Any CPS 1200 modifications? - I just bought one on EBAY.

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
H2orpheus_07

Post by H2orpheus_07 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:24 am

I've recently bought a CPS 1200 on ebay, and I'm looking for a few decent mods.
I'd like to do a K-mod, but it seems rather difficult, and I'm not quite sure how.
Another issue is, do I even need to mod it? According to the reviews in the soaker listings, It gets 35-40 feet stock.

Thanks everyone.

Edited By H2orpheus_07 on 1174391041
Current Clan Sea Fox Armoury: WW Blazer(2005), 2x Liquidator's, 2x WW Black Widow's, 2x Vaporizer's, 2x SS 100's
2x XP 220's, Helix, Speed Shark V3 Mako Shark

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:34 am

The CPS 1200 is an excellent soaker, straight out of the box. Modifying is always an option for any soaker regardless of how good it is, however in this case, the value of modifying this gun must be weighed against the risks of modifying such an old soaker. This gun is seven years old already (gah, it's hard to imagine that its been that long since it was first produced). The 2000 line of soakers is sturdy, no doubt about that (I've modified a few CPS 1200s in my time), however, when opening up any gun, there are always risks. Personally, I WOULD recommend k-modding the CPS 1200, as it performs marvelously with a light k-mod (15-30 balloons). Heavier k-mods (any more than 50 balloons or so) and/or check valve freezes are not reccommended by the online soaking community anymore, there's just too much risk involved. But I think that you will be able to get a nice improvement in range and power with a light k-mod. Opening up the soaker will be your biggest challenge, as many people who do it the wrong way accidentally end up losing screws or breaking something fragile. There are many great guides out there for k-modding a CPS blaster, but I'm obligated to point you in the direction of Downpour's guide to both opening your gun (http://www.geocities.com/waterwarrior49 ... /article15, a guide to opening a CPS 1000, but many of the tips can be applied to the 1200), and k-modding your gun (http://www.geocities.com/waterwarrior49 ... /article17, again with a 1000, but you can easily apply the same concept to a 1200).

Have fun, and update us with info and pictures if you decide to modify your gun. Even if you don't, you've still got a great soaker there!

Soak On!

Edited By wetmonkey442 on 1174145832
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

H2orpheus_07

Post by H2orpheus_07 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:51 am

Thanks for the help!
I will definatley use that K-modding guide.
I didn't plan to check valve freeze in the first place, that sounds very dangerous and bad for the soaker from what I've read about it.
Do you know any exact ranges for your CPS 1200?
Current Clan Sea Fox Armoury: WW Blazer(2005), 2x Liquidator's, 2x WW Black Widow's, 2x Vaporizer's, 2x SS 100's

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:54 am

I agree with most of wetmonkey442's reply. Whether to mod or not really depends on what your needs and skills are. For some (like me), the battles I engage in require good stock soakers with modded soakers being a little excessive, but not completely out-of-place. For the people I usually soak with, I've never felt a need for significantly more out of my soakers and am content with their capabilities. However, I can fully understand that others want/need modified soakers in order to better combat their opponents who use modded or more potent homemade built soakers. Modding and building are not necessarily difficult things to do, but those who choose that route need to take care as to not break a working soaker, either.

As an aside, I never liked the idea of check-valve-freezing, though know it is necessary (sort of) in order for modded soakers to be able to achieve higher pressures. Optimally, a check valve should be replaced with a higher-pressure check valve that would still provide the protection of a pressure release valve, though operating at higher pressures than the stock valve. However, freezing it altogether is simpler which is why CVF mods are usually discussed.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:54 am

I also think you should do a light Kmod. I did one on my cps 1200 with 20 balloons and it gets 50 ft. On the other hand, the CPS 1200 is a fantastic gun when unmodded.

The bottom line is, if you want more power, and have fairly serious fights, then I would suggest a light k-mod. If you have unorganized, fights, and you like the power that the 1200 alrady has, then it's probobly not necessary to mod it.

EDIT: Ooops. I didn't see all the replies.

Edited By forestfighter7 on 1174147057
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

H2orpheus_07

Post by H2orpheus_07 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:57 am

As said before, I willl mod it. But I'm not quite sure exactly how many ballons to use.
I would like at least 50 feet of range. How many ballons would that require?
Also, I've read that k-modding decreases shot time. By how much exactly?

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:07 am

Well, with 25 balloons you should probobly hit 50 ft angled. The K-mod does decrease shot time, with 20 balloons I still have 3 seconds, which is pretty good. A 25 balloon k-mod will likely have 3 seconds as well.

Edited By forestfighter7 on 1174147747
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

H2orpheus_07

Post by H2orpheus_07 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:11 am

Hmm... okay. I'll probably go with 25 ballons. 3 second shot time can be turned into 10 if you're good at tapping!

DX

Post by DX » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:04 pm

With a 1200, you could probably get away with up to 35 balloons without having to disable the pressure-release valve [freezing the check valve is an old term]. The whole mod would therefore take less than an hour, even if you've never modded before. Simply opening and closing the soaker often takes more time than actually getting the balloons on. I'd recommend using 12" balloons, otherwise it will be difficult to stretch them over.

The k-mod may sound hard, but when you actually do it, you're like, "what was I worried about? This is easy!" I've personally lost count of how many k-mods I've done.

Oh, and it is possible to clear 60ft with a heavier k-mod. 70-80 balloons and disabling the valve plus a few other things would do it, though you'd have to be very careful about how many pumps are put in. However, you're probably better off with 50ft, keeping the shot time, and not having to worry about number of pumps.

Good luck with this! :cool:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

H2orpheus_07

Post by H2orpheus_07 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:26 pm

Wow! Thanks for all of the input guys! My 1200 should be here in a little over a week.

Now that I think about it, I'll try 35 ballons.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:36 pm

Here's what I would do: Add 40 balloons, but don't disable the pressure release valve. If the pressure release valve is activated after only 3 pumps or so (you might hear a hissing sound, or the PC won't ever get filled much), then reduce the number by 5 at a time until you can pump it up completely.

Shot time isn't much of an issue with tap/pump. Pump right after you shoot, so that the PC is always full.