eBay Thread of Shame - ^

Selling, buying, shopping for and/or trading water blasters.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed May 18, 2005 8:10 pm

Members have noted problems with various eBay listings from inaccurate product descriptions, plagarized information and image content, and outright false advertising. Some sellers may make honest mistakes that just need pointing out while others are undoubtedly trying to rip others off.

Use this thread to post up links to warn and/or notift other members about problematic eBay listings. As a community, we need to look out for each other. Questionable auctions should either be corrected or be reported depending on the nature of the problem.

For some references, here is a quote from an email received from an eBay representative:
We have found that many people are unaware that using images or text
that they have found on eBay or other sites on the Internet is against
eBay policy. Many of them will change their listings when contacted by
the owner of the material. Should this happen again in the future, in
addition to alerting eBay, please feel free to refer the other seller to
eBay's policy page at:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/ ... mages.html

While there is no foolproof method to keep other members from
downloading your images and saving them, one way to discourage others
from using your images would be to use a graphic editing software to
create watermarks in your images.
For more information on our listing guidelines, please visit our policy
page at the following link:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/policies.html

For information on what can be listed on eBay, please be sure to check
our Prohibited, Questionable & Infringing Items pages:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/item_allowed.html

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

hunter

Post by hunter » Wed May 18, 2005 8:55 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 69801&rd=1

^those stats remind you of anything?
Stealth over speed. Accuracy over firepower. Coordination over chaos.

Only the arrogant claim they do not make mistakes in combat, hence they never learn.

"I have the two greatest weapons: time and patience."

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Thu May 19, 2005 3:51 am

hunter wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 69801&rd=1

^those stats remind you of anything?

I guess we have our first "shame club" member with that seller.

:cps1000: avalon*auctions :blazer:

CPS 2500 stats from isoaker.com
XP 250 stats from isoaker

:cps2000: nasus550 :cps3000:
MXL Description and Images taken from my auction

:cps1500: ohiobucksfan :cps2500:
MXL Description taken from my auction

:cps1000: cashwellspent :blazer:
MXL Description taken from my auction

:cps2000: groovystuffstore :cps2500:
CPS 2100 Image taken from isoaker.com

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1116492992
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

hunter

Post by hunter » Thu May 19, 2005 8:52 am

wow:( lots of stupid/lazy people plagiaurizing...

Only the arrogant claim they do not make mistakes in combat, hence they never learn.

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Thu May 19, 2005 1:21 pm

Man, more people on eBay seem to be getting more lazy. Last year more people were giving their own description. Some people haven't even bothered to put up their own picture.

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Thu May 19, 2005 2:31 pm

The people taking Annihilators description is plagerism, but the avalon auctions aren't because they say the information was from i_soaker

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 19, 2005 3:22 pm

Commander_Gaunt wrote:The people taking Annihilators description is plagerism, but the avalon auctions aren't because they say the information was from i_soaker
Yeah, those ones I'm currently letting slide, but I plan on contacting the seller, anyhow, since I don't like my info being used for commercial purposes (though it wasn't explicitly stated until now on my site). I'll forgive the current auctions, but don't want info used in future ones.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Thu May 19, 2005 4:26 pm

Commander_Gaunt wrote:The people taking Annihilators description is plagerism, but the avalon auctions aren't because they say the information was from i_soaker
Sorcing websites it quite tricky. One actually has to name the owner of the link aswell. The site itself isn't enough. Otherwhise it gives legaly the impression that isoaker is selling.
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Fri May 20, 2005 4:44 am

isoaker_com wrote:

Yeah, those ones I'm currently letting slide, but I plan on contacting the seller, anyhow, since I don't like my info being used for commercial purposes (though it wasn't explicitly stated until now on my site). I'll forgive the current auctions, but don't want info used in future ones.

I can see that with stats, but are you happy to simply have your comments quoted, such as "iSoaker.com calls this gun the "heavy-hitter of the CPS line"?

