Homemade water gun survey (final version)

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
SSCBen

Homemade water gun survey (final version)

Post by SSCBen » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:03 pm

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cd9N9V ... w/viewform

Please take this. Should be self-explanatory. Let me know if you all have any questions or concerns about it here.

Also, if you could post this to wherever you think is appropriate, I'd be appreciative. I'd like as many people as possible to answer this to see where the real interest is.

c0chise

Re: Homemade water gun survey (final version)

Post by c0chise » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:41 pm

Responded. I really want to see some more of those sweet articles from SSC.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks to everyone who responded and advertised the survey. We have 46 responses right now, most from Nerfers. I'll let the survey run for another week or two and then post the results and my interpretation.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:42 pm

Awesome. I look forward to seeing the results.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:56 pm

I filled out the survey and noticed a small mistake on one of the questions. On the question regarding water gun size, the measurement in meters for 2500 size says .75 meters to 0. meters. It may not have been .75 though because I already submitted it and I'm guessing the first number, but the other the second number is 0.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Good catch. Was glaringly obvious after it was pointed out. It's corrected now. Thanks for completing the survey too.

In retrospect, I also should have included a question about buying parts from other individuals or SSC directly and paying via PayPal or whatnot, to see if anyone would be willing to buy custom parts made that route. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:46 am

Ben wrote:In retrospect, I also should have included a question about buying parts from other individuals or SSC directly and paying via PayPal or whatnot, to see if anyone would be willing to buy custom parts made that route. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.
I would buy custom parts.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:05 pm

The survey hasn't received any new responses in a few days now. Looks like I won't like have time to analyze it much until mid-December now, too, so if you want to take a look at the raw data, you can download it here in various formats:

Excel: http://trettel.no-ip.org/survey/Homemad ... es%29.xlsx

OpenDocument: http://trettel.no-ip.org/survey/Homemad ... ses%29.ods

CSV: http://trettel.no-ip.org/survey/Homemad ... es%201.csv

I also might post the survey to some other places. Been thinking about posting to the Laminar Project Forum (people interested in decorative fountains) but the place seems dead.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:56 am

Any guess on when you're going to have the survey analysis up? You should put it on SSC. Things placed on forums have a habit of disappearing when servers change, board versions update, etc.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:03 pm

My semester is done, but I'm moving at the moment and wrapping some other things up. I'll take a look after that. Could be around Christmas that I get to the analysis.

And good idea about putting the analysis on SSC. I'll do that.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:19 pm

Been taking it easy lately. I'll start taking a look at the survey responses in a few days. Not my highest priority at the moment. Just got another response to the survey. Probably will leave it up for several more months, so maybe I'll redo the analysis later.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:41 am

(I know this is a triple post...)

Just wanted to say that I haven't forgotten about this and am currently writing a computer program to do some analysis. Right now I'm focusing mostly on computing the percents of people who answered each question in a certain way, but I also want to do some filtering for people from different websites. Folks from WaterWar.net might have different opinions than those from r/Nerf, for example. We had a lot more respondents from r/Nerf than the water war community.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 pm

r/nerf is a pretty limited subset of the nerf community overall; we should be checking in on the Facebook groups and NH where we can.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:52 pm

HBWW wrote:r/nerf is a pretty limited subset of the nerf community overall; we should be checking in on the Facebook groups and NH where we can.
Yes, it might be worth advertising at other places too. I got by far the most responses from r/Nerf (26 out of 58 responses), WaterWar.net was second (15 responses) and NerfHaven was third (13 responses). I'm writing a script to process the results so that I don't have to redo the analysis when we get some new respondents. I don't use Facebook, so would you mind posting the survey on a few groups? Thanks. Let me know where you post it too so I can add the options to the survey to make it easier for them.

I guess I'll break down the survey into water war folks and Nerf folks to see what differences exist. Without doing any analysis, I was surprised that range was not such a clear winner in the most important factor question. I wonder if Nerfers might value water output more than water war folks.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:49 pm

I posted the survey to Water Warriors Welcome and Shitty Nerfers Welcome on Facebook. There are some larger groups, but I'm not sure if the admins would be okay with it. I might eventually push it to All Nerfers Welcome as well, but a lot of those members will then see it two or three times.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks. Already got two more responses.