Made the Defender into a respectable gun

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:26 pm

Ok 1x at 30ft wasn't cutting it. I took 5 minutes to do a partial nozzle drill, and now the gun actually has acceptable stats, with ~3-5x at ~38-43ft. Shoots like an above average CPS 2100 or a slightly below average CPS 4100. Sure, the shot time was cut in half, but it was worth it. Now I could actually use it as a sidearm in a war, with enough range and output to make a kill.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Stencil

Post by Stencil » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:39 pm

Cool, nozzle drilling is an awesome and easy mod.

Did to my Xp 310, and now its kicka$$.

Keep the good work up.

:soakon2:

P.s Xp 310 rocks.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:06 pm

Kinda makes one wonder why they don't opt to put a larger nozzle on these soakers in the first place (or at least offer a nozzle selector with small and large settings).

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Speedbeetle06

Post by Speedbeetle06 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:53 pm

So your saying that a simple mod like a nozzle drill can make Defender perform like a slightly above average CPS 2100 with lesser shot times?
Hmmmm... I think I'm going to get a Defender now.

Just one question: Exactly what size drill bit did you use?
:soakon:

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:08 pm

The shot time gets butchered, you get 2 tap shots before having to pump again, but the highly improved range and output is worth it, and besides, pumping up is brief and easy.

If you want the best range, you don't drill the whole nozzle, and the output will be slightly less than that of a 2100, probably around 3-6x.

I used a small drill bit, 5/32. I also was careful only to drill 1/3 of the way into the nozzle. I then sawed so that the remaining nozzle cut was perfectly even [otherwise part of the stream goes left, right, etc.]

You can do this without opening the gun. DON'T OPEN THIS GUN! There's this little piece that pops off its track thing and does not like to be put back. When you put it back, the trigger spring pops off. Getting both to stay is annoying, and took me thirty five tries. The Hasbro designers probably laughed knowing that someone would be screwed with this little annoying set-up.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

PanamaDrummer911

Post by PanamaDrummer911 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:16 pm

Awesome, I have a defender and would like to do the same. Is there a tutorial to nozzle drilling?

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:02 pm

Yes.
step 1: get drill bit
step 2: drill nozzle (1/3 of the way in this case)

That's it.

Edited By supersoaker on 1149991352
:flashflood: :soaked:

hehe...
You don't want supersoaker as your enemy!

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:24 pm

There's a slight bit more, since the nozzle is not like others I have drilled. You have to be very, VERY careful not to go too far or damage the walls of the nozzle that you want to keep. They are thin and fragile. After drilling, the plastic will curl a bit. So you saw just below the cut mark, making the finished cut smooth and even. You can do all this without opening the gun, and I highly advise you not to open this gun. The annoying assembly will frustrate you beyond thy wildest imagination.

PanamaDrummer911

Post by PanamaDrummer911 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:40 am

I see..

I took apart my defender for fun, and also had that same problem. What I did was took a ruler to place that piece into its place, and I closed the 2 halves together while holding down the ruler. Right before closing it, I snatched out the ruler.

Maddermadcat

Post by Maddermadcat » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:21 pm

And here I thought the Defender was already a respectable gun.
The nonsensical leader of the Snow Cats.
Now the proud owner of a flash flood with an aquapack!

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:10 am

I gotta say, nice! I'd get a Defender and do this mod myself, but it looks a little tricky. :(

And here I thought the Defender was already a respectable gun.

If you think a gun on par with an XP-70 is a respectable gun... ???

Edited By Hannibal on 1150211594
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:44 am

Maybe it's no golden-years-CPS-class soaker, but soakers of XP70 calibre are great introductory blasters and allow for longer fights since, heck, they don't drench someone in a single shot. It takes more skill, in some ways, to soak another with a lighter calibre soaker since you've got to hit them more than just a couple of times.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:47 pm

That's one I still need to bore along with the twin MD6k if they can handle it. This thing can't be more difficult than the SC500 or 600, its nozzle doesn't move. Anyway, there's only one way to find out. As for small/stock nozzles, they seem to be getting the latest XP70s at BigLots(don't know the price <$9.99 I expect), and I don't have a baseline. That one will be amoung the ones I won't touch with a drill(CPS1500, CPS1000, XP110, XP150, Liquidator, etc.).
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)
US Naval Expeditionary Command(NECC)

Don't think outside the box...There Is No Box

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:59 pm

OK...nothing to it. I didn't get wild: drilled it with a 3/32" bit the entire length. It now maxs out at 2oz/sec to 34'. That nozzle can probably take upto a 1/8 bit without worries, but distance would suffer. Later, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)
US Naval Expeditionary Command(NECC)

Don't think outside the box...There Is No Box