Waterbridge

Recommended places across the globe to hold a water war / water fight.
Belisaurius
WWN League Team: Havoc

Waterbridge

Post by Belisaurius » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Hey all,

Here's an old map of Waterbridge, my team battlefield for 5 seasons. This is an old version, from right after the Ridgewood Militia started in 2004. One of the original names we had for them was the "Stonewall Insurgency." Their main base at Waterbridge at the time was a log fort called Stonewall, located about where the Nx51 site is marked in The Swamp. I can't remember why we used the Nx51 code for their sites.

There were some changes to the battlefield not reflected in this old map: the log jam got cleared out, and someone extended their back yard down into the swamp there at the bottom. There are also some secret Waterbridge locations from after this map was made that I will not reveal.

Key points to keep in mind:

- The map is oriented north to south. This is not to scale, but the park is about a mile long.
- Vegetation generally gets thicker as you move south.
- On the right bank of the brook, the roughly parallel line shows the extent of vegetation. On the other side of that is a clear strip for a power line.
- The area on the left of the map is higher than the rest. The top of the bluff is denoted by the lines between the shaded residential spots and the brook.
- The dashed line marks the paths in the park.
- The central band is the Ho Ho Kus Brook. The brook has variable depth, but the best places to cross are just below the debris damn and just below the area of the brook in the middle of the map.
- The tree across the brook is an old log. The tree has been there for a long time and is not safe to cross on. In addition to being mostly rotted, the water underneath is not deep deep, so it isn't particularly wise to risk it. At that point, the brook flows between two large stone flood control walls, so if you get caught with your back to it you can't get across the brook there.
- Depending on water levels, there are sometimes sandbars in front of the area marked "Echopont".
- Any and all bases on the map probably don't exist anymore.
- The path climbs in height south of Telos-Groven, and the left bank gets increasingly steep.

The different areas of the battlefield were named over the course of Waterbridge's time on the territory. The names that denote specific locations

- Debris Dam: This is a bunch of rocks early on in the park. Just below this spot is usually a sand bar and a fordable spot. To the left is a wash where a street at the top of the bluff drains into the brook; this was a common spot for ambush attempts. This is the first point where the bluff is actually accessible and where there's enough space to maneuver.
- Upperbluff: This is a wide area of the bluff where there is little undercover but lots of trees.
- Concrete pylon: This block of concrete marks a pipeline passing through the park. It looks like a good spot for an ambush but its a trap. It is easier to get stuck behind it than it is to ambush someone on the path.
- The Ruins, HQ, and the Nx51 sites probably don't exist anymore.
- Telos-Groven was the main Waterbridge complex, but it isn't a very defensible spot.
- Ivy Hill: point where the bluff opens up a bit. The only real undercover is ivy, but the spot would be very defensible with enough people. There are plenty of trees for cover for the defenders, and all the approaches can be clearly seen. The drawback is that there is no water source.
- Sacred Grove: This is a particular dense growth of this one plant we called "bamboo" but which is really some kind of weed. During the Battle of the Fallen Limbs, we hid in there at one point and the RM guys thought we were deer.
- The Swamp is the lowest part of the battlefield and is usually swamp. There are skunk ferns there. A drainage ditch runs along the base of the bluff from behind Telos-Groven, under the path and out to the brook.

Last edited by Belisaurius on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishfan

Re: Waterbridge

Post by Fishfan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:06 pm

I haven't read everything yet, but the pic doesn't work.

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Does it work now? Sorry.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:23 am

Yup.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:55 am

I hate when people extend their back yards into wetlands or even just into the forest. That happened with almost every property in my neighborhood that bordered the creek, and was the primary reason we had to look elsewhere for a battleground during the later Vermin Wars. DX took me to Ridgewood in 2011 and although its thin it is still wide enough to have some good fights. The sacred grove was very impressive.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:55 pm

This is cool. So is this where DX was talking about having a war sometime this year? I actually made up a gametype for long, thin battlefields like this. See On the Run. I've never tried that game before, but this could be a good place to debut it. I'll probably be able to come to a war there if it's held in the summer. Maybe we should do it after Downpour.

Belisaurius, could you per chance post a link to this battlefield on Google Maps?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:09 pm

I'm surfacing!

Here are some really old photos from THE EARLY 2000's from some Waterbridge battles. First person to find DX in 3 of the photos wins.I know the resolution is terrible, but it was pre-digital cameras. This was all shot with a film camera, and then developed. And I was a sucky shot so.

This is of me hiding out in the mud in the swamp at the first fight against Dux's team that was not at Waterbridge. Matt and I had just struck the winning blow. So we sat and waited for the time to run out - and we waited extra time in case they were out for revenge. This battle was a bit of a mess, because we hadn't decided yet to require commanders to meet at the start of the battle. So Matt and I couldn't find them when we got there, thought they had bailed, went to one of their houses (they weren't home), got ice cream, called people, and then went back and found them. And won.

Dux and his team had set up on top of a mulch pile. This is just before we struck.

The mound was too formidable to charge up - but some of their team hadn't been there. And they rushed back when they heard we were there. And we got one of the guys. Battle score was 1-0 Waterbridge. One of only 2 wins, if I remember correctly, the other one being the Battle of the Fallen Limbs.

We got totally screwed in this battle so we hid under the bridge. Not technically a breach of rules. It was not a helpful tactical move.

The two teams. This was a 4-3 battle if I remember right and the very first war between Waterbridge and the Ridgewood Militia.
Last edited by Belisaurius on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Found him XD
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

DX

Post by DX » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Actually, I think the last 2 pictures are even older than that, because our first ever war between teams was 3v3, and only 2 people in that pic are RM. I think this was the "3rd War" when Robin and I were still in Waterbridge. It was a 4v3 and the teams in that war match exactly with the people in this pic plus Nick.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:12 am

Outstanding! My brother had a digital camera but left it on a park bench in Beijing. I was so mad. So we had to use regular film for several years as well. I was so in love with the scanner my mom bought.

It's really funny how some people are in camo and some people are wearing super bright colors. I think this is very typical of when you're first starting out or when you have a lot of new recruits. Also, I can't believe you're barefoot! haha
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.