Water Cannons [formerly Launchers] - A New Class of Weaponry!

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
DX

Post by DX » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:34 pm

I'm not sure if the glue will actually dry. Despite the gun being in a dry place, it has poured all day and is expected to continue for the next 3. The humidity all around won't help the process. And my parents hate it when I bring drying guns into the house...

We shall see tomorrow afternoon, which will be the next time I test it. However, if the glue fails tomorrow, there would be no way it could be ready for Saturday or Sunday's war, except by some miracle.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

m15399

Post by m15399 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:38 pm

Why not wait till Friday afternoon, just to be safe? That would still give u some time to test it, but it would give the glue and extra day to dry.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:01 am

m15399 wrote:Why not wait till Friday afternoon, just to be safe? That would still give u some time to test it, but it would give the glue and extra day to dry.
Exactly. Or maybe he just can't resist trying it... I know if I had just build potentially the most powerful water weapon, I would have a hard time waiting. :D

But m15399's advice is good, Duxburian. You should wait until late Friday.
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:03 pm

Ok, it's the glue, not the amount of time. The glue is just horrible. I am going to go buy the type I usually use. However, that means no APWL at tomorrow's war. :(

Oh the power! With 30 PSI rapidly draining out of three massive air leaks, it still managed to send a big burst of water to the 45 ft mark. I held it level and shot, just so I can see if it is worth a huge gluing repair. YES IT IS WORTH IT! :laugh: When you've got a gun that shoots better nearly completely broken than most soakers do fully functional, you know you've got something huge...

Edited By Duxburian on 1149908743
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Stencil

Post by Stencil » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:09 am

So is this gun your making, sounds awesome :laugh: , like a rocket lancher, but with water instead?

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:42 am

Kinda. I just realized there's no actual picture in this topic! Until now:

It is basically a water balloon launcher which shoots a solid stream. Like a giant pressurized reservoir gun, except that you use a bike pump and not a regular pump, meaning you get water balloon launcher style pressures.

Stencil

Post by Stencil » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:44 pm

Kwl, you got a pic of it firing yet?

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:58 pm

Sadly, I need to get the type of glue I normally get and cover up all the leaks. The type of glue I used for this was terrible and like refused to dry. I did manage to shoot it while the pressure and water was leaking all over. At about ~20 [rapidly draining] PSI, it managed to send water 45 ft level. So I figure that it is definately worth fixing.

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:19 pm

well anything that has a base distance of 45 level is worth doing. i'm sure that would hurt up close, but my question is how good would the shot time be and what is the average PSI your looking for?
more reliable then a max-D trigger

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Remember that is 45 ft broken. The level base range with no leaks should be much higher. I'm looking at a second or two of shot time and PSI from 50-100.

kylemw9

Post by kylemw9 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:19 pm

Talk about A base defence weapon!!! how much does it cost to build one of these things? EDIT and do you have instructions just asking cause it would definitly be fun to build none the less use.

Edited By kylemw9 on 1150431695

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:12 pm

Well, I painted the APWL camo black, green, and brown. Now it will blend in perfectly with the reeds. Sadly, I found a small air leak leftover, despite the good kind of glue. While drying, I guess some of the glue ran down due to gravity. I patched that up and the glue should be dry by later tonight. To be safe, I'll give it overnight and test it tomorrow morning. I managed to get 30 PSI in there and fired a dry air shot. This thing fired louder at 30 PSI than my battery gun at 90 PSI!

Now I'm afraid and will shoot it stepping up the pressure slowly. I can't afford to be knocked down from recoil due to my knee, so I will take it easy at 30 PSI, then 50, then 70, and won't go higher for now. I don't think I will be able to handle more than 70 without more strength in my right leg. My new powerful drill kind of melted the endcap, so right now there is no nozzle. I probably won't use a nozzle anyway, since you could aim for one person and hit 5 with the "riot blast." Unlike other guns' riot blasts, I expect this one to stay together as a massive stream, like in the test gun.

EDIT: It costs roughly $30, give or take $5-10 depending on where you buy your materials and how much you have left over from other homemades. This APWL cost me $22.

I will write an article on how to build one, however, first this one needs to be tested without air leaks. I need to calculate/measure the range and output. I can't just post the speculated range of 100+ ft and 80x+ output. Sounds great, but is not proven. Be aware that this is a potentially dangerous gun if not used correctly. If not held right, the recoil can be 90 degrees vertical. If shot at very high pressure at point blank range, you could probably blow someone's glasses off, knock a gun out of someone's hand, or cause them to lose their footing. This is a gun for shooting mid-long range ONLY. Unless you set the pressure under 60 PSI and warn your victim about the mass doom that you're about to unlease on and around them.

