CPS 1K rubber repair

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:59 am

My CPS 1K's rubber hart recently developed a very small cut/rupture in it. The opening is less than a quarter inch long, but I'm not sure how to repair it.

Here is a picture of the cut:

EDIT: Image fixed.

I thought of doing a double sided K-mod.
Putting a bunch of balloons inside the rubber, then over the outside of it. But wouldn't the original rubber just keep on ripping along that spot until it was useless?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited By WaterWolf on 1187876196
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:01 am

Fixed the image link; you need to ensure that "http://" is in the image link, otherwise the board will default to "http://www.isoaker.com/cgi-bin/Ikonboard" .

As for CPS-bladder repair, might be able to patch it the way tires are patched, then layer on some balloons, effectively K-modding it (or double-K-modding it as you suggested). Sadly, though, once a CPS-bladder tears, no repair will really last as one cannot reseal the bladder as if it were new. A weak point will continue to get weaker. Though a repair may extend its usable life a bit, if you do continue to use this soaker a lot, you're likely better off replacing the PC with a new one made from latex tubing or something similar.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:35 am

So then, would it be possible to replace the rubber hart with a short piece of LRT and two hose-clamps?
If I did that, I might want to angle the LRT upwards to allow for more space and add a custom cover for it.

This could be a very interesting extream-mod. Sort of like turning a stock-gun into a half-homemade CPH.
Could this perhaps be the next step up and beyond a K-mod?

Edited By WaterWolf on 1187876272

-B.D.

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:20 am

It is important to realize, also, that the seal between the LRT and the ... err... PC-Connection-Place, is something that must be completely tight. This is an obvious thing, I'm sure, but considering that this is (as far as I know) something that has never been done before, it may besomething worth thinking about a little bit, before you permanently alter your gun.

I can't say what the best thing to do here would be, these are just my few cents, however I guess the decision depends on how attached you are to this particular gun, and what your status would be, with regard to other available guns, godforbid something does go wrong.

I've been speaking pessimistically, because I feel that I needed to say what I did. On the brighter side, though, is that if this is indeed accomplished, you will have done what nobody before has done, and possibly enhanced your blaster above and beyond current standards.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:42 pm

A: I think this has actually been done before in a few guns. Though from what I know, always in a cylindrical PC, since that would fit it better.

B: Attaching the LRT should be as easy as slipping it over the barb and adding a hose-clamp, this is (I beleive) how it has been done in the past and is the same meathod as used in homemades.

C: Also, it wouldn't really:
permanently alter your gun
All I would be doing is replacing the rubber baldder. If I wanted, I could take it back off and put on a regular stock bladder by simply removing the hose-clamp.

-B.D.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:32 am

@cobralex297: WaterWolf is correct, I believe, in that a PC replacement has been done by others before. Your concerns about ensuring the bladder is on properly are warranted, but compared to a permanently broken blaster, PC replacement may be the only option

@WaterWolf: have you attempted to repair the tear by patching+light-K-modding or are you going the replacement route now? In either case, how's progress going?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:54 am

I've decided to go for the more permanent repair/mod.
Right now I'm figuring out exactly what sizes of LRT to buy so that I can repair the CPS 1k and build the Silver-Bullet. I think I've got them all figured out, so all thats left to do is place the order.

I recently brought the design thread on SSC back to life, so you can can comment and observe further progress there.

-B.D.