3rd Generation Douchenator

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
DX

Post by DX » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:42 pm

Well, I finally got my act together and assembled it. A good year and 3 design changes later! It is about the same length as the 2nd generation and actually might be 3-9 inches shorter [I haven't glued it yet]. As promised, the 3rd generation launcher is multi-shot and is designed to meet the Professional Stage's standards for Artillery Battle Practicality. The 3rd not only remains a mobile assault launcher, but gives you more shots faster. A good Professional Stage Artilleryman should be able to fire 4 high-power shots in a minute. This WBL is capable of 3-5, double the 1st and 2nd generation Douches. All of the 3 sections can be unscrewed and swapped for other pieces, giving you maximum versatility. The only thing that I couldn't include was water cannon ability. Oh well. When you can unload 4 balloons in a minute, you don't miss the hybrid function.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:54 pm

How bad is the "drop-off" on this thing? I mean, do you have to seriously change your aim by the fourth shot?

Nice though, I'm waiting to see pictures.

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:10 pm

Wow, this sounds like it'll blow mine out of the water...I'm curious though, how will you fire 4 times in one minute? Do you re-pressurize each time? Like silent guy, I'm waiting for some pictures.
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS 3000 (w/ MI:Overload Backpack)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

DX

Post by DX » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:41 pm

You can fire 3-5 times with one pressurization. I could have made it more by making the pc larger, but then it would lose significant battle practicality. Due to the small size of the center chamber, I don't think the range will be anywhere as high as the 1st and 2nd generation. Then again, you can let the whole tank go at once by firing with both valves open.

There's a barrel, pc, and center pc. You pressurize the pc and center pc with the pc valve open, firing valve closed. Load the balloon, close the pc valve, open the firing valve. Shot 1 is done. Close the firing valve, open the pc valve, let the air equalize while loading the next balloon. Close the pc valve, open the firing valve. Shot 2 is done. Repeat until the remaining pressure has dwindled. Capacity is about 5 shots [the glue is not dry so I can't test this], although expect to have weak power on the 5th and possibly somewhat lower power on the 4th as well.

I'll repeat that I have not tested it yet, for I will let the glue set overnight. Range might be around 200-300ft, due to the small center pc. It could be more, IDK. If you empty the whole thing at once, you'll get the normal 400-600.

Pictures will come tomorrow morning when it is ready to use. I'll take some now for a building guide, but they won't be available yet.

Edited By Duxburian on 1163299391
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Rook

Post by Rook » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:38 am

I can't wait to see it done!

Perhaps in a future reincarnation, the Douchenator could use a pressure regulator, like ones found in the CAP system.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:02 am

Cool, I also add myself to those who want to see pics :laugh: lol. I'm planning on making a Douchenator, urbanfighter7 made one and now I want to :D .
Launchers have always interested me, I would use one for my science fair project but it has to have an element of life science in it...
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:26 am

What are the sizes of the PCs?
How much PSI are you using?
And what is the diameter of the "firing" valve?

I'd tinkered around with this kind of idea, but had decided that the drop-off would be too great, I hope now to be proven wrong.
I've got a design for an interchangeable air-cartridge system for WBLs, which would allow for even more shots and get rid of any drop-off, but would make for a more complicated design.
Since my next WBL is going to be a Bazooka type, I don't need a huge amount of range/power for it, so this design sounds perfect.

Edited By WaterWolf on 1163337040
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:12 am

Having interchangeable PCs would be fairly awkward, but it might be cool and at least somewhat effective. I would just create a large backpack system.

I presume this is of an under-over design.

Edited By SilentGuy on 1163348078

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:18 am

I hope to prove myself wrong as well. I'm having doubts about the power of the 4th shot, but we shall see. I haven't measured it yet, the firing valve is 1", and the PSI I'll use is 60-120. Higher PSI would yield more/better shots, but would take longer and detract from the battle practicality. Although pumping for a minute and unleashing 3-4 shots the next minute is still better than the 1-2 shots the G2 Douchenator gets in the same timespan.

