Ultimate battlegrounds - Where would you fight?

Recommended places across the globe to hold a water war / water fight.
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:10 am

Inspired by Isoaker's posting about the maze amusement park, and due to the fact that I'm looking for some varied answers for...my own interest, I pose the following question: Given no limit on money with which to rent a battleground, no limit on your or opposing team size, no predefined game type (CTF, F4A, and assassination are all options), and no expectation that the person you approached would turn you down, what sort of place would you rent for a waterfight?

Realistic answers are expected. No space stations, no foreign planets, that sort of thing.

For myself, there are a couple venues I'd like to try out. ~Pretty much any skyscraper would be fun, the more cubicles and stairs the better.
~A refinery across the river from the downtown of the city where I live. Tons of pipes and walkways and small buildings EVERYWHERE.
~The Wisconsin state capital. Two (or is it three) architectually identical wings around a grand open area, with a unique basement as well. Perfect for teams of 30vs30 or so, providing offices could be used as well.
~For an assassination type game, I'd love to try a home invasion scenario, the bigger the home the better.

So where would you like to fight?

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Soaker Master

Post by Soaker Master » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:44 am

One place that I would like to fight in would probably be my school because all the rooms and the halls. If I got half of my school on teams then I would have some serious fun. But, I don't thing I could do that because my school is not exactly an area that can afford to get wet. :p

Edited By Soaker Master on 1144169294

DX

Post by DX » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:20 pm

I personally don't like urban/suburban fighting environments. I've found a perfect battlefield in my old hometown for those who enjoy the thrill of the great outdoors. Unlike my current parks, this one is HUGE, the others are up to 2 miles long and narrow, but this is several square miles across! So massive that I actually have only explored 1/4 of the total area. The park centers around the town reservoir, whose shore snakes in and out for a distance of 5 miles. This created peninsulas which stick out, nice hills along the fringes of the Blue Trail, and inlets. What I really love about the place is its sense of natural purity. Huge rolling forests are broken up only by cranberry bogs, fields, and streams. There is zero human presence and are no facilites. No cheap hoses, houses, other buildings, nothing. No sounds of people, cars, or any other human life. Just you, the enemy, and the woods. The funny thing is that it's well hidden behind houses and streets, but is so massive that you can enter from so many areas and directions. We can go straight from my friend's backyard into the depths of the park in a matter of minutes.

There are some special positions that you would find in no other park. Such as a thick area of trees I call the "Dark Forest" because no light gets through and it makes for an excellent defensive stronghold in a strategic location. Also, a composting lot with a giant mound of sand which dominates that section. There is a hilly area where the Blue Trail curves around the lake and you can see across in several directions. There's also a high ridge where the Blue and Red Trails intersect. The list goes on. This battlefield could support teams of over 100 easily, and you would still go long periods without contact. You could even have an actual naval battke, since the reservoir lake is sizable.

Instead of just you against the enemy, it's also you against the park. You have to take into account travel time with your manuevers, and familiarity with the various trails. There's no one point can where you can see all the way across from one end to the other. Not to mention the posion ivy [I'm immune though] and brier bushes which await you if you step off the trails. Really my dream battlefield if I wanted to do a multiple-day, large-scale, diehard war. :cool:

Edited By Duxburian on 1144175590
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:30 pm

Aw man Dux, you're lucky! That's a beautiful battleground. I'd like to just walk through there, not to mention fight.

Any signs of other (human) life? I imagine something as secluded as what you described could be the stomping grounds to all manner of reprobates. Be careful.

The closest thing I've got to an ideal battlefield is the woods down the street. Nowhere near as massive as yours, but there are certain areas that are secluded, and near night, the huge clearing that dominates the center gets an almost religious peace to it. And it's good for fighting. Varied environments, though very flat, little water.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:01 pm

Oh, wow... I had a reply in mind to Adrian's post already, and your pictures mirror the terrain of the place. There's a State Forest/Park (there's some overlap, plus I'm not quite clear of the boundaries as it is.) The more woodsy-looking pictures are exactly the kind of place I had in mind. I'm still kind of wondering (just in my instance) what one would do for water, if you don't like the idea of filling your blaster in the creek. I'm thinking less formal, like we would do rounds, and when a lot of people are running out, we end a round and go refill. In that sort of case, I would think of just bringing a lot of water to the battleground by car(s). Now that I think of it, there's one spot in the park that has a pipe fixed to a natural spring, flowing out of a rock face. It just flows out, usually just right onto the ground unless people are visiting it, drinking from it, etc. Maybe that would solve my "gallons and gallons of tap water from home" problem. The streams there are mountain clear and all, but I'm thinking more of the stuff you can't see, like germs, animal "deposits," and the like... thus, I don't relish the thought of introducing such things into soakers which I've managed to keep almost religiously free of.

Edit: Don't know how useful my post is, but if you wanna use it, by all means, go right ahead.

Edited By LtDan64 on 1144253455
Nintendo: Ha, we have Sonic!
Microsoft: Yeah, but we got Rare.
Nintendo: .................................................................****!!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:47 pm

Beautiful park pics... that'd be an awesome place to have a battle, camp out, go for a hike, or just chill (then get hosed by someone with a soaker) during the warm months. :goofy:

There's a creek in a ravine-type wooded area near where I live. Some dirt paths, lots of foliage for cover, many trails and pseudo-trails.. would be a great place to have a battle (though I wouldn't trust the water in the crrek since I've seen the stuff that flows out of the storm drains that empties into there... nasty :goofy: )

A fight amongst a bunch of office cubicles would be awesome, too. I also like the idea of fighting in an car-demolition yard or junk yard setting in between piles of rubble.

