Water Cannons [formerly Launchers] - A New Class of Weaponry!

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
DX

Post by DX » Thu May 04, 2006 5:14 pm

Instead of making an ITWL-only thread, I decided to make a general water launchers thread. I would rather promote all forms of water launchers rather than just one. It would be really cool to see a whole new class of weaponry debut on the field of battle and create whole new tactics for them.

First of all, you might be asking, what the heck is a water launcher? Well, it is neither a normal water gun nor a water balloon launcher. A water launcher uses power like a water balloon launcher, but shoots a solid stream like a normal soaker. The main purpose of water launchers is deadly strikes in just the right situations. In general, you get one good shot and then must either retreat or have covering fire to re-pressurize. Output can be made to be easily over 60x. You are basically shooting a firehose for a few seconds.

What options are there? Well, you can use pre-charging tech in a PCgH, simple air pressure in an ITWL, or a piston in a Super Cannon. Those are the three main designs which have come out so far. Improvements include the MS ITWL and Super Cannon II. All of these look/work different, but all do accomplish the same task.

What is the advantage to using a water launcher? These radically redefine the concept of the sidearm. No longer do you need to have a small gun for backup-style purposes. Now you can have a specially designed weapon for special uses. In stand-offs or ambushes, nothing will intimidate an enemy more than unleashing a giant stream of water that flies beyond the normal fighting range. Despite the ITWLs not being finished, I know the range will be huge. A pc of a water balloon launcher used as a water launcher can obtain 40ft range at a negative 10 degree angle. So think about a properly designed water launcher at 45 degrees!

The concept of water launchers is certainly not new. However, enough designs exist now to call it a new class of weapons, just as soakers and water balloon launchers are their own classes. Water launchers add a new dimension to the battlefield. New tactics and strategies can be created via their use. I personally will be really excited when I have time to finish ITWL and MS ITWL. The debut of a new class of weaponry on the hardcore level never fails to make a battle interesting. The debut of the Douchenator changed the way we will fight night battles from now onward. Heck, the debut of the 21K changed the way we fight any battle. However, unlike water balloon launchers, water launchers have the potential to be deadly effective anytime because leveling a wide stream full of power is different from shooting small water balloons into the air and hoping they hit their targets.

Viva La Tech!
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 04, 2006 6:10 pm

Hmm.. while the tech seem intriguing, I don't particularly like the choice of name. To me, a water launcher would be something akin to a catapult or trebuchet-type device (or a rocket-propelled device, but somehow that sounds too dangerous). :goofy: If the things being built are producing streams, albeit large ones, I'd be classifying them as water cannons, not water launchers. Even the names given to some of the newer designs contain 'cannon'.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu May 04, 2006 7:24 pm

Either way, this is the closest any water-shooting weapon will have ever come to a launcher. You're literally propelling the water with air power that never touches the water--the technology is exactly that of a WBL, albeit with linear flow, possibly different trigger valves, etc. Anyway, the only word that Waterbridge will have for it is--well, I haven't thought of it yet, but "Fear" might be an option. Seriously, you won't have time to even see it before you're drenched by a wave of water.

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Thu May 04, 2006 7:41 pm

hey dux, do you have an experiance with either CO2 or O2 powered homemades? im sure the idea has been kicked around the forum before but seems like a good place to rekindle it. first off, pressurized gas is always dangerous, but yeild to a higher pressure output. this sure would be a 'water launcher' seeing as how it functions.
more reliable then a max-D trigger

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 04, 2006 7:48 pm

SilentGuy wrote:Either way, this is the closest any water-shooting weapon will have ever come to a launcher. You're literally propelling the water with air power that never touches the water--the technology is exactly that of a WBL, albeit with linear flow, possibly different trigger valves, etc. Anyway, the only word that Waterbridge will have for it is--well, I haven't thought of it yet, but "Fear" might be an option. Seriously, you won't have time to even see it before you're drenched by a wave of water.

Propelling water with air power that never touches the water is what the Water Warriors Aqua-Master Pre-Charger line does, too.

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics or wording, but the term 'launcher' invokes different imagery to me. WBL are considered 'launchers' as they launch a projectile namely the water balloon. However, if you're using the same tech, but pushing out a stream, the launching aspect feels lost to me. Now, if these devices created some giant water ball that was fired out as opposed to a stream, I'd agree with the term: launcher. Heck, the Water Ball series are all water launchers, too. :goofy: Talking about how big a stream a water launcher produces doesn't quite sound right to me.

Granted, I'm just being picky about the name. I do look forward to seeing how these things end up performing in practice.

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 05, 2006 6:24 pm

The misconception here is that the air does touch the water, but stays up and out of the way of linear flow. Using air to propel water with this concept without having them in the same chamber would be extremely dangerous and risk svere injury, ask Wetmonkey what happens when you do that.

More later, studying for SATs!
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Fri May 05, 2006 6:35 pm

So is the design basically putting water in a single chamered douchenator? I'm interested in making one now, though I doubt mine would get range.

Edited By mr. dude on 1146872162

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 06, 2006 12:07 pm

Kind of. If you just did that though, you would not be able to fire it angled. You need to use the inverted-T design, a piston, other, etc. in order to fire angled.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat May 06, 2006 12:26 pm

I really need to see a schematic layout of the 'inverted-T' design. Things I currently envision in my head run into problems as the chamber empties of water.

