Colossus

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
Verok

Colossus

Post by Verok » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:50 pm

I recently colossus modded my Arctic Blast and I compared the shot range with an unmodded Arctic Blast.I pumped both to 30 and shot them,they had about the same shot range and what i also found surprising was I think the unmodded had a longer shot time. I used 3-4 layers of bike tube the full distance of the PC.Is there anything i may be doing wrong?
Super Soaker XP 85 Triple Shot water gun was my first water gun.

isoaker

Re: Colossus

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:12 pm

When you increase the power of a chamber by adding on layers, you typically end up reducing the available max volume if you did not perform an pressure-relief-valve freezing. Even if you did a pressure-release-valve freeze, the fact that the chamber is made more powerful means it will push out water faster, thus you would expect a shorter shot time, but a stronger, higher output stream. You can't get both increased power and increased shot time unless you replace the chamber with a larger, stronger one, not just Colossus it.

Hope that makes sense!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:55 pm

That's not surprising at all. As iSoaker said, if you increase the power the water will shoot out faster, which will reduce your shot time. Adding more layers also can (not will) increase range. The layers increase pressure, which translates into more water flow. However, if the nozzle is small enough so that when the velocity increases the stream will break up more, the range will decrease. Range depends on many factors, and aside from pressure the most important one is the nozzle orifice diameter. Try a modification like this (scroll down to see Arctic Blast version) and test a bunch of nozzle diameters. There will be one that will work best, and I guarantee that it's larger than the dinky normal nozzle.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Super Soaker Central also has a modification for opening up the PC case to allow for higher expansion, if you find that helpful...
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat