Homemade Concepts thread

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
theTman1221

Re: Concepts thread

Post by theTman1221 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Someone mentioned a spongy sword and I had an idea. If any of you have played the video games Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas there is a sword in the game called the shiskebab that has a gas tank backpack with a hose going to the sword and a burner at the hilt wreathes the blade in fire.

My idea is to make a backpack mounted tank with a hose that goes into a grip, and then a valve on the grip would let water flow into a tube full of holes that goes through the center of a foam sword blade of some sort.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:07 pm

That's a really cool idea... And I think I know just how to do it! I saw this Six Flags water sprinkler majig, that's basically a hose with a bunch of little tubes that spray water down the length of it. And, I have seen a Super Soaker Skipping Rope on Ebay (for like 1$) that looks like the same idea. Stick that through a Marauder (Nerf longsword) and add some holes. That could be pretty cool...
The trick would be getting enough water to spray out of the gun to be cool/effective, while not running out too quickly. You would want a nice big backpack tank. Nice idea.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

theTman1221

Post by theTman1221 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:12 pm

soakinader wrote:That's a really cool idea... And I think I know just how to do it! I saw this Six Flags water sprinkler majig, that's basically a hose with a bunch of little tubes that spray water down the length of it. And, I have seen a Super Soaker Skipping Rope on Ebay (for like 1$) that looks like the same idea. Stick that through a Marauder (Nerf longsword) and add some holes. That could be pretty cool...
The trick would be getting enough water to spray out of the gun to be cool/effective, while not running out too quickly. You would want a nice big backpack tank. Nice idea.
My thought wasn't a water spraying sword. I was thinking of the holey tube as a way to wet the spongy material from time to time. When it gets a little dry to turn the valve to re-wet it. I don't think nerf sword foam would be absorbent enough for this. You would want a foam that can get really waterlogged and release water easily.

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:46 am

I had been thinking about a way to re-soak the sword, it seems overly complex to make it built in when you should have a blaster with you already.

The Sword is meant as a way of fighting off the inevitable hordes that will go after a big gun in soakfests.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:14 pm

I have had a couple of thoughts.
One is for a water fight equivalent of a Lanard Scatter Blast grenade. Essentially, a reusable water balloon. You have to fill it with a QFD device (it can't be thrown back at you). If this was actually to be built it would likely be made of balloons.
In case you are wondering, the Scatter Blast has fins and is tip heavy like a throwing dart. So the idea is that it lands head first and sprays water outwards in all directions. The area coverage would likely be better than a water balloon, since it would ideally spray 6-12 jets of water at an upwards angle instead of just flashing outwards like a water balloon. The trick is how to make a reliable firing mechanism, covered with enough foam that it won't wonk someone in the head.

The second idea is for an airgun designed to shoot foam/sponge balls, soaked in water. It's essentially a reusable water grenade/bomb launcher. In theory this would smaller and easier to use than a WBL, with a higher ROF and less range. Oh and I imagine it wouldn't hurt nearly as much as getting nailed with a high velocity water balloon.
The Sceptor paintball gun might work for this, the foam balls for it are designed for paint, so it could actually work stock. If you got hit directly with the sponge ball you would have a nice big wet spot on you.
I can think of a few nerf guns that would be ideal for a sponge grenade launcher conversion. Anyone know where I could get a bunch of spherical/cylindrical sponges ?
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Reading the things about the swords, the Moonlight Greatsword from Dark Souls popped into my head. Bassically it is a rediculously huge sword with a projectile attack. I know some nerfers make swords that shoot darts for the lols, we could do the same for water, especially with that much space to work with.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:20 pm

the Moonlight Greatsword is way to large, the high elven sword from LOTR's would work better (In a city park soakfest I would dress as a LOTR's high elf with a Bow type water gun)

isoaker

Re: Homemade Concepts thread

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:53 pm

For what it's worth, there are already a bunch of random foam water squirting swords. I think I've seen the odd one in some more boutique toy stores.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I have seen a banzai one before, But the sword is just a syringe with foam around it.

A sponge sword would be nice, I would like to see a water warriors sponge sword. It would use a trigger to re-soak from an onboard 20oz tank in the handle, and at a $5 price point it should sell well.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:13 am

I have some birthday money now and am thinking about using it to make the Shadow Strike "splashbow"

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:53 am

It's about time you started working on that. Do you have the plans drawn up?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:21 am

the plans are in my head as I am poor at drawing things I think up (thing that you can look at to draw are much easier)

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:50 am

I had an Idea for the bow action water gun, simply get a backpack equipped piston gun and add a PVC bow to it.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:27 am

I have my "Sword" ready for action now it's just a matter of finding someone to fight with so I can evaluate combat performance.