Tyler's Shoulder Fired CPH

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
TylerK

Tyler's Shoulder Fired CPH

Post by TylerK » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:02 pm

So I built this for a war we had yesterday (it's basically a a SuperCPS).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3946ny3c3xc3f ... 8.jpg?dl=0

It's one of the the most ergonomic soakers I've shot! I'm able to shoulder fire it quite comfortably which gives it a height advantage.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2y5cobokwqr5 ... 3.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bko4ithxymrse ... 4.jpg?dl=0
I used one of my "laminators" (3" long 4mm straws gave the best performance). I also used Tim's 3/16" Sweeper Nozzle that he used in his POPCAP (from Amazon).

In preliminary testing two layers of 9" long LRT gave 60 feet to last drop (I have to do more testing). I got the 3/8" LRT over a 3/4 hose barb! I tried bike inner tubes but never got it to work with them. They either ripped, or the LRT bulged up and pushed them aside (with 4-6 layers). I don't know how anybody gets LRT to cooperate with inner tubes.

Also I started with a 4" PC case but the inner LRT tube ruptured after a handful of expansions. Currently has a 3" case but the inner LRT tube still popped after about 4 hours of hard use. The LRT can also be filled up by a hose like a splashzooka if you don't want to pump it!

It performed awesomely for the battle we had (20-30 people). The only thing that could even try to stand up against it was the waterzooka that I made with two layers of LRT (but the laminator, nozzle, and 3/4" barb connection fitting on the CPH gave better performance). After that a k-modded 1200 did pretty good; but this still outranged everything except water balloons. Wielding this right alongside a grenadier with balloons and a shield caused a lot of havoc.

SSCBen

Re: Tyler's Shoulder Fired CPH

Post by SSCBen » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Very nice work. Glad to hear it worked well in a battle as well. I think the basic CPH design is underrated and this further confirmed my thoughts.

How did you get the LRT over a 3/4" barb? I tried that before without success and I really would like to do it.

TylerK

Post by TylerK » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:04 pm

I've used silicone grease on the barb before, but sometimes I haven't. Just alot of strength by hand and patience. I usually put a 1/2" barb in first, then a 5/8, and then i try the 3/4". It was a grey sch80 barb (longer than the standard white ones). Actually I have to use a longer barb cause the hose clamps slip off the short ones when I tighten. For the back end of the lrt ive had good success using 1/2" glue sticks or wooden dowel rod cut to about 2-3" long.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:20 pm

Sweet! Not sure how I would like using a shoulder-mounted design (seems like it'd be harder to dodge, and it would give you a blind spot), but you can't argue with 60 feet. Too bad LRT seems to have abysmal reliability. We definitely need a new solution for CPH PCs.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

TylerK

Post by TylerK » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:35 pm

So today I got in a one foot of 1" X 1.5" LRT piece and managed to wrangle it over the middle 3/4" x 1-1/8" piece, for a total of 10/16" (5/8") wall thickness (3 tubes, 35, 25, 30 PSI). While I was testing different nozzles and laminators for range my inner 3/8" tube popped again (all this is in heavily greased 3" pvc). I was measuring at least 64ft to the last drop's' with a slight cross wind up to that point. Now with the inner tube popped I'm still getting 60-62 ft, so it may still be helping a little. When I replace the tube I may have to put it all in 2.5" pipe, but I don't really want to do that.

I didn't mind the shoulder position, since while you run and move you have it in the 'at the ready position', like I would with my ar15. For me it also makes it easier to pump because it braces against your shoulder and is closer to your body (arm doesn't have to reach out so far).

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:06 pm

Wow, this is really cool. How many people were you playing against/with?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

TylerK

Post by TylerK » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:32 am

marauder wrote:Wow, this is really cool. How many people were you playing against/with?

I think about 20 or so altogether at the peak, (ages from adults to kids). Had some good rules set up. Went through at least 2000 water balloons. Kept playing after it got dark, great fun!

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:43 pm

TylerK wrote:
marauder wrote:Wow, this is really cool. How many people were you playing against/with?
Went through at least 2000 water balloons. Kept playing after it got dark, great fun!
!!! I want to see pictures or footage of that. Even better, I want to experience that. Waterballoons are an aspect of water warfare I really want to employ more often. That's gotta be a lot of fun.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:00 pm

TylerK wrote:I didn't mind the shoulder position, since while you run and move you have it in the 'at the ready position', like I would with my ar15. For me it also makes it easier to pump because it braces against your shoulder and is closer to your body (arm doesn't have to reach out so far).
Ah, I definitely get what you mean by that. That's how I always hold CPS 2000s/2500s, and it's one reason I'm a huge fan of their design. In the picture you posted it does look like the PC would block the view over your right shoulder, but it's hard to tell.

How many (real) guns do you have? I only have two (not counting air guns) at the moment, but I want more. AR15s are cool, but here in NY they put this stupid rule into place that requires you to replace the pistol grip with a weird rifle grip thing. It's a lot more awkward to shoot. I don't even see the point of the law. OOOH, pistol grips! So deadly! Our governor is a moron, haha.

I would also like to see pictures from your battle, if you have any. I know how hard it can be to take pictures while also trying to fight, haha.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

TylerK

Post by TylerK » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Oh, in the picture I was hiding my face on purpose too. ;)

Having water balloons and shields in play are pretty cool, especially when you can block all the incoming balloons with a shield, it's a little "epic" (we had four shields total). I think I got hit more by balloons than by soaker (they could equal/exceed my range).

Unfortunately I forgot to get pics or video. I was going to, but then I forgot to tell my wife to get some. Next time I'll rig my waterproof camera to something.

I have a good handful of firearms. :) Here in AZ we have some of the most friendly gun laws in the nation. I might be spoiled. Lol.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 am

TylerK wrote:Oh, in the picture I was hiding my face on purpose too.

I have a good handful of firearms. :) Here in AZ we have some of the most friendly gun laws in the nation. I might be spoiled. Lol.
Bruh... It's like 2016, you don't have to do that anymore... Unless you're like John McCain or something.

I have a shotgun for clay targets and bird hunting. It's pretty fun. I also have a pistol. I do get to shoot all sorts of firearms at work though, so... Kinda spoiled.

TylerK

Post by TylerK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:26 pm

marauder wrote:
Bruh... It's like 2016, you don't have to do that anymore... Unless you're like John McCain or something.
LOL. I greatly DISLIKE John McCain.

TylerK

Post by TylerK » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:01 am

Back on topic. This has 3 LRT layers again (replaced the 3/8" tube with a 1/2"), 1/2" x 7/8", 3/4" x 1-1/8", 1" x 1.5".

Two things I have learned; it's easy to layer LRT with the same OD as the ID of the next one; and it's possible to layer with a bigger OD than the next tubes ID. Hopefully that makes sense, see dimensions above.

This combo likes no laminator and get 64' to the last drop, 60 ft effective/puddles.