Splat Blaster - Possible Multiple Pump Mod?

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:59 pm

I do not own a splat blaster, but have been looking to acquire one.
Just having recently read the review, seen the video showing it's performance, viewed pictures, etc... I've been wondering, as it is a CPS gun (I think, it's categorized as one in the Armory), would it be possible do to a modification that allows for multiple pumps, allowing more water in the chamber and possible higher force being applied when it is released? I am unsure as to the practicality/feasibility of this notion, but I'm just floating it around. I'd attempt it if I had one, but as I don't, the best thing I can do is to ask if there's anyone here that is familiar with the operation of the Splat Blaster that could provide insight.

So, ... is there anyone here that is familiar with the operation of the Splat Blaster, that could provide insight in this regard?

It seems like this could be a good idea, however I'm really not at all a big modder, so for all I know, this could really just be a silly pipe dream-

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:36 am

would it be possible do to a modification that allows for multiple pumps, allowing more water in the chamber and possible higher force being applied when it is released?

Nope, not with the current design of the Splat Blaster. It uses a spring-loaded PC is filled with a single pull of the pump lever. The pump only moves the PC piston and does not actually pump water into the PC. Think of the Splat Blaster as a spring loaded piston blaster.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:34 am

Oh. This makes sense. Well, thank you very much then,
I guess this is what the forums are really for, floating ideas around, but I do feel kinda silly - :backfire:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:50 am

Nah, don't feel silly about it; if you've never handled one, it's hard to guess how the thing is powered. With the current design of the Splat Blast, the only ways to increase power is to put a stronger spring in there and/or increase the volume of the PC, both of which would not be easy to do through modification.

Oh, and it is categorized as an "Elastic Pressure"-based blaster. :goofy:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:29 am

Hmm, I always thought the pump actually put water in. Now it's has functuality similar to a nerf gun, and since I don't think there's a trigger valve, the gun will probably leak like all pistons do when pointed down. (still, operating the pump instead of the lever probably would have been better)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:46 am

C-A_99 wrote:Hmm, I always thought the pump actually put water in. Now it's has functuality similar to a nerf gun, and since I don't think there's a trigger valve, the gun will probably leak like all pistons do when pointed down. (still, operating the pump instead of the lever probably would have been better)

Actually, there is a trigger valve, but it's rather different for a water blaster. Instead of a pinch trigger or a ball valve, the Splat Blaster has a plastic flap that opens when the trigger is pulled (See: Splat Blaster Nozzle pic) As such, no real leaking when the blaster is pointed downwards. Water exiting the PC likely hits the valve flap to some extent, helping break up the stream. However, in terms of operation, yup, pretty much like a Nerf Gun in terms of accelerating its payload. Main shortcoming of the Splat Blaster is its rather small PC volume.

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:28 pm

Is the splat blaster useful in battle? I like shotgun concept (one pump = one full shot), but I've always doubted its overall performance (output/power/range).

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:03 pm

Useful? The Splat Blaster I've used and tested pushes out rather little water (15mL/ 0.5oz), making it not too useful in any large water fight. (See Water Warriors Splat Blaster Review) I'd also be a little concerned if one wanted to do quick, rapid shots as this may wear down the firing mechanism's trigger lock. If PC capacity were increased, it'd be much better. I haven't tried this year's Splat Blaster, though, though one report I read from a member at SSC suggested it had a larger PC than the one I have (though I cannot verify this as no stats were measured; I asked the member for more info, but got no response).