Acorn Hill, Upstate NY

Recommended places across the globe to hold a water war / water fight.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Acorn Hill, Upstate NY

Post by SEAL » Sat May 24, 2014 6:39 pm

I meant to post this like two years ago. Well, better late than never. Acorn Hill is an epic battlefield located a couple minutes down the road from my house. It is basically an old quarry in the middle of the woods. There are massive cliffs, many small (5-15 ft high) piles of rock, and hundreds of young pine trees. Unlike many community war battlefields, it's pretty hard to see any great distance in most areas, and the fact that the ground consists of mostly pine needles and grass makes for a fairly stealth-oriented battlefield. I fought here once on New Years Day back in 2012, but never again. Even after two years, I still think it's one of the best battlegrounds I've ever seen. But enough of that; you'll get the idea by looking at the pictures. I'm not going to include a satellite map because there's really not much to see.

So to start, here's a picture of the southern end of it, taken from the trail that leads into it. There are several trails, most likely old roads to the quarry.

The beginning of the massive cliff that spans the entire battlefield. I'd say it's about a quarter of a mile long, and up to like 50 feet high in some places.

Here's where the trail forks, right by the place we use for a staging area.

This odd rock shelf is our staging area. It is right next to the main water source.

The quarry, which has become the water source. As you can see there wasn't much there when I took the photo, but I've seen water take up the entire quarry floor before. I've never seen it completely dry. In the background you can see part of the towering cliffs.

The rest of the quarry. This is to the left of what you see in the picture above.

A shot of one of the lookout points on the cliff.

Another part of the cliff. It's a lot taller than it looks in this picture.

A small open area.

The northern end of the battlefield is full of small piles of rock. This picture is taken from the trail that goes through them.

Some of the piles. What I like about them is that they prevent you from seeing too far, and they are too short to camp on.

More piles. There are many more, I only photographed a few.

Now the last pictures are taken from the top of the cliff. Here's one of the lookouts, offering a spectacular view of some of the Catskill Mountains. Good place to make out, haha.

A shot of what the woods on top of the cliffs looks like. I personally don't think it's as good as the bottom; it's mostly knee-high underbrush, and it's impossible to move without making a huge racket.

This is the lookout point that I took a picture of from the quarry floor (see the 7th picture).

And here's the quarry floor as seen from the lookout pictured above. When I fought here on New Years it was all water.

Pictures may tell 1,000 words, but it takes a heckuva lot more than that to describe this place. You can't see how epic it really is just from the pictures; you need to go there in real life. I believe it's a public access area (and even if it weren't, nobody cares anyway haha), but it is a bit of a walk in (maybe 15 mins) and you have to park on pullouts on the side of the road. However I think it'd definitely be worth it. Rounds played here would probably have to be restricted to the ground below the cliffs, for obvious reasons. Fortunately there is plenty of room down there. I actually think it's almost perfectly sized for a 2-3 hour round with 8 or even 6 people. Maybe we can throw something together there someday.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Acorn Hill, Upstate NY

Post by HBWW » Sat May 24, 2014 7:39 pm

So you ARE hosting Downpour this year?
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun May 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Uh, no. I'd only do it if like 10 people clamor for it. I just threw this up because I'd been meaning to for a while. If we ever fought here it'd probably be more of a one-day thing as opposed to a full-featured war.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Sun May 25, 2014 8:10 pm

This is beautiful, and it actually looks thick enough to use.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.