3" solid piston

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
adronl

3" solid piston

Post by adronl » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:05 pm

I wana figure out how to make a piston that is solid and uses o-rings rather that piston cups from McMaster. Anyone know how to already? Got any clever ideas just remember has to fit inside 3'pvc and not touch the sides so that it may be modified with o-rings!! I plan on using this to finalize a desigin for a hand cannon if I get it all down to a science then I will probably produce a few of em and sell them on e-bay. Also I will just leave the plans or design here for yall just try not to shoot your friends eye out. :x

Drenchenator
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: 3" solid piston

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Using O-rings may not be the best idea at that size. O-rings won't really stay in place given the high forces in a piston water gun.

An easy to make solution would involve rubber sheets.

Buy a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick rubber sheet (I think I've seen these available locally if you look around, but it's also available on McMaster). Buy 5 plastic discs that are at least 2 3/4 inches wide in diameter (but obviously not 3 inches wide), and buy a large and long bolt with several nuts and washers of the same size.

Cut two 3 inch discs out of the rubber sheeting. You can do this two ways: 3 inch hole saw, or just use a circle template or protractor and some scissors. Drill a hole through the center of all of these rubber and plastic discs. Assemble the piston by sandwiching a rubber sheet between plastic discs and repeating. For example:

Plastic disc | Rubber sheet | Plastic disc | Space | Plastic disc | Rubber sheet | Plastic disc

The space to to give the piston enough room that it can't topple over.

Use the bolt, nuts, and washers to secure the the two sealing assemblies together. If all the sizes are correct, if should seal and work well. This would be an easy way to make a piston for any diameter pipe.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

wetmonkey442

Re: 3" solid piston

Post by wetmonkey442 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 pm

I have used a method similar to what Drenchenator described to make pistons for a potato cannon. They work pretty well! Of course using a saw or template is preferable to free-handing a traced circle with a pair of scissors. You can find suitable material at Home Depot or Lowes. It would be labeled as "gasket rubber" and would be found in the general plumbing or toilets and sinks section.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!