Speaking of in-between things, I've seen some great natural rock formations and such that create natural mazes on various geographic shows, etc. Not quite sure where they are, but those sort of settings would be fun, too. Optimal places would offer plenty of cover as well as multiple levels of elevation.

When I think of more, I'll add in.

BTW, I'd like to create an article based on members' replies to this thread. If you'd like your response included, please edit your post to give me permission to use it with proper acknowledgements, of course.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DX

Post by DX » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:14 pm

I've got 78 or so pictures I've taken from that park. I might be going up around there over Spring Break, and if so I hope to be able to explore the remaining 3/4. :laugh: I can't have battles there now, but that will be my choice battlefield in the future when I move out of New Jersey after High School is done. If I can form a new team then. With sweet tech and aneven sweeter battlefield, I don't see why not though. :p

These were to be special SM releases, but whatever. More of the best ones, since people seem to be liking them:

Did I mention that I love Photography?!

Completely blows away all of the other parks that I regularly fight in! :p

Edited By Duxburian on 1144196164
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:24 pm

Great pics! Me = envious! :goofy: Thanks for sharing the imagery!

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:20 am

wow dux, that really is an awsome sight. the area around my house is all state forrest, but for a battlefeild its nothing like that. when i play at home we have a 2 square mile area of forrest that includes a large feild, pleanty of trails and thick forrsets as well as hills and streams. but my favorite place to play is my college campus. most campus's make for great soaker battles. for a map: CCU the scale on the maps isnt that good, but the fact that the dorms are set on either side of campus have made some great CTF games. also last year a frat was doing a fundraiser on the main lawn inwhich they were camping out untill they reached their goal, so some of my friends and i led a raid. they had a cooler of waterballons but it was still fish in a barrel.
more reliable then a max-D trigger

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:14 am

That dark forest spot looks insanely cool. You weren't kidding: zero light. That would be a really great spot for a team to defend/try to capture. Definitely a desirable position. [King of the Hill/Black Hole]
Nintendo: Ha, we have Sonic!
Microsoft: Yeah, but we got Rare.
Nintendo: .................................................................****!!

DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:11 pm

Think more pics would ruin it?

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:37 pm

Beautiful! I love it. That last pic you posted makes me want to range test my WBLs.

When I lived in Northern California, a lot of the surrounding area looked exactly like that.

Have some good waterfights. I need to come down there now! You're making me jealous.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:58 pm

That last pic reminds me of an area I had a fairly large soakfest in. Being a pure soakfest, running and dodging in the open was the main tactic as opposed to heading into the trees and making use of natural cover.

Man, beautiful place, though! Gives me that nice, warm, summer feeling looking at the pics.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:11 pm

Well, these were taken during the spring and summer of 2005. Although Duxburian summers tend to be in the 70s, perfect temperature for me, slightly cool for most others used to the 80s and 90s on a daily basis.

That last pic is the area I call the "Greatfield." Tall pine trees form a huge, thick barrier rim around the field, giving it an almost-arena-like feeling.

Also remember that I have not had a chance to fight in this battlefield. It is in my old town up in Massachusetts [you wonder where "Duxburian" came from?], meaning I only get to visit it maybe 2-4 times in one year. When I'm in college/after college, that will be where I fight. Until then, just dreams...I might be going there this break...and if so, pics of the whole thing! [If my camera batteries last and if I don't get eaten by coyotes] :p

Edited By Duxburian on 1144376072

zack13

Post by zack13 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:52 pm

i would like to hav a huge water fight at my cousins farm... which works out well because i can whenever i want:)
grunt/captain

max d 6000 w/ cps balloon mod
stock max d 6000
ss defender

remember, everyone was a n00b at one point

kylemw9

Post by kylemw9 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:02 am

I think the best place ever to have a water fight would to rent the entire empire state building and booby trap half of that randomly

Edited By kylemw9 on 1149246221

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:20 am

The last place I would want to be in would be a tall skyscraper in New York, especially a prominent one with symbolic importance. The threat of terrorism is still extremely high in the city, especially in midtown, and especially that building. You wonder why my dad avoided the World Trade Center for like 17 years? Important buildings in important cities aren't safe.

It would be smarter to rent out a smaller building for an office-style war.

Prof_Slammin

Post by Prof_Slammin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:08 am

I'd like to battle among my whole town, because we have a small forest next to a creek and a park. The town has many houses so you can easily set up a base at any of these houses (so long as the person at the house is a participant).
If you live in Jonestown borough of PA or around that area, PM me.

Maddermadcat

Post by Maddermadcat » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:13 am

Before I moved, one of my friends' buildings had a large forested area behind it. We were a lot younger back then, and used to go out and explore the place. It was a really nice place to battle, although the streams weren't too clean... It would've been fun to have a battle there.
The area around my building now is very diverse and fun to fight in as well, if I can, I'll try to take some pictures.
The nonsensical leader of the Snow Cats.
Now the proud owner of a flash flood with an aquapack!

Prof_Slammin

Post by Prof_Slammin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:18 am

That's kind of how our area is like, but there's no large building, just houses. Does anyone live near or n Lebanon, PA? Then you might know where Jonestown is.
If you live in Jonestown borough of PA or around that area, PM me.