New Production of QFD Water Bases

Selling, buying, shopping for and/or trading water blasters.
MAdworldMatt

New Production of QFD Water Bases

Post by MAdworldMatt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:45 pm

I was wondering what the market would be for New Production QFD bases?

I couldn't find them on ebay so I will print out the original on my 3D printer.

I have an idea for an improvement on the original design.

incorporating a weighted base, where the base will be an abs plastic bladder filled with water.

This will keep the base from turning over and allow the monster products to fill without breaking themselves or the base.

Cost would run about $20 per unit plus shipping.

Design would take approx 1 week. Sending it to china for prototype would take a month, and production could take one to three months.

I would need to move a hundred units, to justify the cost.

Does this interest you?

Would you rather just have the origintal QFD for $5 + shipping?
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Water filled base
Water filled base
P1030071.JPG (124.5 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: New Production of QFD Water Bases

Post by HBWW » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Quite a few people have asked to buy QFD's, so you may find some interest in this, but not sure if it'll be enough to get 100 units sold, at least not in a short time frame. I've also come up with a QFD solution a while ago, but it's not that popular, requires parts hunting, and may not work as well as yours. (I broke my Monster XL's SC filler with it.)

Durability is another potential concern. The VHS QFD I designed uses PVC parts, so there's very little risk of pressure blowing it apart. However, the same can't be said for the stock QFD, where AMBUSH's QFD bursted apart when attached to a spigot at the Soakemore community water war last May. (There was too much air pressure left in the spigot as it went up.) If yours is less susceptible to this problem, it may draw more interest.

Lastly, check how QFD's are selling on eBay. It may help you estimate how many units you'd be able to sell off in what time, at what price.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:54 pm

I would recommend making VHS's, they fast fill Speed Loaders, QFD enabled guns, have a hose sized opening for non QFD guns to fill faster and a nozzle to defend people caught refilling. it would cost more to make but would have a larger potential market on ebay.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:39 pm

I also have access to a 3D printer so I might be able to test the design. The standard QFD can probably also fill monsters if you are careful. Why not just make the base larger to prevent tipping so you do not have to fill it with water? Also, if you have a 3D printer, why do you need to ship it to china when you could print your own? Either way, great idea.

MAdworldMatt

Post by MAdworldMatt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:16 pm

1. I don't see any on ebay or amazon for sale. (Is this because there is no market?)
2. It's all in what you want to spend: $10 for an original QFD or $30 for one with a weighted base
3. 3D printers take forever. It's more time effective to have 1000 manufactured in China.
4. Is there any new water guns on the market that could use a QFD
5. VHS- not a bad concept, but why would you want to buy one when you could make one?
At what cost of your time and money is it better to buy a QFD off ebay than to build one?

Thanks.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:33 pm

MAdworldMatt wrote:1. I don't see any on ebay or amazon for sale. (Is this because there is no market?)
2. It's all in what you want to spend: $10 for an original QFD or $30 for one with a weighted base
3. 3D printers take forever. It's more time effective to have 1000 manufactured in China.
4. Is there any new water guns on the market that could use a QFD
5. VHS- not a bad concept, but why would you want to buy one when you could make one?
At what cost of your time and money is it better to buy a QFD off ebay than to build one?

Thanks.
1. I do not know what the market is, but I think it would probably not be 100 QFDs, more like 20+
2. Not sure why you want the base to be filled with water, but a more durable QFD is worth more than a original, unless you are a collector.
3. I think it would take no more than 20 hours to print one, so just printing them may be more effective if only a few people want them. It would only cost a few dollars to print each.
4. No, the splashzooka is the newest soaker that can use a QFD, and the last ones were sold about 10 years ago. There are some homemade APHs that can be pressurized via hose, but they have custom QFDs.
5. VHS can shoot, fill speed loaders (optionally), fill super chargers, and have a large nozzle to fill reservoirs. They are about $10, and take minutes to assemble if you have the parts. If you could make an adapter that can thread onto 1/2 threaded PVC and is the right size to insert a QFD nozzle, it could be very helpful.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:30 pm

I have a lot of thoughts on this subject, so here are some things that are part of a good QFD design:
-Wide, Weighted base with Rotating female hose adapter- When I use my QFD, the hose twists and the QFD flips over and over. A combination of these three things should make a stable platform to fill from. Currently I am looking for a cheap way to incorporate this into my UQFD design.
-Reliable, leak free valve design. This should make filling easy and reduce or eliminate spray when filling.
-High flow is a must. If your valve restricts flow then it's a bad design.
-Versatility. The original Super Soaker QFD's could fill any Super Charger capable gun, but nothing else. The second version includes a side valve that you could use to fill a gun. This part suffers from durability issues and restricts flow, although it does a good job or directing the water flow into a nice stream for filling. Also, you could use this to fill water balloons.
; Continued, it would be ideal if the design also made it possible to fill W3 Speedloaders. They are excellent water guns that are close to or superior to Super Soakers in various soaking aspects (Power/Capacity/etc/etc), making them great for some water fights. It would be relatively simple to design a universal filling adapter. The W3 filling device design could be modified slightly, and it would work for this purpose.
-As mentioned before, if it could fill water balloons that would be great.
-Also, it should be a powerful water blaster as long as the hose is on.
-One handed use would be ideal. Whether you are filling, shooting, etc.
-Low price. Depending on what it does, it should be less than 20$ no matter what.
Now if you could combine these features together...that would be a sellable design.
As for just making a replacement QFD, that's a pretty limited market, but you could sell a few on ebay and here. For 20$ +shipping I would say forget it. You might sell a dozen on ebay in a year.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.