Price NO OBJECT. NEED Water Cannon!

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
topgun2121

Price NO OBJECT. NEED Water Cannon!

Post by topgun2121 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:20 am

I am a new member and need help.

I am looking for a homemade water cannon. Ideally, I'd like a unit that can launch water 50+ feet.

We hold a very serious Poker Run at our marina with dinghys. It's gotten to the point where people are spending $30,000 to purchase inflatable boats with 70 hp outboard motors. The main point is not, however the poker run itself, but the water gun fights that ensue.

I imagined building a mini, motorized water cannon similar to those you find on fireboats, but they are too cumbersome and heavy to fit onto a 15 ft. inflatable.

If anyone out there has any ideas, I'd be happy to pay whatever it costs to have someone build something for me.

I hope I"m not violating any rules of this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need it for this summer.

Thanks.

--john

isoaker

Re: Price NO OBJECT. NEED Water Cannon!

Post by isoaker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:24 am

Welcome to the forums!

No rules broken and I think some members may be interested, but apart from price, there's the time factor and the guarantee factor. While I don't think our members would try to cheat, since the device would be shipped, there's also the chance of things breaking in transit.

Of course, you'd need to negotiate specific details with the one who ends up offering to build something for you. I know many here have the knowledge, but not sure about their time. For those who are thinking of offering their ability to help, depending on expected costs, you should consider asking for a partial pay in the beginning to help cover estimated materials costs and your time. Be reasonable, but also realistic in how much parts cost and how long you think it'd take you to put something together. Be sure also to consider how you'll end up needing to ship this creation out safely and securely.

@topgun2121: of course, the other option is if you're willing to try to build the device, yourself, with advice for the membership. I know many here are willing to offer their knowledge and experience on building a great water cannon.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

topgun2121

Post by topgun2121 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks, Isoaker for your input.

I think your suggestions are great.

The only thing i will say is that I have been blessed w/ a lot of skills, but working w/ my hands "ain't" one of them. :goofy: In all seriousness, I wasn't able to finish building models when I was a kid. No patience and two left hands.

So, if anyone is willing to work w/ me to ship me a final product, I'm more than willing to do whatever makes the builder comfortable to make something for me!

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:07 am

I have to say, this is quite interesting. So this water-based poker run is turning into a water fight? Very interesting.
I have a few questions:
Where do you live? Shipping may be a non-issue, you never know.
What exactly are you hoping to get out of such a cannon, besides 50 foot range? There are several options, both for size and for function, for such a weapon.
-How much water do you need? You could probably carry up to 4 L without too much of a problem, but any more and you will need a backpack.
-Manual or motorized? The simplest designs involve you pumping up the water cannon just like a super soaker. A possible modification could involve a portable compressor, easy to carry, that would do the work for you.
-How much power? Are you trying to get people a little wet, or knock them right off of the boat? Of course, it could just as easily take out the user...
-Size? Is this going to be something carried, or maybe "a mini, motorized water cannon similar to those you find on fireboat". , except much lighter?
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Drenchenator
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:52 am

SSCentral forum member built something similar to this. He called it the Mother of All River Cannons. It used some kind of motorized pump to take water from a river and propel it 80 feet or so. A similar design could work here.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:47 am

Jon, what state is this poker run in? That might affect who is able to help, considering it may be easier to move something like this by car than shipping it.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:15 am

If you can get a motorized water shooter onboard, that would give you a good advantage over others if they're using hand-pumped blasting. I'd imagine Stream Machines (large syringe tubes you can dip into the water) would be popular due to their simplicity and effectiveness when over a lake.

If any kind of heavy motorized blasting is not what you want, and you want something pump-based, there are a few possibilities that have been mostly unexplored, but are potentially quite effective. A foot pump that works with water would be potentially very useful here, and it's easy to pump from the water directly by dipping a tube down the boat into it.

Anyway, more information on exactly what you need, and perhaps on what opponents are using, could help us determine what could work best.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Somehow when I saw this post earlyer I just knew that the Moawc would get mentioned if not but anyone else by me.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:12 pm

topgun2121 wrote:I am a new member and need help.
I hope I"m not violating any rules of this forum.
--john
Don't worry, as long it shoots water and is under 1000 PSI, your good.

topgun2121

Post by topgun2121 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:13 pm

This event is in upper Ohio in Lake Erie, Sandusky area.

I just opened the link and saw the Mother of all river cannons. I want this!

Anyone know how to build something like this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:38 pm

It's simply one of these pumps with an intake tube running from it into the water, with an exit hose to a nozzle, and diesel/petrol (depending on type) and/or a battery (I'm sure you can get electric versions) to run it.

The water pump is the main component and comes in one piece, so you should be able to just attach bits to it.

topgun2121

Post by topgun2121 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:44 am

So, it's close to game time and have no takers?

Anyone out there interested in making my soaker?

Would greatly appreciate it.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Heh, I live roughly 2.5 hours away from there, give or take. Would this marina you're talking about happen to be at Cedar Point? =p

Best I have is APH and CPH, both of which can dip a tube into the lake easily, but both have less range than a CPS 2000. (APH lacks stream lamination and CPH lacks power.) I don't have the means to build a MOARC or anything else that isn't hand-powered.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:04 pm

I would be happy to build it but there are several problems. Mostly, I live in Canada and there is no way that this is crossing the border. Not even going to try.

It's really not that difficult. Buy the pump, attach some hoses, done. It will cost something like 500$ by the time all is said and done.
Most pumps come with a nice, long intake hose, and some kind of output tube. The intake may have a floatation device attached already, even.
You could probably walk into a hardware store that sells what you need and talk to someone there to get everything you need.
Sorry that I can't be of more help. How much time do you have left, anyways? When is this event?
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.