HEY DIYers!!!!!New Pump on the market!

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Fatalness

HEY DIYers!!!!!New Pump on the market!

Post by Fatalness » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:37 pm

I was at Harbor Freight today, and saw this near the cash register going for US $12.99. Online for US $7.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use- ... 66418.html

It's a Liquid/Air hand pump with rotatable intake/outake ends.
It's 9 Inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

The placement of the intake/outake seems like it can be very good for us. I think it makes it easier on us than making it yourself, bike pumps, or traditionally end placed pumps

I'm not sure how much volume it can move, but throwing it out there! I would love to see what we can do with this.

Andrew

Re: HEY DIYers!!!!!New Pump on the market!

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:55 pm

1.5" is a little on the wide side (although I think that's external diameter, internal won't be much less), but it might be a better (as in easier to incorporate) solution than the bike pump. It all depends how much pressure it can take as it's designed to move fluid not pressurise them (although the schrader valve adaptor would suggest some ability to build and hold pressure).

You're right though, it would be interesting to see how well it performs.

Fatalness

Post by Fatalness » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:20 pm

the item description says it can also be used to pump bike tires, so hopefully that means it can hold some significant amount of pressure

EDIT:
i quote
"This transfer pump works with any low-viscosity fluid to fill or empty engines, tanks and more. The 51" long hoses give you plenty of distance to work and the molded handle allows for comfortable manual pumping. The included inflation needle transforms this pump into an air pump to inflate tires on bikes or cars. This transfer pump is also ideal for changing oil, siphoning gas and most fluid related maintenance"

DO my eyes deceive me? "inflate tires on bikes or cars?"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:53 am

Fatalness wrote:DO my eyes deceive me? "inflate tires on bikes or cars?"
That doesn't surprise me. If it can pressurise a bike tyre, then it can pressurise a car tyre. My bike's tubes need between 40 and 65 psi, whereas my parents car with low-profile road/sports tyres need between 25 and 30 psi. You may not think that's much of a difference, but my bike is a MTB. With a roadie you're looking at something around 100 psi!

The large volume of the pump (~63 cubic inches) will allow you to fill a car tyre quicker (large volume) but the large diameter of the pump (~1.5 inches) makes it harder to build higher pressures (with air a larger volume pump can generate higher pressures as the difference in volume between the pump extended and the pump retracted is higher). This isn't so much of a problem when pumping air, as you need to pump large volumes to make any difference to the pressure when it's higher, as the air compresses. When pumping water this does become an issue as water is essentially incompressible, and the pressure generated is equal to the force you apply divided by the area you apply it to (P=F/A). so a smaller diameter pump requires less effort to build the same pressure. A larger volume pump won't necessarily allow you to reach a higher pressure for the same reason.

This pump probably will work for pressurising blasters, but we don't know how effectively until someone tests it. :goofy:

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 am

Don't forget, Andrew, that wen filling a car tire, you are not only pressurizing the air, but lifting the whole car.

I do agree that it seems to wide. :(
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:36 am

atvan wrote:Don't forget, Andrew, that wen filling a car tire, you are not only pressurizing the air, but lifting the whole car.
Depends on the car. :goofy:

You are still achieving the same pressure though, even though the car is compressing the tyre under it's own weight, so in theory you apply the same force. After all, if you raise the car off the ground the tyre pressure does decrease slightly.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:39 am

^I remember watching Jeremy Clarkson drive that "car" into the Top Gear building. :D
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 am

I have pressurized my car tires with a bike pump before. They only need about 28 PSI and it doesn't take as long as you'd think, even with the huge volume. My bike takes 120 PSI.

I wonder how this pump stacks up against a typical floor bike pump. If it's strong, it could fill a WBL, saving you like $40+.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Fatalness

Post by Fatalness » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:35 am

for lack of money and inexperience i'm afraid i can't be the person to run the tests. just caught my eye while in line for the register

Fatalness

Post by Fatalness » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Just wondering if anyone's had a look at this pump yet?