XP 310 flow modification

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
BlueShard

XP 310 flow modification

Post by BlueShard » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Hey guys, I need some help with a mod that I'm doing to improve my XP 310's performance.
So what would you think would be the greatest way to improve the flow of it? Also I want to keep the nozzle selector :)

Here's a pic

As you can see the water has to flow up a 45 degree pipe that's at least 3 inches long which dramatically screws up the flow. Also if you can tell me any other possible mods to do to improve the performance while keeping the outside the same would be great :)
Current Amoury:
CPS 1000 (~£15), SS 50 (£5), a XP 310 (~£10) and a ThunderStorm (#19.99)
So... The most expensive gun in my arsenal is a ThunderStorm :) I's also the worst

martianshark

Re: XP 310 flow modification

Post by martianshark » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:24 pm

That would require complicated modifications to the tubing. You might want to try some other methods.

To get good lamination, you could build a laminator, which is a piece of pipe full of straws behind the nozzle. If you did this mod, you wouldn't get to keep the nozzle selector though. But if you combined this modification with a check valve freeze, this should give it pretty good power.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

BlueShard

Post by BlueShard » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:14 pm

I might try the nozzle laminator but the check valve freeze I might not do, mainly because of
SSCentral -> Ben
You don't want to freeze an XP gun's check valve. You'll likely just end up over-pressurizing it -- resulting in a pressure crack in the PC most likely. That is why I removed the picture with the cut spots in the Check Valve Freezing article. I honestly don't want people freezing an XP gun's check valve unless it's a repair when the check valve is overactive or they are just a crazy modder.

Pressurized reservoir guns can take a lot more pumps. You're pumping air - not water - into the pressurized reservoir. Water doesn't compress, air does. Simple as that!
And I am very clumsy :)
Current Amoury:
So... The most expensive gun in my arsenal is a ThunderStorm :) I's also the worst

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:16 pm

I don't think you'll be able to modify flow very much without sacrificing the original trigger valve. What about simply drilling out the nozzle? Sometimes that can have surprisingly good results.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

BlueShard

Post by BlueShard » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:43 pm

I seem to have found the answer to the original question: The max-d 6000 internals, so what I'm going to try and do is turn the nozzle selector upside down and redo the tubing towards it so it's more straight (I'll have to get some epoxy for that)

Click here to see max-d internals

Could you find any problems here?

PS: Wetmonkey, what size nozzle would you use??
Current Amoury:

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:03 pm

It won't work. But other than that, sounds great!

As far as I know, MD6ks are still available. Just grt one of those. The pull valve reroutsa the flow so much anyway that straightening out the pipe won't help nearly as much as you would like.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 pm

I'd have to go with atvan on this, you'd be better off with the MD.

In the pull valve, the water has to flow around the edges of the piston. Most improvements to the internal flow before this valve will be ruined at this point, as the water flows around the internal parts of the valve.

As for modding the 310, a laminator and/or a larger nozzle may be your best option. It won't improve flow, but a more laminar stream will be less likely to break up giving better range (usually!). With a bit of ingenuity you may be able to use the laminator AND keep the nozzle selector, or you may just want to make your own nozzles and selector (although a nozzle selector won't help the flow either!). You may just want to remove the selector altogether (you can always put it back on if you don't add the laminator!).

As for nozzle sizes, optimal size varies between blasters. Its best to slowly increase the size, and stop when you are happy with the range. Try the blaster without the nozzle selector first so you have an idea of what size nozzle the blaster can handle without having an adverse affect on range. If you do go too far, you can make the hole smaller, but it's not as easy.

That said, if you really want to mod the 310's internals go ahead, but it may be more trouble than it's worth. :soakon2:

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:13 pm

I doubt a laminator is worth it for streams this small. The dead space will probably actually cause turbulence unless ther is enough flow to counter it.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Andrew's explanation is partly true. You do lose some power with a pull valve, because water has to travel down and around the area where the trigger valve is. However, that is not as much as the pipes on the inside of this gun. Straight pipes are optimal. The best combination is straight pipes with a ball valve (see Max D 6000 or SS 300).

Changing the nozzle size on your XP 310 won't increase your range. I recorded the last 2 nozzle sizes as shooting the same distance (34 ft), meaning it's probably maxing out at that nozzle size. Isoaker's range testing supports this theory, as he recorded the 2nd to the largest nozzle having the highest range (33 ft).

The XP 310 is a fun gun, but if you are looking for better range in that size you have a few other options. The Max D 6000 shoots further. Unfortunately, I have had VERY bad experiences with the MD 6000. At one point we had about 6 or 7 on my team and they all broke within a year (Max D mechanism). So, avoid the original black and yellow version. I know that Seal has a newer one, teal and silver, but I think it also broke. I hope that the recolored versions have a stronger Max D spring, but I can't tell you, 'cuz I don't know. I would actually go with the SC 600 mk2. The gun has a straight flow from the pressure chamber to the nozzle, and it's CPS. You get much better range too. Depending on isoaker's range findings on the Collossus, you might want to go that route too.

However, with all that being said, I don't want to discourage you from trying to do this mod. You may do something ground breaking here. You will have to make 4 cuts:
1. The piping before and after the angles. Then epoxy it back together.
2. The plastic piece that connects the firing pin (behind the nozzle) to the metal trigger wire. You will need to make it shorter. Then epoxy it back together.
3. The metal trigger wire that goes from the trigger to the above plastic piece. You will have to make it shorter by an inch or so since you are removing the / angled plastic piping that goes from the pressure chambers to the nozzle.
4. The external plastic will need to be shortened so that you can refit the modified parts.

I hope this works!
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Andrew wrote:Most improvements to the internal flow before this valve will be ruined at this point
May have exaggerated a bit there! :goofy:

Most improvements to the internal flow before this valve will lose some benefit at this point, as opposed to being completely ruined!

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 am

Here is what I was able to get out of a XP 310.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEuobye0PeA

This is, related to work of modification, a very good deal. With some work you can get a beast out of a Xp 310 :goofy: