Onteora Lake, Kingston, NY

Recommended places across the globe to hold a water war / water fight.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Onteora Lake, Kingston, NY

Post by SEAL » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:38 pm

About time I posted this. Onteora Lake is a long lake that lies on a state wild forest. DX and I scouted it out last January, and we found many excellent battling areas. I'd like to use this place for friday night and all of saturday at Downpour, before leaving and going to Dug Hill on sunday.

Here is a map of the general area. The red lines are the boundarys, where the off-limts areas are on the side of the line with all the little lines (wish there was a better way to put that!). As you can see, there are actually two lakes; Onteora Lake is the longer thinner one, but I'm not sure what the name of the other one is (if it even has a name.). It is a gigantic area, and I seriously doubt that we could use all of it.

This map shows a closer view. I have numbered places of interest: 1 is the parking area, and places where you can camp (you can camp anywhere, but well-defined sites can be found near the parking.); 2 is probably one of the best fighting spots we found; a large ravine (bigger than Thunder Gulch.) with a stream running through it, that we nicknamed "The Freezer", because of how much colder it was in there compared with everywhere else; 3 is a small "island" that we accessed by crossing over a beaver dam, that's separated from the east side of the lake by a very thin bit of water that probably dries up in the summer; it would be great for a naval assault game, but I don't think we could get boats in there.

Link to thread with some funny pictures that we took in this area, as well as Dug Hill.

Link to Google map.

Looking forward to fighting here.
~SEAL
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Re: Onteora Lake, Kingston, NY

Post by DX » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Once I really get the hang of this GPS foot tracker program (and a car charger for my phone), I want to go back and trace out the main paths and key areas. We might also want to explore more of the paths to make sure we didn't miss any potential playing areas within easy walking distance. Also, as mentioned earlier, my team has dibs on the island as a base during the all-night battle.

I have a lot of pics from this scouting trip that I need to get up (not the funny ones, pics of the terrain).
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Onteora Lake, Kingston, NY

Post by SEAL » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:41 pm

If I have time, I could go over there and do some more exploring. I don't have a GPS tracker thing though, so all I can do is scout out any of the places we didn't get to. It would probably be a good idea to do it before Downpour, so we know where all the good spots are before we fight. I'm curious as to how the all-night battle will turn out. OHS would probably be the best gametype, but I can see a CTF variant (like the one we did at Hydropocalypse with 4 flags and a time limit.) being very interesting... If I'm not on DX's team, I already know where my tents/base will be...

Whenever you get the pictures up, post them here, as this is the official Onteora Lake thread (the ones from across the street from Dug Hill can go elsewhere.).
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.