Edited By Duxburian on 1151014947

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:15 pm

You will get far more than 80X output from this, even at 60 PSI or below. I did my 120X shot on SuperCAP at only 60 PSI. The internal diameter of the pressure chamber is the same on both water guns, so given that the surface area on the water is the same, the power will be similar.

100 foot distance however would be a real stretch. I think that you will be lucky to get over 75 feet. I do not doubt that you'll get 70 feet on this design.

:)

Edited By Doom on 1151021786

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:13 pm

I'll admit 100 is more of what I see when I'm holding the gun and daydreaming...however I do see the stream hitting the fence, which is a good 85 or so feet back. I'm not sure how I should measure the output, as I can't exactly shoot it into a cup...and it is actually hard to use the entire chamber unless the pressure is really high. Even then, there's still some water left over.

EDIT: Wait, I'm stupid! Measure the chamber full and then subtract what's left after shooting. Doy... :goofy:

Edited By Duxburian on 1151028874

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:24 pm

I tested the APWL again today. While there's still a large leak, it holds high pressure. The problem is efficiency. The optimal ratio of water to air is smaller than I thought, and you have to nail it for the best shot. When the ratio is exactly optimal, you get an amazing shot. If not, the shot is too short or too misty, etc.

I still can't get an accurate range test because when I get the optimal ratio, I can't handle the 45 degree vertical recoil well enough to keep the gun remotely straight. It can shoot [with the air leak still] ~52ft level. That's a pretty nice range for a 0 degree angle and leaking pressure! This hits 50+ft level, whereas many soakers can't hit 50ft angled. :p When I angle it, that's when the massive recoil kicks in. I really brace myself every time I reach for the ball valve.

I have to make a another APWL, this time one which is more efficient and uses more of the water in more shots per pc. At least I don't have to worry about accuracy. You don't need accuracy when shooting this beast, just aim somewhere near the enemy[ies] and let loose hell. :laugh:

Edited By Duxburian on 1151119503

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:29 pm

Duxburian wrote:I tested the APWL again today. While there's still a large leak, it holds high pressure. The problem is efficiency. The optimal ratio of water to air is smaller than I thought, and you have to nail it for the best shot. When the ratio is exactly optimal, you get an amazing shot. If not, the shot is too short or too misty, etc.

I still can't get an accurate range test because when I get the optimal ratio, I can't handle the 45 degree vertical recoil well enough to keep the gun remotely straight. It can shoot [with the air leak still] ~52ft level. That's a pretty nice range for a 0 degree angle and leaking pressure! This hits 50+ft level, whereas many soakers can't hit 50ft angled. :p When I angle it, that's when the massive recoil kicks in. I really brace myself every time I reach for the ball valve.

I have to make a another APWL, this time one which is more efficient and uses more of the water in more shots per pc. At least I don't have to worry about accuracy. You don't need accuracy when shooting this beast, just aim somewhere near the enemy[ies] and let loose hell. :laugh:
So do you plan to continue with your former water cannon, or make a new one? I'm disappointed that we never have gotten to know what the true range of this beast could be.
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:10 pm

A water connon for a special purpose? Kinda reminds me of "Hobo's funnies" back during WWII. When they had to get Gen. Monty's brother-in-law to develope radical tank modifications, each with a different purpose (bunker busting, mine-sweeping, etc.).

Ok enough with the history lesson. It could be used as a type of "grenade launcher" to deliver huge amounts of water at once. I wonder if a mini version would work????
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:34 pm

This water cannon is meant to be used for ambushes and offensive defense situations. It is especially suited for offensive defense, since it wipes out whatever is in front of me and you can't tell whether it is loaded or not. If I started charging with it, who's going to stand there and call the bluff? Most people would run, whether it be tactically or plain fear. The only weapons which can effectively counter a water cannon are a launcher, another water cannon, or one heck of a homemade. Even veteran fighters may feel some intimidation. How eager would you be to comb a thick grove of reeds if you knew the enemy was hiding in there and armed with a powerful water cannon? And due to the paint job, you won't see the cannon before it sees YOU... :laugh:

I am going to probably end up making a totally new cannon. Either that, or butcher the current one for parts, such as the schrader valve area and ball valve area. I do have other valves, but it is a pain to screw in a schrader valve. Despite the availability of better pressurization, screwing in the valve is much cheaper and when done well, has zero leakage.

I have been considering a mini version for the 41WC, the water launcher hidden inside a 4100 casing idea.

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:31 pm

Whoa.......if I could build a mini one............it'll be one heck of a (slightly large?) pocket blaster!!
*Imagines situation*
.......hehe :laugh:
You better get cracking! I must know the design despite how simple it looks.

BTW, One HAS to use a bicycle tire pump to pressurize it right?

Edited By Lt.Winters on 1151538765
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

kylemw9

Post by kylemw9 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:18 pm

what kind of pipe is that 2" or 1 1/2" or am I worng on both?