Removed CPS 1700 Cap

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
Storm

Post by Storm » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:08 am

I removed the cap of my CPS 1700 for fun to see hwo it would shoot. Suprisingly it shot about 5 to 6 feet farther. I kept retaking measurements and each time I was right.

Why is it shooting farther just because cap is off?
If I keep cap off wil it damage it or hurt my gun?

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:15 am

>Why is it shooting farther just because cap is off?
You still have the selector on there? With the selector removed, the opening is larger. IF the selector is still there, perhaps there is some peculiar air turbulence created as the stream passes between the selector and the end-point of the cap's opening, partially disrupting the stream's coherency.

>If I keep cap off wil it damage it or hurt my gun?
The capless CPS1700 should be fine, but the exposed nozzle selector is just more prone to damage if you hit it without the cap in place. However, no damage should occur just because the cap is off. It is just slighly more fragile without it.

Neat pic, BTW, though a little blurry!
:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Storm

Post by Storm » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:21 am

I was holding it in one hand and the camera in the other and I was a little shaky haha. Normally my cam takes better pics. And yes as hard as it is to believe it does actually shoot further. I think I'm going to leave the cap off.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:38 am

After some thinking, perhaps the decreased range is better explained by poor stream coherency when exiting the nozzle selector. I could better imagine parts of the stream hitting the cap's opening on the way out, adding in more significant turbulence in the stream (this would make more sense over my earlier air-turbulence theory).

:cool:

Storm

Post by Storm » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:44 am

After some thinking, perhaps the decreased range is better explained by poor stream coherency when exiting the nozzle selector. I could better imagine parts of the stream hitting the cap's opening on the way out, adding in more significant turbulence in the stream (this would make more sense over my earlier air-turbulence theory).

Ok that was "Exactly" my guess lol. I just thought it would sound stupid and nobody would think that could be an explanation. I'm glad to see you also think the same as me haha.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:36 pm

This thread makes me want to grab one of my CPS1500s and pop it open... hmm.. first to figure out where I put it...

:goofy:

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:27 pm

CPS 15/1700s can rival CPS 2000s in power with the entire complex off. With the cap AND selector off, the blast is about 20x and can reach 40' easily... Not to mention that the PC holds the same amount and it takes fewer pumps.