The glue is dry, all I need to do now is drill and screw in the schrader valve. I can't find air couplers, so this is bike pump-only. I'd rather carry a bike pump into the reeds than a compressor, however. The pump is a lot thinner and smaller. I'm even thinking of painting it to look like a reed stalk!

I may consider a regulator for a future G4 Douchenator, but that would lower its practicality, as I'd like a larger pc for that. In case you're wondering:
G1 Douchenator = Battle Practical for the Fort Building-Progressive Levels
G2 Douchenator = Battle Practical for the Firepower-Progressive Levels
G3 Douchenator = Battle Practical for the Fluid-Professional Levels

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:39 am

You said that the three parts are interchangeable...is that partly due to the fact that metal ball valves usually have threads? Anyway, if you find that there's a ton of dropoff, I would just replace the middle section/firing PC with a smaller section of tubing.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:56 pm

To integrate this design with mine would be quite easy.

Starting form left to right:
Barrel,
Trigger Valve,
Small PC (Reducer, pipe, reducer, smooth to threaded adapter),
Air cartridge PC (Threaded ball-valve, threaded to smooth adapter, reducer, pipe, end-cap)

You thread on a charged Air-Cartridge, open its ball-valve to charge the centrel PC, close the valve, then fire.
Rinse and repeat :p.
Once you've used up the Air-Cartridge's power, just switch to another one.

This would allow you to pump up a bunch of charges before the battle (If you have good seals on them that is), then keep them in a back-pack or somthing easy to transport.
When you have a spare moment, you can recharge the empty ones.

-B.D.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:33 pm

Ah crap. There's a wide air leak. If today's/tonight's patching up doesn't work, I may have to saw the cap off and do it over. I was really looking forward to shooting it today! :( The rest of the gun has perfect seals, so of course there has to be a big failure in the most important area.

Both metal valves are threaded, so all three sections are interchangable. I have other centers, but changing the pc would require going out and buying another schrader valve. I haven't the time to do that until Friday. I was just at Home Hardware yesterday, too! I thought about stocking up on schraders, but didn't think it was necessary yet.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:52 pm

Bummer about the leak. :( It can be so hard to get a good seal sometimes.
One method I've used to help prevent leaks is to squirt an o-ring of silicon sealant in the place where the two pieces meet. Then the air inside the container is actual pressing the silicon into the gap when you pressurize it.

So your design already has a system that would allow for interchangeable air containers. (If I'm not mistaken)

Edited By WaterWolf on 1163364997

-B.D.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:15 pm

I just thought interchangeable PCs wouldn't be too great since you'd have to carry the others around. But if you use bases, then you can just leave extras there, although that defeats the purpose of having quick exchanging.

If you're going to switch PCs, you might as well forget about having two parts--just use one.

Hmm...it sucks that there's a leak.

Edited By SilentGuy on 1163366260

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:01 pm

I have a backpack that could easily carry two of them with room to spare.
It wouldn't be that hard to carry multiple PCs around the field, as long as you aren't using huge ones.

-B.D.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:40 pm

There's nothing quite like trying to switch a threaded part while in a combat situation. Changing a barrel or pc in battle requires a steady hand and no outside pressure, for if you rush it it goes in crooked. Even when covered by teammates, you've still got adrenaline flowing. It's not a bad idea, but it needs the kind of concentration you'd only get at a base or in an area clear of any sign of enemies. I know I couldn't shut the enemy out of my head while trying to change pcs.

The air leak is huge. It's the longest one I've ever had, and it sucks. You know you've got a serious one when you go to pump and absolutely nothing happens.

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:05 am

Woo!!! Go artillery!!! Always wanted a arty (artillery) capable instrument for water warfare (meaning multi-shot, etc.).
Can't wait 'till the pics though! :crazy:

Edited By Lt.Winters on 1163405211
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:56 am

My mistake.

Edited By WaterWolf on 1163544202

-B.D.

Rook

Post by Rook » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:40 pm

I did something very similar with a Nerf gun. It's a Lanard Blast Bazooka. It got about 20-30 ft. of range, and a ten foot spread, but it was only kike an ounce of water...
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:48 pm

"Kike an ounce of water"?
Whats Kike?

-B.D.