A crazy idea....

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:53 pm

This idea hopefully won't be too crazy.

Basicly, would it be possible to make the use of cartridges for water balloon launchers.
So the cartridge would be half of a Douchenator: the valve, the air tank and a short portion of PVC in which the balloon will be held. The cartridge will be inserted into the breach of the gun and secured. A slot in the breach will allow the ball valve to be exposed for firing.
Once the cartridge is spent, unlock the breach, remove the cartridge for re-use (meaning it will have the schrader valve).

The gun itself consists of the breach, the locking mechanism and the barrel.

The building of such a launcher will be expensive, considering the amount of cartridges one would like to build for suitible volleys of fire. Due to the amount of equitment, it's not the best choice to use on-foot. Most likey a stand or tri-pod would be constructed and it would be used as a artillery piece. But the need for spotters, large and clear battlefield. And with such a low calibre, the use of such a device would be a drag.

But im just throwing the idea, prephaps a modifed design will come about.
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:53 am

This Idea would probably work, but If you can think of a way to have just the air tank, with some kind of needle valve that you attach to the other part of the gun, then that could get interesting. I've toyed with the idea several times in the past too.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:14 am

People have thought of this before, but I've never seen it actually built. Having tried the shell/cartridge method in Nerf before too, I can say that this will be a lot of work, especially for a water balloon sized cartridge. Even if you just cut a piece of PVC to a set length, that still would be a lot of cutting work. At that point, it really would be better just to have a breech, something we're still yet to see in any water balloon launcher. There's been essentially no innovation in water balloon launchers in years.

Think finished products, not concepts. Concepts are great, but they're worthless unless they are made.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:20 am

In my mind, this suggestion actually is crazy--but only because you're suggesting ball valves and other unnecessary parts on each cartridge. I might be wrong, but surely there's a way to do it without such excess and expense.

Breech concepts have been done--just check out the Aqualabs 3.2 WBL. The site and its WBLs are great, but my only concern is that the 3.2's PC is way too small. Make it bigger and you've got yourself a pretty potent gun that can shoot way farther than that one could shoot.

Think finished products, not concepts. Concepts are great, but they're worthless unless they are made.

No offense, but that sounds fairly hypocritical...and concepts aren't that bad, IMO.