Accuracy Improvements

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Gold Hawk

Accuracy Improvements

Post by Gold Hawk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:00 am

I was wondering where I could find cheap scopes for some of my long-range soakers.

And also, how to make sights for some of the mid-range ones.

IMPORTANT: I do not want to hear stuff like this:

"Scopes and sights will not improve your aim. Aiming's all up to you."

OR

"Scopes and sights are not helpful in water warfare because you aren't shooting water in a straight line like a bullet."

I've heard it before; I don't need to hear it again. :|

-Gold Hawk
HydroHawks Command CenterNEW REPORT! APARTMENT MASSACRE!

"Missing isn't the worst part. The retaliation is." -Commander Gold Hawk

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." (Be strong, brave the water.) -Motto Of the HydroHawks

isoaker

Re: Accuracy Improvements

Post by isoaker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:21 am

What is your definition of "cheap"? Amazon.com has some scopes listed for ~$15.. heck, I see one for $7.00
See: this link

Can't say how good these scopes are, but should be functional enough for most water blasters.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:02 am

What type of scope do you want? A standard optical one with zoom and crosshairs or a red-dot scope? Red-dot scopes have no zoom but project a red dot onto the glass of the scope. Due to some weird optical effects, the red dot will show you where the gun is pointing even if you move your head back and forth while looking through the scope. Not very good for range, but it'll probably suit you more here.

And right, no questions asked...

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:13 am

Silence wrote:What type of scope do you want? A standard optical one with zoom and crosshairs or a red-dot scope? Red-dot scopes have no zoom but project a red dot onto the glass of the scope. Due to some weird optical effects, the red dot will show you where the gun is pointing even if you move your head back and forth while looking through the scope. Not very good for range, but it'll probably suit you more here.

And right, no questions asked...
I just want a classic crosshair style.

-Gold

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:40 pm

For sights, if I started trying to get them on, I'd be starting with a 1/2 CPVC tube (or a 1/2 PVC tube if you don't have CPVC), then perhaps putting a tick (don't know the proper term for this) in it to create a center reference point. Mounting the tick to the side instead of from the bottom, as well as placing the tube itself slightly to the side would be a good idea so that you can see what's below since you'll obviously have to aim slightly upward. Now, you could replace the tick with something crosshair-like, I guess it's a matter of preference. Next problem, no zoom. If you don't want to buy a scope, you may be able to find some cheap (like, those paper-foldup ones) binoculars and get the lenses out, then put then in the PVC tube. Or perhaps if they're just regular binoculars, perhaps you could seperate them and mount one on, then using a marker to draw crosshairs, tick marks, etc. that'll help center the crosshairs.

Unfortunately, I have never experimented with any of this so I doubt many of these ideas would work that well. Still, if you want to try and experiment, and don't need anything fancy, those are my ideas.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Go looking for airsoft optics. Waterguns don't have the range capabilities to make scopes useful, so go as cheap as you can. If you get some of the good red dot optics like Silence was describing above, I might offer to buy 'em off you.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

teamfear

Post by teamfear » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:57 pm

I found a good site that shows how to make scopes for under 12 dollars
scopemaking.net/smallens/smallens.htm

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:23 pm

Welcome to iSoaker.net!

The link you posted is incorrect, but I assume you meant this page: http://scopemaking.net/smallens/smallens.htm

Interesting idea. I might try it if I have some space cash.