My new CPS system (Almost Done!!!)

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Fishfan
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: My new CPS system

Post by Fishfan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:51 pm

YES! Just tested it. Super easy to move, and holds a really good seal! Now I'll just put on a duct tape handle and cement it on! I can't wait to get this thing going!
I'm also going to test it a little bit more.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Good to hear! What are you using as a reservoir? A solar shower in a backpack maybe?

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:20 pm

A solar shower. 5 gallon. I'm not sure how I can fit it in a backpack. I have one internal frame backpack, but it would be kind of strange to carry that around. External frame backpacks are so expensive for teen like me. TBD.

I have completed the water gun! Except for nozzles. I have one drilled, and I will drill another later or maybe tomorrow. I just have to wait to 6 pm (Eastern time-same as New york city) tomorrow to let it cure. Too long to wait! :lol: :cps2000: :cps3000:

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 am

I reccomend hose barbs- pre-drilled, nice and smooth, longer, never lopsided... amd there are not a lot of sizes, but enough.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:28 am

I think I will try some of those.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/sdc11257r.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/sdc11256f.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... 255tq.jpg/

I just want to make sure those clamps are tight enough. I don't want to pinch the LRT, but then again, I don't want it to fly off, either.

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:42 am

They look like they could be tightened more- cutting the LRT shouldn't be too much a problem with that duct tape.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:55 am

Okay. My dad just made me extremely cautious about cutting the LRT. Maybe one or two turns?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Fishfan wrote:A solar shower. 5 gallon. I'm not sure how I can fit it in a backpack. I have one internal frame backpack, but it would be kind of strange to carry that around. External frame backpacks are so expensive for teen like me. TBD.
I used a 20l (about 5 gallons) solar shower and I just used a normal 25l backpack and cut a hole in the bottom of it which I reinforced with a rubber washer. I added a small isolation ball valve to stop it from leaking when disconnected. I have recently added some quick hose connectors as well.

If your worried about cutting the LRT you could add a little more duct tape.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:01 pm

I put about 3 layers of duct tape. Is that enough?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:34 pm

It should be, but it's best to check (tighten the clamp, and if it looks like it's digging in too much, add more).

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:45 pm

It should be all right, it depends on how long the bolt is.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Its about an inch long. I put the clamp directly over it, I did it by feel. Anyways, I'm going to test the water gun in precisely 6 minutes! I can't wait! :D

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:09 pm

At only an inch, and based on how far from the head of the bolt the clamp is, I wouldn't put a huge amount of faith in it. The clamp is only holding onto the very end of the bolt, and doesn't have to go far to come loose and fly out under pressure. You could remove some of that extra LRT on the inner layer to get the bolt further into the tubing and give the clamp more to bite on.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Well, we will see how it goes. I won't have my hopes too high, but right now I just want to see if it works. Wish me luck!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Good luck! Just don't put anything of value behind that bolt in the LRT until you've full pressurised and de-pressurised it a few times.
:soakon2:

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks! :soakon2:

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:40 pm

I've fired it! it works really well, except for the fact that my nozzles suck(I get a very rough stream, not laminar at all), and there is a slight leak around the bolt in the LRT, and the pump slightly leaks. But even with bad nozzles, I still get about 35-40(guesstimating) feet. That is better than my scatter blast, the best water gun I have other than my homemade. Also, I noticed that it is bulky and awkward to carry around. Aldo the plastic ties scuffed up my arm, but maybe some electrical or duct tape around the sharp edges will fix that. I think I will have to get different drill bits, work on my drilling skills, and seal the LRT. I think I will use a hose barb and a an endcap, because my dad said it is difficult to seal around a bolt.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:57 am

Some pics of the full thing from each side (with and without PC cover if possible) would be nice. Firing pics would be even better! :D

35-40ft isn't brilliant for a homemade (probably down to the nozzles) but as that's a guesstimation, it may be more like 50ft, you never know.

My most effective nozzles are the hose connectors. They offer a smooth change in diameter rather than an abrupt change. For smaller nozzles try (as atvan suggested) hose barbs, if posssible with a smooth transition in internal diameter. You could use those things SEAL used in his nozzles in his SCH.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Well, I measured to how far I got, it was 37 or 38 feet. Anyways, that doesn't matter right now, because the two inner layers of the LRT popped. :cry: I know exactly how it happened. When I was trying to get the bolt in farther, I was trying to screw the bolt in, and that twisted the inner layer of the LRT. When the smaller layer popped, the sudden pressure popped the second one, although thankfully the outer layer stayed intact, keeping me dry. I guess I'll just have to order some more. :( . This time I'll order 2 feet of each. Next time, instead of a bolt, I'm using a hose barb and endcap.

About the hose connectors, what are those? I know of hose barbs, but not hose connectors. Could you give a link to one from Lowes or Home depot?
Last edited by Fishfan on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.