How far would a 6" PVC fire? - Need to know.

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Pikey

Post by Pikey » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:20 pm

How far would a 6" PVC cannon fire, however hard it would be to make one.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:40 pm

That's a pretty generic question. Seperate pressure chamber? Who knows, I don't think anyone has made one. Above 3", piping gets a little expensive.

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:45 pm

Far. Quite far. You'd need a good deal of power behind it though. 6" seems somewhat impractical.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:51 pm

Are we talking about a Water-Balloon-Launcher here or a Water-Cannon?
Also, I would need to know valve size, lenght of the pressure-chamber, wether there are any elbows or twists in the system, etc.
Estimating a homemades range before you've built it can be an extreamly hit or miss question (if you'll pardon the pun).
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:00 pm

@WaterWolf: horrid pun! :goofy:

At any rate, as cobralex297 and WaterWolf noted, the question posed is too vague to even begin estimating. Can you give us more insight into your thoughts?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:17 pm

If you make a 6 inch diameter piston water gun similar to my Supercannon II, I'd imagine you would get slightly increased range over Supercannon II due to the increase in water volume and therefore stream stability. I've noticed that short bursts shoot slightly less than longer ones likely due to the weight of the water in the back of the stream limiting the effects of drag to a certain extent. Though, I think a 6 inch cannon would really be a waste of money because it would be far too heavy, expensive, and have a lower pressure rating than a 4 inch cannon.

As for whether or not a water cannon is hard to make, actually, I found the construction of Supercannon II to be remarkably simple once I figured out which materials to use. I'd say it's easier than the APH aside from getting the piston in the PVC, which can be a little tricky, but definitely not hard. The thought that homemade water guns are hard to build is a myth.

If you're talking about 6 inch water balloon launchers, well, I wouldn't suggest that because 6 inch diameter water balloons don't sound too fun. Sound dangerous.

Edited By Ben_ on 1186280388

Pikey

Post by Pikey » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:38 am

I really want to know what the average range of a PVC cannon with the largest diametre possible to make by a civilian.

Drenchenator
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:54 am

The largest diameter pipe used for both water cannons and water balloon launchers is 4"; 6" just isn't common or cheap enough. Ben's SuperCannon II shot 73 feet. The best water balloon launchers shoot over 500 feet.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:31 am

Good to see you posting again, Colonel.

@Pikey: What you ask in your last post isn't really possible. You can get the average range of the distance of a 4" water balloon launcher, which is the biggest (not necessarily most powerful) launcher currently in use.
You cannot, however, acquire the average range of the launcher with the largest diameter possible to use, because that would just be impossible. This is impossible because we do not know what the largest is, we most likely haven't used it with our 4" launchers, and thus we cannot acquire an average range.