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 06, 2006 12:38 pm

They are not done, but I guess I'll have to take pictures anyway, since the concept is blatantly obvious when seen for real.

Name change too! iSoaker and Ben prefer "water cannons" so "water cannons" it is. :cool:

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat May 06, 2006 12:50 pm

To iSoaker and whoever else is confuzzled:

Please excuse the poor quality off center paint drawing aspect of the picture.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat May 06, 2006 1:08 pm

That's what I was envisioning and that design has a problem when angled or when water in the chamber drops. In this case, there really is no point in having an inverted T-shape. An inverted L should be just as good as well. The water on the back side of the T doesn't really do much.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat May 06, 2006 5:01 pm

It's probably like that because it was originally conceived for APH PC's, where the water would be pumped in from the other side.

Good point, though.

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 06, 2006 5:06 pm

Of course, the actual is not a perfectly even T shape. The side with the ball valve is much longer, with the opposite side being much shorter. Triple the front, double the top, and halve the back, and you've got it. The design makes the ITWC really comfortable to hold. You need the back in the single-shot version. Due to the dimensions, the air is not a problem. Remember that it will not use all of the water [the air/water ratio must never fall to 1:4 or lower] and that I never let water run out anyway in any gun.

I was considering using more of an L shape for the MS ITWC, but its a bit late. Sawing off the T would be a waste of $2. So the end will just be really short.

m15399 is right that this comes from an APH pc. That's why I had to adjust the dimensions, since a perfctly balenced T works in APH guns, but not here.

Edited By Duxburian on 1146953312

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat May 06, 2006 5:56 pm

Triple the front, double the top, and halve the back, and you've got it.

Doing that, looks a heck closer to an inverted 'L' than a 'T'. :goofy:

For future designs, as opposed to using a T-connector, would a simple turn/elbow piece of PVC work just as well? I figure using a turn could save you the need for the back-side end cap. :)

Not to downplay the design, but basically this is a larger version of a typical air-pressure PC that can withstand higher pressures due to its materials. It has improved performance in that the larger overall internal volume and pressure means that during firing, there isn't as much decrease in available pressure since you're not letting the water level (thus the volume occupied by the air) drop too far. The value of larger air-pressure PCs in stock soakers can be readily seen in how well the SS300/XP300 and Pool Pumper Blaster perform.

One thing I wonder is whether the upper part of the PC can be made at an angle more slanted forwards. Thus, when the nozzle is raised to 45 degrees, the PC would then be perpendicular to the ground. Doing so would allow for longer angled shots without fear of misting.

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 06, 2006 6:44 pm

I do see what you mean with slanting the top piece, although I have not ever seen a 3" 45 degree elbow. I see lots of that type of fitting, but 3"? That will take lots of searching, but if I find one, I will try it. However, that might make the gun less comfortable to hold. Ts and Ls can be placed in just the right place for gripping. On the ITWC, it is next to perfect.

The main reason for the back is for extra space for air [all of my water cannons can also be water balloon launchers and nerf guns] Therefore, they need lots of space in the air chamber/pc in order to have true hybrid capabilities. Imagine facing a water cannon, retreating, and attacking again, only to find that the user switched barrels [or pcs] and is now shelling you where you are standing now? Then you rush it, and find a giant stream of water bearing down on you again. :p

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:43 pm

I bought a new, high-powered drill today. So I got the schrader valve in, and now the glue attaching that wing of the gun is drying. I'm getting up early to test it. Only fires, tornados, and nuclear attack usually warrant jumping out of bed at 6 AM, but this is definately worth it! The APWL is the single most powerful thing I have created so far. With recoil strong enough to send a novice user flying backwards, and power enough to knock a small enemy off their feet, this is no squirt gun. It could completely soak an enemy in less than half a second and beyond the range of soakers...or at least that's the speculation. If there are no air leaks, I will be very excited and very wide awake, disturbing the neighborhood with evil laughter... :laugh:

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:15 pm

Duxburian wrote:I bought a new, high-powered drill today. So I got the schrader valve in, and now the glue attaching that wing of the gun is drying. I'm getting up early to test it. Only fires, tornados, and nuclear attack usually warrant jumping out of bed at 6 AM, but this is definately worth it! The APWL is the single most powerful thing I have created so far. With recoil strong enough to send a novice user flying backwards, and power enough to knock a small enemy off their feet, this is no squirt gun. It could completely soak an enemy in less than half a second and beyond the range of soakers...or at least that's the speculation. If there are no air leaks, I will be very excited and very wide awake, disturbing the neighborhood with evil laughter... :laugh:
Tell us about it! :D I so want one!

:angry:

(And sorry about the one-liner. I'm really excited about this.)
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:49 pm

Well I went to test it, and...the glue was not dry enough. Despite giving it 24 hours, is still blew out. That is probably because I used too much glue, and therefore must give it more time than usual to dry. Also, different brand than usual. So I will try again on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. :(

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:53 pm

Duxburian wrote:Well I went to test it, and...the glue was not dry enough. Despite giving it 24 hours, is still blew out. That is probably because I used too much glue, and therefore must give it more time than usual to dry. Also, different brand than usual. So I will try again on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. :(
*Releases breath that has been held for 24 hours*

I thought I was gonna die of waiting... anyway, too bad. I'm still waiting, though. :)
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."