100x output

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Mike 15

Post by Mike 15 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:44 pm

I was just wondering, Has anyone been hit by a 100x+ blast from a homemade and if they are any shot images from it?

MJ :cps2000:

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:01 pm

Riot blasts from homemades can perhaps hit 60-80X in output with a 3/4" barrel for a fraction of a second, but it just about ends there. The only way to get more than that is to use a water cannon, which uses WBL technology and can generate more pressure because you're using a foot pump or an air compressor. Also, they have much larger barrels.

I doubt anybody has riot blasted somebody at point-blank range, and I'd imagine it would cause bruising, and it could knock you back hard. You can check out a video of Ben firing SuperCannon II, which uses a plunger to separate the air and the water and which got something like over 300-600X of output. I wouldn't be able to take that much recoil.

Also, his SuperCAP apparently also has a lot of recoil when doing a riot blast...you'll have to ask Ben or the Drenchenator for more information.

Edited By SilentGuy on 1157332060

Drenchenator
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:37 pm

Actually, while Ben and I were testing SuperCAP, I was accidently hit on my right thigh from the blast while trying to take a photograph (the photo was completely off target though because I was knocked back). This was an unregulated and very powerful shot, and the recoil spun Ben around (which in turn shot water at me). That shot was rated at about 120X (ounces per second). The best way to describe is like a very hard slap. I was only standing about 15 feet away. Don't get me wrong, a riot blast can do a lot of damage, escpecially at point blank (left that 5 feet or so). About 130X in output is about the rate at which a fire hose shoots, and those can definitely cause harm if used incorrectly.

Oddly enough, SuperCAP has much more recoil that SuperCannon II even though SuperCAP has much less output (120X versus at least 500X). This is because the shot from SuperCAP has a duration over 2 seconds even during a riot blast. SuperCannon II's shot time was only a fraction of a second at best (and had to be measured using a video camera).

Note: SuperCannon II with the big red nozzle had an output of 125X.

Edited By Lt. Col. Drench on 1157334100
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

DX

Post by DX » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:30 pm

I have shot my friend's dad with my hybrid "Douchenator water cannon". We brought it in the boat to South Monomoy Island to shoot seagulls. I actually just missed one by a mere few feet from 400ft away. Anyway, I told my friend's family that it can also shoot water, and really well at that. Well, my friend's dad did not believe that the design was capable of shooting solid water. So he let me shoot it at his chest. The first shot was terribly weak and misty, since the air/water mix was not good. So while he laughed it off, I fixed the air/water ratio and took a second shot. That shot was pure gold and hit its mark as a solid wave of water. I bet it stung a lot, and his facial expression changed from one of laughter to one of surprise.

However, that was at about 30ft range. I would never shoot any water cannon at point-blank, as the stream rockets out and hits its target hard in literally the time it takes to blink. And this from a lowly 110x and from an air pressure variety at that. I bet a piston's bigger blast would be much more impressive.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:15 pm

Getting a normal digital camera to get an image of the shot with really high output is hard if not impossible. It'd be easier with a film camera because they take the photo immediately once you press the button, but you'd have to use a really fast film speed and a good film that won't get too much grain when used that fast. Though, a regular color 400 film would probably do the trick anyway.

I really wish I had some high-speed slow motion type photography set up though. I would absolutely love to get those types of images from my water guns. The problem is, I don't have a real movie camera to begin with, so I'm stuck will small and slow images.

If you want to see what 800X output looks like, here's your image:

Note that the shot lasts for 2/15ths of a second. You can view the video too. You can see how quickly and powerfully the water gun jumps from the recoil. That's more than any shotgun.

No one wants to be hit by that.

The regular nozzle I could nearly understand however, though, the regular nozzle is actually about 125X. That's because it's a half-inch hole meant for fire fighting where a lot of water output is wanted. I actually tried to blow some holes in things like wood with the nozzle, but I was having a lot of trouble keeping the objects still.

If someone wants to go ahead and make a water cannon type water gun to shoot at someone, I can't stop them, but I'll tell you right now that it won't be pleasant. Really. People have been internally bruised from fire hoses and I can easily imagine that someone with the power of a fire hose won't have any trouble doing that.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:27 pm

You just need some common sense, really. How many times have I said that for anything? ;)

The picture isn't really coming up at the moment, but everybody here has probably seen it--it's the same one Ben is using for his avatar.

EDIT: Never mind, it's up now. It might have just been my computer, but I dunno.

Edited By SilentGuy on 1157408914