Water Cannons [formerly Launchers] - A New Class of Weaponry!

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
bb1

Post by bb1 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:08 pm

I could imagine it now, someone hiding in the bushes, you come marching by with that cannon, he jumps out in front of you screaming, you take aim, his face just DROPS, you say quietly "Put down your weapon," and he just drops it and puts his hands in the air. Then you say, "leave." He turns and walks away slowly in a daze of what his fate could have been!!!!

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:57 pm

BTW, One HAS to use a bicycle tire pump to pressurize it right?

Well, a normal pump would work, but it would take forever. It takes 30 seconds to pressurize to a decent PSI level using a bike pump. It would probably take over 5 minutes via normal pump. The chamber is huge.

what kind of pipe is that 2" or 1 1/2" or am I worng on both?

It is 3" pipe. Just wait until I attempt a water cannon with 4" PVC! :laugh:

I could imagine it now, someone hiding in the bushes, you come marching by with that cannon, he jumps out in front of you screaming, you take aim, his face just DROPS, you say quietly "Put down your weapon," and he just drops it and puts his hands in the air. Then you say, "leave." He turns and walks away slowly in a daze of what his fate could have been!!!!

You know what makes that funnier? In Ridgewood, we don't take prisoners. I would actually not hesitate to unleash the stream in that situation, however, maybe a bit cautiously at such close range. You can't shoot someone in the head with one of these, and even in the chest at close range might hurt. I have no idea, I have not exactly had people waiting in line to be test victims. :laugh:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

kylemw9

Post by kylemw9 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:40 am

Duxburian wrote:

It is 3" pipe. Just wait until I attempt a water cannon with 4" PVC! :laugh:

You know what makes that funnier? In Ridgewood, we don't take prisoners. I would actually not hesitate to unleash the stream in that situation, however, maybe a bit cautiously at such close range. You can't shoot someone in the head with one of these, and even in the chest at close range might hurt. I have no idea, I have not exactly had people waiting in line to be test victims. :laugh:[/quote]
thats good cause I have like six feet of it. man I feel sorry for the people in ridgewood no prisiners they wouldn't even know if you had it preserized well I don't think i'd take him priserner I think i'd just point it at him and tell him he's out and if he disergreed well(smiles and does insane laugh)he'd be out shortly after.

Edited By kylemw9 on 1151667873

kylemw9

Post by kylemw9 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:42 am

how would you fill this thing anyway?????

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:51 am

Before pumping air in, you'd open up the ball valve and pour the water through that until the water get to a certain point. Then, close the valve and pump to pressure.

kylemw9

Post by kylemw9 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:25 am

mr. dude wrote:Before pumping air in, you'd open up the ball valve and pour the water through that until the water get to a certain point. Then, close the valve and pump to pressure.
wierd

bb1

Post by bb1 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:59 pm

The street I live on is called Ridgewood :O

DON'T HURT ME

Still, you would say- "Be my slave unless you want me to take your eye out. You now serve me and will soak the enemy team whether you want to or not. Any questions?"

At that he'd shake his head no with his jaw down. Congrats! You just enslaved a water warrior :laugh:

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:48 pm

Lol, although here, the only interaction we make is the kill. In said situation, the gun is fired, the enemy soaked, and the point awarded. I would much rather gain a point than a prisoner. Prisoners would be logistics burdens and could break free at any time. Plus, via 1HK Lives, one life does not matter much, unless you are way behind in the score.

Filling through the ball valve is actually faster than filling certain stock guns, such as 2500s, 2000s, 3200s, etc. The big opening of a big valve makes it go faster than one would think at first. Plus, you don't actually fill the whole thing.

I tested the MS APWL just now with a nerf barrel and stock darts. On one pressurization you get 11 high powered shots, 4 with progressively lowering power, and then a final 1 high powered shot when you let the rest of the chamber go. I was surprised with how many good shots the thing yielded. And this was at only 50 PSI with two air leaks. I could get even more good shots with higher pressure held in without leaks...
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

kylemw9

Post by kylemw9 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:10 pm

what kind of pvc is the barrel(<spelled incorrect oh well I tried) it doesn't look like 3" but mabey it is?

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:38 pm

I did not bother to make a barrel for water. You don't need one really. The riot blast is the main reason for having a water cannon. However, if you want to add a barrel, reduce it from whatever size the ball valve is. Using homemade nozzle, you could design a large shot that lasts instead of wasting over 100x in one go. This gun is also very nice for shooting nerf darts [the multi-shot version that is]. The regular single shot wastes all the pressure. You can also unscrew the nerf or water barrel and put a 3" water balloon barrel on. That makes the cannon a water balloon launcher, which could actually get better power than a normal in-line launcher, due to the extra air space in the pc. A great thing about an air pressure water cannon is the three functions it can serve.

kylemw9

Post by kylemw9 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:41 pm

well I gess you don't call it a barrel I ment the pipe that was conneting the ball valve to the adaptor and whatever's sticking out of the front of the ball valve in the picture.

Edited By kylemw9 on 1151708118

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:24 pm

The thing sticking out of the front of the ball valve is just a 1" male adaptor. That can be unscrewed to allow any size barrel [with the appropriate reducers] to be screwed on and off. The barrel of this gun depends on what you want to use it for.

Stencil

Post by Stencil » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:55 pm

Any firing pics yet?

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:22 pm

Not yet. The old gun has air leaks and only shoots 50ft. It wouldn't be worth a picture. The new one which I have just finished assembling is an improved design, which will be more efficient and won't have leaks.

It will be hard to measure the exact output. Mainly because you're staring in awe at the sheer size and power of the stream and forget to close the ball valve once the shot is running low!

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:08 pm

Okay, I was just wonder if this design would work. A slanted "L", or " __/ ". Well?

Edited By Lt.Winters on 1152032929
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:51 pm

Yes, but not that well. The best would be a total U, but the best compromise in size, weight, and top-heavy-ness is a wye.

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:56 pm

Is there a "ranking" or performance rating in terms of water cannon designs?
Like the best is a "U", second best...etc. etc.
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:05 pm

Sideways U is better than Wye, Wye is better than Inverted T, Inverted T is better than Wide V. At least in terms of efficiency.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:42 pm

The best design however would be a piston. It'd have the most linear flow, use all of the water, and be smaller. The only downside is constructing the piston, but it's been done before with big O-rings (MrPukeOnYourHead's water guns from 2001!). In my take on this, I'll try to use big rubber seals, but I'm not sure how well that'd work.

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:10 pm

A piston? Something like a Douchenator? If so it wouldn't really allow you fire at a large number of angles besides 0 to 20 degrees (I think).