufacturer allowed for when designing the blaster.

DX is right though, caution should be taken to avoid ruining the blaster completely.

The other side is, if you are replacing the PC's with balloons anyway, and have no intention of EVER changing back, then whats the worst that could happen? (famous last words :goofy: )

EDIT:

I think I'm right in saying you'd be the first to do it aswell.

(If what you have is an AP Gorgon, the majority of this post is irrelevant, so go with mr.dude and DX's suggestions! :goofy: )

Fatalness

Post by Fatalness » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:50 pm

I;m sorry i didnt specify it sooner. What I have is an AP Gorgon.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:50 am

So PC replacement is the only (useful) option. To be fair, I should have looked in the thread on SSC. You mentioned there that it was an AP Gorgon. :goofy:

Yes it should be possible to epoxy some stainless steel, aluminium, brass or even nylon mesh screens into the exit tube from the PC's (preferably somewhere where the diameter of the pipes reduces. They will reduce the cross-sectional area of the pipe slightly, so expect slightly less flow rate. That said, depending where you install them in the internal tubing, you may improve the stream's coherence (putting the mesh somewhere it'll be useful for this will mean cutting the pipes a bit).

To be fair, if you're careful you shouldn't have that issue at all. And as mr.dude suggested, if the components are threaded, you can easily sort the problem if it does.