The Water Nuke v2

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Rook

Post by Rook » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:24 pm

Well, I managed to drop a pair of tweezers in the trash can today, so I grabbed one of those latex gloves that doctors use (we picked them up in the medical section at Walmart) and fished it out.

Well, I took a look at the glove and said "I wonder how good of a water balloon this will make". When I filled it up, it was scary. Just one of the fingers easily filled up to about half the size of a fully inflated party balloon. When I filled it up (just the palm) it probably held at least a gallon of water. I think it could actually get bigger, too, but I was indoors, and didn't want to chance it.

Unfortunately, I have not devised a means of throwing it, however. It's too heavy, and too soft (it absorbs some of the throw). Any ideas would be helpful.

Enjoy your new toy. :wb1:

Side Note: 100th post!
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:24 am

Catapult? :p

But seriously, thats the only means I can think up for throwing one of those things any distance. An Air Pressure WBL wouldn't work because of the weird shape of the glove.
You could possibly use them as mines or traps perhaps.

By the way, this is still the only thing that I truly consider a "Water Nuke".
http://www.orderpaintball.com/detail.aspx?ID=1477

A bit pricey, but if you have someone on your team who is a specialized Demolitions Expert, then perhaps having one could be very useful. The refill CO2 cartridges are only .¢50 each, so its not too much to buy one mine and a box of refills. I haven't actually used one, but if those stats are correct, then this thing hit a HUGE area. "400 to 600 sq/ft" as it said on the web site, though I have a little of a hard time believing this, just half of that area of effect could be considered a "Water Nuke".

Edited By WaterWolf on 1156162902
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

Rook

Post by Rook » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:43 am

Yeah, but those are paintballs :p . But this thing is more like dumping a gallon of water on someone's head.

I'll try to get some pics.
The glove, filled up.
The glove next to a gallon jug, for comparison.
One finger filled up.
Finger blast radius.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a blast radius for the big balloon because it broke as soon as I picked it up. :D It is also very difficult to fill the entire glove plus fingers.

But there is good news, if you can successfully use it, you can salvage the fingers for normal water balloons.

EDIT: Added pics and text.

Edited By Rook on 1156177309
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:19 am

Actually, those things can be loaded with water OR paint.

It says so right here:
http://www.a-1paintballstore.com/Master-....le.html

What your making is more like a big grenade to be thrown at people. This thing, you set it down, get far far away, then trigger it whenever you want. It releases a massive blast of water on a huge are. Now that is a water nuke.

-B.D.

Rook

Post by Rook » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:25 am

But 6 0z? That isn't enough to do anything across 600 square ft. I'd rather have my 3 cent superbomb. :p

I would also like to point out that that finger could actually get bigger, but I had to drain it a little to tie it. When it was part of the glove, it got massive.

Edited By Rook on 1156177687

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:06 pm

Ya, I was surprised about the small amount of water. But if you look at it, adding a gallon or two of water to that amount, wouldn't be too hard. It would probably decrease the area of effect, but even 50 square feet would be a very powerful explosive weapon.

I still wouldn't qualify the glove bomb as a "nuke", but more as an oversized hand-grenade.

-B.D.

Rook

Post by Rook » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:16 pm

I've managed to throw a less than filled to capacity glove. The watermarks had about a ten foot diameter. I doubt I could have gotten a pic with my camera, since the watermarks were hard to see on the black pavement.

I can only throw it about ten to fifteen feet. I need a tribuchet!! :angry:

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:29 pm

Ya, a tribuchet or similar would probably do the trick. Might even be able to launch several at once if its big enough.

"BEWARE my flying white surgeon gloves of watery DOOM" :D

-B.D.

Rook

Post by Rook » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:34 pm

That's really the only thing I can come up with. It's very fragile, so conventional slings wouldn't work (A sling is similar to a slingshot, except you spin and release). It'd work if it had some kind of basket and release mechanism...

Anybody know how big those 3 person Water Balloon Slingshots are?

urbanfighter7

Post by urbanfighter7 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:09 am

Ive shot a three person WB sling shot.Do you mean the hole or the place were you put the WB.If you mean the place were you put the WB then theres no way you can fit a latex glove in it.If you mean the hole thing they can very but the one i shot was about 6 feet long when it wasn't pulled back and when it was pulled back it was about double the size.So about 12 feet.Good luck. :)
My Armory:
CPS 1000
CPS 1500
CPS 2500
Douchenator
APH!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:29 am

You can use party balloons to get the same effect in a stronger, cheaper package.

I personally never understood why someone would really want a "water nuke" though. This is a really common idea. It never has been done correctly and I hightly doubt it will ever be done correctly.

The fact is, it's going to hurt a lot to be hit by one of these. I don't know how many of you have actually used water balloon launchers or catapults, but they do hurt when you are hit. The balloons do not break immediately upon the touch, so a lot of force is imparted still. That's one strike.

As for trebuchets and their assumed "superiority," having participated in a larger water balloon launching even a few years ago during a Boy Scout camping trip, I can honestly say that they have nothing on a catapult and brute force. Trebuchets are superior when built correctly. Remember that, when built correctly! It is hard to calibrate them correctly if you have no experience. Catapults on the other hand are easier to build and with a lot of power behind them, you'll get great distance. We were the first troop to hit another troop and we had the more straightforward and simple design. We also had like 8 people pulling at a time. That's brute force for you. We launched like 20 regular sized water balloons at a single time too, so one of these wouldn't be a problem. We probably could get away with many more big balloons if we used a bigger bucket.

Of course, that was a custom built catapult and we did use a plastic bucket as the ammunition holder if I remember correctly. That's the only way you'll be able to launch that kind of stuff.

The real problem with using catapults and other seige engines is that they are hard to aim and have a big appetite for balloons if you go for a shotgun effect (and believe me, with no accuracy you will). Our troop must have used thousands of balloons alone that day. I remember we later switched over to plastic gloves from the first aid tent after we ran out of regular balloons. That's two more strikes right there.

I wish I had some pictures of our catapult though. I've seen pictures from the event and I think I'll ask around about them. At the time it passed right over my head, but there is something really fun about launching water balloons at others hundreds of feet away with 15 - 20 catapults in participation.