Water Ballon MORTAR

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Eurofighter

Post by Eurofighter » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:44 pm

would it be possible to make a water balloon mortar ie:

something like a WBL but shoots up(at about an angle of 75 degrees) to bombard say 10m radius

it would have to be less than 0.5m high and 0.5 m wide and able to shoot at least 40 m away

And less than $35 if pos

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:20 pm

In theory this sounds like a good idea to me, however in water fights, I think that the precision for the user would be far less than the alternative: a handheld one shooting in a more straight manner.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:12 pm

I swear someone made a water balloon shotgun that used a 3 inch barrel with shells that had the small water balloons in it before. This just reminded me of it. All you'd have to do is make a shell with lots of small water balloons in it and use it in a water balloon launcher. That shouldn't be very hard to make. ;)

As for the price you quoted, you could cut it close if you buy small quantities of things you usually buy extra of like PVC cement, primer, PVC pipe, a PVC ball valve to save money, and teflon tape. Though, you usually can't buy very small quantities of teflon tape, and the small quantities of PVC cement and primer are rip-offs. You'd be better off saving your money and doing things right.

Edited By Ben_ on 1199924102

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:03 am

I've been thinking about this on for awhile which partly explains why I haven't replied just yet. When I think of mortars, I think of rather high-arcing projectiles. To do something similarly with water balloons, but doing it cheaply, the main thing that comes to mind are those slingshot-based 1- or 3-man launchers, but instead of using people, to mount the elastic cords into something like a plastic garbage can with its bottom removed and loading it up with a handful of small water balloons. The launchers would also have to be mounted on some sort of stand (perhaps made using an old chair or something) so that the cords can be extended for firing. If that doesn't make sense, I can always try drawing up a rough sketch of it.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Eurofighter

Post by Eurofighter » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:21 am

could you draw up a quick sketch please

the actual idea that sparked this was the idea of putting a WBL launcher like thing upright on the ground and then pump for pressure. Then use a trigger for a firing mechanism

Edited By Eurofighter on 1200068660

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:13 pm

Just as a note, I have not actually tried this particular design, thus not 100% sure how effective it would be. Aiming with it would be rather difficult. Range would depend on how many balloons are loaded and how strong the elastics used are. Main dangers are if the elastics break when stretched, potentially snapping against the user or, of course, if someone happens to be looking down the barrel as the water balloons are launched.

This design is merely a suggestion and is lacking in a lot of specific details. If you opt to build it or something like it, you assume full responsibilities over your device.

Croc

Re: Water Ballon MORTAR

Post by Croc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 pm

Not a bad idea iSoaker.

You could even use the latex tubing from Home depot, since it has all the flexibility and tensioning ability that you would require. That would actually work. Unless, you wanted to get fancy and make a compact mortar with a PC for multiple shots on one charge. I have an idea, if you are interested, in how that could work.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:10 am

@Croc: if you've got an interesting concept, I think many would be interested in ideas you'd be willing to share. I know I would. :cool:

All my design is pretty much a means of turning a three-person WBL into a one-man operation by replacing two of the people required by a piece of equipment. In actuality, a garbage can is not needed at all; just some means of having a couple of points at a fixed width at which to attach the elastics to. There are undoubtedly slicker designs some could come up with.

Croc

Post by Croc » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:17 am

Firstly, the elastics should be replaced by the LRT that you can buy from Home Depot in 10 ft. lengths.

Now... on to my idea.

You need to get a few Tees and elbow joints, as well as some of the cross like elbow joints. It will cost alot, but the number of shots you would get would be simply amazing. You have something like 5 PCs, all pressurized to a certain psi. If possible, you make them interchangeable, so that you can easily swap PCs, making it faster to reload. I will do a PVC designer mockup, and then it will be better understood. The PC will have a ball valve on it, and you can connect it to a solenoid for launching, or just use a ball valve for the launching. If you use the solenoid, you can simply open the ball valve once you have the PC attached, and then trigger the solenoid, launching the water balloon. You can make supports, and it would be adjustable to ~45-85 degree angle, thanks to a smaller piece of PVC used as a rail, and the supports have a bolt, so you can tighten them to secure them in. Once I make the mockup, I will edit this post.

EDIT: Here is the design. Metal ball valve can be replaced by a solenoid. Look at it on a 45 degree angle, i forgot to rotate the pieces.

robotwarsrules

Post by robotwarsrules » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:06 am

when i think of a water balloon mortar i think of a metre of drainpipe with a endcap on one end and then with a massive spring inside :D !!!
My armoury
  • helix, flash flood, black widow, 2x jet, stingray