Water Balloon Launcher Ammo Improvement. - How to build a WBL mortar shell.

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:19 pm

Most air powered Water Balloon Launchers, either use a very simple carriage to assist in firing or even no carriage at all. While my Douchiantor Water Balloon Launcher was down for repairs, I came up with a new kind of system for firing the balloons. After a little experimenting, I built a specialized shell that massively increased my WBL's range. These shells are built to be used in 3" pvc barrels, but with some changes to the basic instructions, you could probably get a shell to fit any barrel you are using.

Stuff required:

2 yogurt cups,
packing-tape or duct-tape,
scissors,
1 water balloon.

To start with, you have your two yogurt cups.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/7/1 ... .jpg&s=f10

Now you cut off the rims that hold the tops on.

Choose which of the two cups you want as the front part and wrap a piece of tape around the rim, like this. (The amount of tape above the rim is exaggerated for the photo. You want about a quarter inch of tape when your really building it)

Fold the tape inwards and smoothen it along the inside of the cup.

Stack the two yogurt cups bottom to bottom and add two longer strips of tape going down the outside. The tape holds the cups together.

Fill one water balloon, squeeze it slightly and insert in into the cup that you put the extra tape onto.

It should now look like this.

If it was inserted correctly, there should now be a vacuum seal between the shell and the balloon. If you hold the shell upside-down, the balloon should not fall out. Now insert this mortar shell like ammo into your Balloon Launcher, it should slide easily down the barrel.

Launch it and be amazed as it flies farther than any balloon your launcher has previously shot.

Edited By WaterWolf on 1153250975
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:49 pm

Great stuff! Building a WBL isn't very hard compared to actually effeciently firing off WBs, at least in my experience. That's a great article, great pics. I'm definently going to have to test it out next battle.

My one concern is for the structural stability of the shell. How well do they stand up to repeated firings?

As a side note, would you give me permission to repost this article along with pictures on my site, Downpour ?

Soak On

Edited By wetmonkey442 on 1152910247
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:03 pm

^^^ Cool, I didn't know you had that web site, I definitely need to check it out. You have my full permission to publish this wherever you want, as long as you make sure to honer me with its creation.

The front of the shells do crack after repeated use, but you can add additional reinforcing around the front in addition to the strip of tape I mentioned.

I completely agree with you about the part of "Building a WBL isn't very hard compared to actually efficiently firing off WBLs."

I have plans drawn out for an improved WBL that would be even more compact than the Douche, but have better range and be easier to fire. Some time I'll get around to building it then post the instructions. But right now I'm busy working on a homemade rifle, also of my own design.

-B.D.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:36 pm

@Wetmonkey: hey! Let's not be too quick to grab content! Sheesh! :goofy:

@WaterWolf: well, I'd also like permission to re-post your article here at iSoaker.com, though, in the appropriate section.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:47 pm

iSoaker, you know how monkeys are, quick to grab what they like.

Article has been posted on Downpour, and hopefully will spur some more activity site~wise.

This is actually quite a nifty idea, and I definently have tons of yogurt to spare. :goofy:

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:07 pm

Glad too be of help WetMonkey, I'll make sure to tell you when I start constructing my new WBL. This ones current plan is built to be more like a bazooka than an artillery. Easy to shoot, not too heavy, built to be carried over your shoulder and has a stock.

-B.D.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:42 pm

Trust me when I tell you, you can't get any better than a duct taped pringles can. In my opinion there is no better wadding. Your yogurt cups look similar to a plastic cup system we once had.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:16 am

I've never tried a pringles can, but looking at the two, I think the mortar shell desighn is more arodinamic and just plane looks cool.

-B.D.

bb1

Post by bb1 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:44 am

Yes but we just want to soak them not kill them with a flying yogurt cup...

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:07 am

The shell is very light and getting a direct hit with it is probably no different than getting hit normally with a WBL. Because the balloon is at the tip and is still the first thing to strike the target, it probably helps to cushion the cups impact.

-B.D.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:02 am

I've never tried a pringles can, but looking at the two, I think the mortar shell desighn is more arodinamic and just plane looks cool.

You don't want a WBL sabot to be aerodynamic! You want it to stop flying ASAP or else it may fall into an undesirable area, such as in a brook or behind enemy lines. If the sabot causes a lot of friction in the air, it won't travel too far and you can retrieve it more easily.

We used to make a similiar-ish shell, but switched to Pringles cans for the better seal and because they function without doing any work.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:26 am

I guess I'll just have to buy some Pringles, eat em, then compare.

-B.D.

bb1

Post by bb1 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:16 pm

What kind of pringles can, small or large?

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:18 pm

Normal sized, although small ones would probably work as long as the circumference is the same. We've never tried a smaller one.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:09 am

Actually, I think that WaterWolf's idea was not to be used as a sabot round, but more of as a mortar round. The idea of the design is to have the balloon stay in the yogurt cups, thus helping the balloon to become more aerodynamic and fly farther and straighter.

At least I think...

Soak On

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:37 am

You are entirely right wetmonk, thats the whole reason for the suction cup effect between the balloon and the shell.

-B.D.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:31 pm

WaterWolf wrote:Choose which of the two cups you want as the front part and wrap a piece of tape around the rim, like this. (The amount of tape above the rim is exaggerated for the photo. You want about a quarter inch of tape when your really building it)

To WetMonkey: The stuff in Parentheses is just made a small edit that I had forgotten to mention in my first post, so you may want to add that to the instructions on your website.

-B.D.

bb1

Post by bb1 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:40 pm

You eat fat free yogurt? Blegh.... :suspicious:

Well, that gives them more rasor to run away. Who wants to be hit by fat free yogurt? :laugh:

....Unless, you didn't eat that yogurt, you stuffed the balloons with them :angry:

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:09 pm

Ooooo, fat free yogert loaded balloons, that could get nasty.
:oo:

Actualy, no, I don't eat the stuff. A fairly nearby dairy gives us its products that have gone past the expiration date or whatever and we feed it to our heard of pasture-raised pigs.
???

Ya, I know it sounds weird, a pig farming water warrior.
But who says a farmer has to be out of touch with the world.
:D

On the plus side of living here, I have access to a huge amount of forest land, that I hope to host many a water war on. Their are also plenty of strong springs up-hill of us, I'm hopping to tap one or two and give both bases running water.
:bringiton:

-B.D.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:26 pm

Ooooo, fat free yogert loaded balloons, that could get nasty.

If someone hit me with a yogurt-filled balloon, I would fill a water cannon with the same stuff, run them down, and give them 110x of yogurt point blank...which would drench their entire body in yogurt...and if they were young, they would be knocked off their feet by the blast as well... :laugh: