Name My New QFD Device!

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
soakinader

Name My New QFD Device!

Post by soakinader » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:41 pm

I'd like to start off by saying, holy crap! This project has taken a looong time. But, finally, it is finished. It is simple, cheap, universal, works great, and I hope that I can see this mass-produced, and used to save water on battlefields everywhere.

Objectives:
Must be able to:
-Fill water balloons
-Spray attackers
-Have modular/multiple spray nozzles
-Fill Super Chargers
-Fill Speedloaders/Storm guns
-Be used with one hand
-Turn off automatically when not being used

And here is the result, the "Ultimate" system:
^Please ignore the 1/2pvc coupler in the top-right. This is an old picture, replace that with the quick detach connector, Seen in this picture of the "Basic version":

So, what you are looking at is the end result of months of twiddling. My initial design was to basically re-invent the QFD, building a spring-loaded push valve like the Super Soaker/Speedloader QFD. After many cuts, glues, o rings and springs, I had a very interesting looking device that did not work. Let's just say it had a tendancy to explode. But then one day, I found a cheap waterstop set at Rona for 4$. Same as expensive Gardeena ones.

The same day, I found the tee at a thrift store, for 2$. I found a second one at the same store a week later. So, off I went to Rona to buy the right fittings.
Don't go to Rona to buy fittings.

All you really need is the 5$ brass female hose fitting, that somehow converts to 3/4 inch M/F. Once you have that, you can use as many FF adapters as you need.
I know that my bushing does not go all the way into the 3/4" FF, but it doesn't leak from there at all, and I couldn't make it any tighter.
Anywho, what you end up with is a tee with two quick detach connectors. Just insert the male end and click it into place. The top one you can fit with any hose sprayer you like. I have seen one that has an adjustable, narrow brass nozzle that would be perfect for filling balloons. I don't have that, and at one point, I dropped the thing onto the concrete and bam! Broke the spray attachment clean off. Luckily, that part isn't entirely necessary.
The bottom part is equipped with a water stop. Water pressure forces the plug into the hole, which makes the little cross-shaped piece stick out. When you insert a connector, it pushes the plug open, like a reverse pull valve. I used a female hose connector, into which I inserted this rubber piece. The diameter of the flat surface on this rubber piece is between 8mm for the hole and 23mm edge to edge. What you need is any rubber piece with as large a hole as possible for maximum flow (up to 11mm) with the total diameter from a minimum of 17mm to a maximum of 23mm in width (if you want the piece to fit inside of the female hose connector). The more surface area, the easier it will be to fill. I don't have all of the speedloaders, and it should be noted that the Speedloader nozzles vary in size, but what I have created should work with all of them. Certainly it works with the 1000 and 1500.
I added a flat rubber ring from an EX 630 cap (knock off, sub-CPS 2000 sized "supa soaka" or something from Canadian Tire) to prevent the connector from going in all the way, which would leave the valve open, requiring you to use both of your hands to remove it and stop the flow. You can use any thin 2mm plastic ring. So all you do is push it against your water gun's filling port, and it will squirt water in until you stop pushing. And the quick-detach fitting stays in! You can use this to fill the reservoir of any soaker with ease, or even as a riot blast (about 20X) if you hook you fingers over the end around the hole and squeeze. The duration and range are only dependant on your hose pressure. I did not have this ring on the "ultimate" QFD with the hose sprayer (before the sprayer broke), and if you pushed too far it would lock. (like it does in the video) If I ever make it again, I will add that ring. But for now, until I find a better hose sprayer, I will use the Basic QFD device:

This has all of the features of the complete QFD, except that it has much less parts (cheaper), can't fill balloons, but is not as easy to spray people with. All I did was remove the tee and a 3/4" FF coupler, and screw it back together. You really need two wrenches and some teflon tape to make everything work nicely. Both of my devices were kept pressurized for over an hour in the sun, and I don't think there is much of a chance they will explode. In fact, there is a tiny leak around the connectors that will keep the pressure from building too much. It's a garden hose. They leak. But if you really wanted to go crazy with glue and brass, I suppose you could seal it completely and not have it explode... maybe.
I would like to briefly point out that, yes, you have to line up the QFD and the QFD port and push straight to fill your soaker. I don't have any normal qfd's to compare it with, but it isn't hard. I would also like to mention I am considering building a stand so that the QFD device points straight up like normal QFD's.
I have videos of the complete device, including filling a Speedloader 1000 and a Monster. Only I would like to edit the videos, and I can't upload them to Imageshack for some reason (MP4 format).

Name my device!

I would like to have a three or four letter acronym, something catchy and meaningful. I would like it to include some of the words describing what makes it unique, like Auto/Automatic/Waterstop/Autostop", "Universal" (maybe Versatile, I would like to pay homage to the VHS, but I want mine to stand out) "Ultimate" (a bit presumptuous, maybe?" and maybe something along the lines of "if fills things, hurls water, and fills things that hurl water".

Any and all suggestions are welcome (to be judged, beware) and the best sounding name wins.
In fact, if you come up with one good name and a slight variation for the basic or the ultimate system, even better.

The price details:

1X $2.00 3/4"MMM tee
3X $1.60 3/4"FF adapter

1X $4.78 1/2"FF brass hose fitting
1X $0.68 1/2"F -> 3/4"M bushing
-OR-
1X $5.?? 3/4"FM brass hose fitting

4$ + tax(.48) for water stop set

Things I had/found previously
Rubber gasket thing (cheap)
Anti-lock 2mm ring (cheap)

Tools:
Teflon Tape
2 pliers/wrenches

Basic "Simple" system : 11$
Complete/ultimate/Tee system : 16$
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Name My New QFD Device!

Post by SEAL » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:36 pm

WOW. That's cool. Can't really think of any good name ideas; what about Ultimate Quick-Fill Device (UQFD)? The only problem is, it wouldn't be of much use in the kinds of environments that I fight in.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 pm

SEAL wrote:it wouldn't be of much use in the kinds of environments that I fight in.
What do you mean by that? Please be specific. If you are nowhere near a source of pressurized water... obviously it wouldn't help. But what are you talking about?
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:56 pm

I usually fight in the woods where the only water sources are streams, lakes, etc. Heck, aside from testing, I've only filled a blaster from a hose at 2 wars this year, and maybe a few small battles.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:05 pm

BTCA

Better Than CA(99)'s.
:goofy:
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:07 am

I see you took the suggestion of threading the female waterstop hose connector into the PVC coupler directly. Great to see it all together and working!

May I also suggest U-QFD, but as the Universal Quick-Fill Device.

Fishfan
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Fishfan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:14 am

I have an idea- SuperQFD. Not super fancy, but it follows the tradition of Ben's homemades; SuperCPS, SuperCAP, SuperCannon, etc.
I like this idea. Now all that is left for homemades to re-invent is a nozzle selector.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Fishfan wrote:I have an idea- SuperQFD. Not super fancy, but it follows the tradition of Ben's homemades; SuperCPS, SuperCAP, SuperCannon, etc.
I like this idea. Now all that is left for homemades to re-invent is a nozzle selector.
Many have made crude nozzle selectors (screw-on, screw-off), but GJIV has come the closest to a proper homemade nozzle selector on his 2k.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Frederic.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:15 pm

mr. dude wrote:Frederic.
I have to say, so far I like this one the most. But seriously, thanks for the suggestions everybody.

I am thinking about calling it the UHD- Universal Hydration Device.

Like?
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:51 pm

little odd, but has character.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:55 am

Dude that's totally badass. I just discovered the gardeena style quick connect sets. I have some ideas for what I wanna do with those when I get home, but I am going to have to make one of these myself.

CRAG - Comprehensive Refill Allocating Gadget
CRAIG - Comprehensive Refill Allocating Infusion Gadget
BRAD - Blaster Refill Allocating Device
URR - Universal Refill Receptacle
UHG - Universal Hydration Gadget
UAD - Universal Ammo Dispenser
USRD - Ultimate Soaker Refill Device
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:23 pm

marauder wrote:Dude that's totally badass. I just discovered the gardeena style quick connect sets. I have some ideas for what I wanna do with those when I get home, but I am going to have to make one of these myself.

CRAG - Comprehensive Refill Allocating Gadget
CRAIG - Comprehensive Refill Allocating Infusion Gadget
BRAD - Blaster Refill Allocating Device
URR - Universal Refill Receptacle
UHG - Universal Hydration Gadget
UAD - Universal Ammo Dispenser
USRD - Ultimate Soaker Refill Device
CRAG- Crag, Crag, Crag. Crag! -No.
CRAIG- Better than "Frederic", although that depends on what "Frederic" stands for.
BRAD- Do you know anyone named Brad? Besides, this fills water balloons too.
URR- Urrr... Urrrmmm.... No.
UHG- I kind of like this one, but Uhg!
UAD- Will this dispense nerf darts, BB's, paintballs, and various candies? I think not.
USRD- Sounds cool, like a Russia/US combined project, but what about the Underwater Science Research Division? I don't think they would like that.

How about Complete Aqua Refilling Device? Or Blaster Filling Gadget?

Haha, I think I will go with BFG for the basic unit, and UFD/UQFD (Universal Filling Device) for the complete version, which can fill anything, including water balloons.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:36 pm

like before:

Odd, but has character.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:02 pm

where are you from?? :goofy:

Is it me, or are the gadgets in the UQFD red and white? maybe it could be like the flag where you are from. :cool:

C~ANADA
Q~UICK
F~ILL
D~DEVICE

oh yeah!

*meant for funny purposes, no offense intended.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:47 pm

atvan wrote:BTCA

Better Than CA(99)'s.
:goofy:
Hey, you can't beat the Original. Plus mine has far better flow on the combat nozzle.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:06 pm

What do you mean by flow? You can use any nozzle you want on it, and I ended up making the nozzle linear with the hose connector, and the UQFD perpendicular. I really need to replace that picture..
I find 'em, I fix 'em.