Simple mods to 2100/1000

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
steelboot.
Location: workin, workin on the island, workin, all night long

Simple mods to 2100/1000

Post by steelboot. » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:11 pm

I made some simple mods to my CPS 1000 and CPS 2100. Pics can be seen at my blog, which is linked in my team thread.

Thoughts?
Water Warrior for three summers and counting.
Was captain of a team, but team disbanded due to lack of interest.
Still love soakers.
SOAK AND DESTROY = BEST GAME EVER

Silence

Re: Simple mods to 2100/1000

Post by Silence » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Don't see anything here...wrong site?

A link in you signature may be a good idea.

teamfear

Post by teamfear » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:49 am

Thats MY site. Its very old and I never update it anymore. His is listed in a post on his profile.

steelboot.

Post by steelboot. » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:16 am

Still love soakers.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:21 am

Ah, so I see. Sorry about that, teamfear. :)

Did the shotgun mod on the CPS 2100 improve its range?

steelboot.

Post by steelboot. » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:45 am

No, but it gave me the riot blast I wanted it to have.
Still love soakers.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:22 pm

The reservoir expansion, IMO, just takes up more space and is an eyesore.

For the 2100 strap, I'd strongly recommend using cable ties or that metal wire surrounded by clear plastic that BBT uses to package their guns. On the other hand, if the solution you made works, then so be it. I personally do not like to drill holes to create straps; wrapping stuff around it creates a less permanent, yet durable and very easy to do solution.

The riot blast, while good for close range, kind of defeats the purpose of CPS guns; high power and range. You won't be able to hit longer ranges with it when the need comes, and a large nozzle designed for range can soak just as effectively as a riot blast up close, except for ranges 3ft or closer where the stream force would splash back onto the shooter.

Another mod to consider: the light k-mod. With only 35-45 balloons on a 1200, you can boost its range and output capability to that of the 2500's. The only potential issue is a buggy pressure relief valve that'll start making noise too soon. (this varies by gun, some guns' PRV's will take more pressure to open, while others will start opening at merely 10 balloons) Of course, you can just remove the PRV and stack 85 balloons, resulting in a stone-hard pump and a PC as powerful as an APH, but if anyone who uses the blaster ever accidently over-pumps (even by half a pump), you could break a lot of stuff inside.

Generally, you should keep the default nozzles unless you want higher output. I'd personally suggest no larger than 8.5x (around 6-8mm) for these guns or you may find streams not shooting as far or the shot time too low (which I like to look at as a tap-shot to pump ratio instead, which you want to keep at or below 3 pumps per tap shot; this factor varies by output and pump volume of a specific gun) If you go with a custom nozzle (which I'm too lazy to do since the default nozzles are pretty darn good already), I'd recommend the classic nozzle selector mod where you use PVC parts to thread on and unthread different nozzles. The most common is attaching a 3/4" male thread adapter for threading on drilled endcaps, but you can also use a 1/2" male adapter and use hose barbs as nozzles. (since they provide better lamination than drilled endcaps) Its up to you, but it may be difficult to fit them on. (may require a lot of sanding/dremeling and epoxy so its easiest to leave the nozzles as is)

And those are my suggestions. I personally find that high range nozzles are almost always more effective than high output nozzles but thats just me.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

steelboot.

Post by steelboot. » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:30 pm

The CPS 1000 has already been returned to stock. I agree with you, it was a mistake on my part.

The 2100, though, is a different story. The strap mod works fine, it is very stable. Additionally, I can change the 2100 back to stock whenever I wish; I did a simple shotgun mod that involves only unscrewing the nozzle from the blaster. For different locations and sizes of wars, I'll use either shotgun or stock. I have my CPS 1000 and my neighbour's 1500 for range if I need them when I have my 2100 shotgun.

You see, in our wars, the battlefield is very open. There is little to no cover, as we play on the streets. I find charging the opponent and dodging their streams a very good strategy in such quarters, so for that, I would use a more spread out riot blast.

About the k-mod: Unfortunately, have tried k-modding the 2100 a fair few times, but no matter what I always am stuck with the same problem: pumping difficulty. I achieved a measured 42 feet with a 35 balloon k-modded 2100, but it was extremely hard to pump. I was frightened about popping the PC, so I removed the balloons.

So, right now, I'm pretty happy with the mods on the 2100; they're working great. And as for the 1000, I'm happy with it stock. If I were to get another 2100 or 1000, then I might looking into nozzle drilling or nozzle selection mods.

Thanks for the reply!
Still love soakers.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Looks like I prefer the reverse. From the wars I've had, which tend to be in open areas with sparse cover, range is important. If you attack someone, most likely they will see you and also know you're attacking, so you basically end up charging towards each other. The one with higher range gets the hit first. Two skills are involved here: physical skill as in speed and dodging, as well as shooting skill, as in aim, shot timing, and knowing when to use tap shots vs short shots, etc. Then again, these tactics only apply to 1 hit kill. In the soakfest, if your target is sluggish, they can be soaked very well from a riot blast.

On the flip side, if we were playing in crowded areas, such as indoor or very crowded streets with lots of effective cover (not cover someone can just arc-shot over), I'd favor guns like the Flash Flood. Then again, the FF nozzle inevitably releases the whole PC, which takes time to recover. A 2100 with a riot nozzle in this case would work better. Of course, if you're only playing 1HK, a pistol will do.

But you don't seem to play 1HK so we need some application to the soakfest. The riot blast nozzle relies on spread to soak, but the spread begins very soon, which of course, limits the range of attack. On a nozzle designed for range, the stream breaks up around 20-30 ft, maybe more depending on the gun. At that range, soakage is still equivilent to a riot blast given the ranged nozzle has high output. If the stream doesn't break up however (i.e. the target is close up), the stream still delivers a soaking blast, just concentrated to one area.

So for your tactic of dodging and rioting, that can be countered if your opponent uses a complex shooting pattern to reduce your ability to dodge. Of course, anything is easy to dodge when that far away, but you have to charge into range, enabling the target to alternate the shot pattern or if you're closer, even fire a continuous stream without wasting much water. Bottom line: The target can shoot at you first and eventually, you come into a range where its very difficult or impossible to dodge. (which is the range you have to be in to unlease the riot blast) But one more thing; if the target's gun is restricted to small nozzles, those small streams are much easier to dodge at closer range and won't soak as well. However, if your target is fast, he can sustain the stream by firing continuously. But since you don't seem to have to worry about any of this, it seems that most of your opponents are not that difficult.

As I said before, I prefer leaving the nozzles alone or reversible (with some exceptions, as I've constantly drilled the nozzles of smaller guns for more soakability, at the cost of range sometimes), on those guns. I may drill or replace them in the future if the needs demand it, but right now I rely on k-modding to give a power boost and to compete against larger CPS's with more power. Your 2100 may be having the PRV problem if it is difficult to pump; try to use less balloons. On my 2100, I could only get 5 or less balloons before the PRV gets to be a problem. Right now, I think it has 2 or 3. (yet the range still feels boosted, maybe because I've been using inferior blasters for so long)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

steelboot.

Post by steelboot. » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:53 am

The 2100 shotgun mod is fully reversible. I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't.
Still love soakers.