New Launcher Video - Water Balloon Cannon in Action

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:11 pm

Well we finally got around to filming the video of my team's launcher in action. Here it is:

Launcher Video

This video is about 7 minutes long and shows much more of the launcher than my previous video (which only showed about 4 seconds of actual shooting footage).

In the video the launcher was fired at approx. 150 PSI every shot, this is maximum pressure and we don't normally use these pressures when firing at people in water wars since the impact is so great. You'll notice that most of our shots are low angled, we didn't film any 45 degree shots since they well and truly clear the local oval and I have no hope of seeing them in the camera lens.

Hope you like it; the old thread with the short video and pictures can be found here.

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:29 pm

Very well done.
I admire the breech loading mechanism, as well as the side-by-side pc/barrel setup.
Also, the use of a tripod is quite nice.
It is infrequent that you see people pressurize at 150, but as you said it is not standard for you.

Drenchenator
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:04 pm

Looks great!

I'm surprised I didn't notice this launcher before. The setup is very clean. The second chamber and the breech definitely let this launcher perform better in battle.

I do have some questions. What diameter is the barrel? What are the launcher's dimensions and weight? It looks like an overall good build.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:43 pm

You know, with a little bit of work, I bet you could get a working clip on that thing.
Your rotating breach would be just right for a practicaly jamming-free loading system.

@LT. Col. Drench:
I believe the PVC is 2".
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:47 pm

^ Yep, the barrel has a diameter of 2" although the pressure chambers are 3".

The launcher is 168cm (66") long and according to my bathroom scales it weighs 7kg (15.4 lbs).

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:14 am

It makes sense to have the pressure chambers of a different diameter than the barrel, it will save space to do so, because more compressed air can be acquired in a wider barrel without taking up as much space as you would with 2". I wish I had thought of it.
Although it really does seem like a simple, straightforward notion, it is definitely one that I missed. In my launcher, I only used 3".

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:02 am

I envy your water balloon launcher. The Douchenator is nothing compared to it.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-