Personally, I do often get miffed, drawing the line with people pulling complete reviews/descriptions without saying where they got them, but provided that they link to the full review/site (in my case, SSC) I'm amenable, taking it as a compliment. I suppose it varies from individual to individual.
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri May 20, 2005 6:45 am

Info linking (i..e pushing up links to direct auction goers places to read more info) and little bit o' quoting are acceptable, but full stats and review ripping are too much.

How much is too much varies from person to person. I definitely don't like image ripping, particularly for auctions, since it makes me question what the ACTUAL soaker I'd be bidding for looks like.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Fri May 20, 2005 7:16 am

isoaker_com wrote:I definitely don't like image ripping, particularly for auctions, since it makes me question what the ACTUAL soaker I'd be bidding for looks like.

Absolutely. I remember one auction had the picture of a CPS 1500 fake; the seller said he'd got it off the Internet, so whether it was real or not is still unknown...

Also, sellers fail to realise that there may be different versions of a blaster, which may influence the bidding in one way or another.

I suppose a rule-of-thumb is - if the picture is on a white background, ask the seller if he took it himself. :;):

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

Barca

Post by Barca » Sat May 21, 2005 10:05 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true

Mark 2 advertised as mk1, may be innocent mistake
"By the House of Barca may there be eternal enmity towards Rome." Barcid Forever.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Wed May 25, 2005 3:21 pm

Does anyone know how to spell plagiarism?

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Tue May 31, 2005 6:54 am

Casually perusing eBay last night, I located an ad for a CPS 4100 containing description text copied word for word from one of my 4100 ads. :angry:

I reported this to eBay, and within 12 hours, they removed the offending ad. Nice! :cool:

Isoaker, I've been linking directly to your site in my ads for 2 seasons now. Nothing's been mentioned here and you haven't contacted me, therefore I will assume everything is hunky-dory unless the issue is pressed. :p

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue May 31, 2005 8:25 am

Straight linking is fine and even desireable. Lifting content and reposting it into a product description isn't cool. I've no problems with links, but I don't like (and contact) those who lift vast amounts of info and/or images.

hunter

Post by hunter » Tue May 31, 2005 6:03 pm

is it ok to say:
according to isoaker, the CPS2700 has the largest reservoir of any single piece water blaster ever made by larami or something like that

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue May 31, 2005 6:25 pm

hunter wrote:is it ok to say:
according to isoaker, the CPS2700 has the largest reservoir of any single piece water blaster ever made by larami or something like that

Now that's not a direct quote nor would I consider it using too much info. I don't mind the odd stat being used (i.e dimensions and perhaps reservoir capactiy), especially if iSoaker.com is acknowledged as the source of the info. That's cool. However, if an item's description has chunks lifted out from my review and/or has just copied the stats/description from my review pages, it's annoying and something I'd bring up.

The one thing I'd never accept is use of images from iSoaker.com for an auction item since, well, it's not a real pic of the item being sold (unless, of course, it was MY auction :goofy:)

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:44 am

Okay, just to get things clear, would this be acceptable to you (quotation marks and link)?
"The CPS1000 is a great all-purpose blaster, perfect for use as a primary blaster." - iSoaker.com

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:55 am

^ well, one sentence (quoted or unquoted) or a few stats with an acknowledgement and link would be fine. It would fall under fair use as the citation/source of the information is credited, but not just copying larger lengths of work without direct permission. Copying full paragraphs, entire tables, and/or images, even if an acknowledgement is given, ain't cool unless that person had my specific authorization to use that much info. Hope that clears it up. I mean, heck, if people are directly profiting from using large amounts of my info to sell their goods, I'd want a percentage! :goofy:

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:20 pm

I didn't think this warranted a new thread and it certainly isn't shameful, but has anyone ever seen or heard of a CPS 4100 selling for $128.50 on eBay?