Shotgun home made - is it possable?

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:12 pm

I saw the topic, one second shot time is okay I guess for a homemade made to be a shotgun.

Does photobucket work with pics?

Edited By Lt.Winters on 1125422110
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:16 pm

"Leftovers"-a CPS homemade [CPH] made by Ben/Doom

An unnamed one, also by Ben/Doom, with a good view of the pc

Same gun, shooting

Dug these out of the old SM gallery. :cool:

Edited By Duxburian on 1125422415
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:20 pm

Duxburian wrote:
Homemades are actually safer than modded guns

That's why i dont mod. I don't want to get sued for accidentally shooting my friend in the eye with a overpumped 11k.

EDIT: nice job on the apr 1000 i will make turret mounted apr 4000 or 5000 once i see how you make it.

Edited By LIGHT ANNIHILATOR on 1125429838
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:25 pm

I don't think your friend would sue you for something like that. Either way, it isn't that hard to ensure safety with a modded gun, just don't take a point-blank shot unless you have it aimed well. At long range, a modded stream is far less potent. And you can't overpump a modded gun, the pump will stop at a certain point, or take out the trigger valve, depending on how heavily modded it is.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:08 pm

Any more tips on the shotgun? Well I guess until I get pics of my concepts, there's not much to say. Until then!
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:27 pm

Magnor wrote:Much better than my idea :) I guess I just have to design a good CPS model that looks good and works well. Lets see...4 CPS Chambers...or 6? As soon as I can get down to Lowes and Walmart, I'll have the design and product finished in my head. A little paint, and it should look great. Bike Inner tubes for a mod, then even more for a homemade...wow this is getting costly...I guess its time to get an after school job (I wish I could find one...maybe fixing broken soakers or something for like five dollars, now that'd be awesome...hehehe.)

Here's a tip to go with what Duxburian said: use one and only one CPS chamber unless it is a backpack! My experience with multiple rubber chambers can be summed up quickly: multiple chambers are hard to get to work simultaneously. You'd have to buy brand new tubing and let them degrade at the same rate to get it to work right - like in the Super Soaker PowerPak. IF one inflates and the others don't, that one will slowly be easier to inflate and therefore will be the only one that does!

I do have more information about rubber CPS in the Super Soaker technology articles, and I used to have even more in the TechLog (which now is dead due to a configuration error). The TechLog will return as a weekly/monthly column after I make an update to fix the gallery.

The latex rubber tubing also is not expensive... it'd be a lot more expensive to make a similar chamber from bike tubes for the same length. Super Soakers use latex rubber tubing or something extremely similar to latex rubber tubing as well - it's the right stuff for the job.

Here's the truth on how "dangerous" Super Soaker modifications, homemade water guns and all water guns are: they are as dangerous as the person using it. If you aren't mature enough to use one, that's your decision. I think there's a far greater chance of injury during modification or construction of a homemade water gun than anywhere else.

You should use eye protection regardless of how powerful the gun is IMO. Here's something that's like what I am ordering: http://www.nationalfirefighter.com/imag ... shield.jpg

As you can see, I've taken Tony B.'s headgear style to heart. :goofy:

Edited By Doom on 1125437265

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:52 pm

this went off-topic :(

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:21 pm

And that was spam :)

On Topic: You may want to have more than just a "shotgun" type nozzle, considering someone could dodge that and then blast you away...:p
By the way, check out the Rules for my newly invented SoakFest-esque game in the Draft Soaker Rules thread. Input on all the games there is desired. So head on over and ctritique the rules as much as possible!

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:17 pm

Yeah, but 4 pumps is easy to pump again. maybe less with my design.

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:11 pm

Hmm, true. But then again, think if someone can out run you, or if they have a CPS 2000 or something of the sort. Would you like to get up close and personal? Not me :) And the shotgunning type blast will get boring after a while, so you may want to think about adding more nozzles anyway.
By the way, check out the Rules for my newly invented SoakFest-esque game in the Draft Soaker Rules thread. Input on all the games there is desired. So head on over and ctritique the rules as much as possible!

DX

Post by DX » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:29 pm

On a homemade, the riot blast is the bare 3/4" adaptor with no nozzles on it! There is no actual "riot blast nozzle."

And 4 pumps is really nice, even if you can be outrun. Unlike modded guns, pumping a homemade is easy until the pc is full. Pumping the APR 1000 takes roughly 1-3 seconds! :p

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:41 pm

Why is that? It seems that homemades outperform most modded guns, but whats funny is that they don't look good (no offense), and I wouldn't want to use one, just because its ugly. On the other hand, if someone made one that looked good/cool without sacrificing performance or making it heavier that would be awesome. And are the PC's as big or bigger on homemades?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:58 pm

Well, performance has no correlation with how "good" something looks! I think they look great - they're usually very bare and lighter because of that.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:12 pm

I think they look better than most manufactured guns: 0% gimmicks! There's no trigger valve to break, no trigger to worry about cracking, and the pump can easily be repaired or replaced if it stops working for one reason or another. I've never really cared what my guns look like, as I value substance over style. My guns have sawed out pump caps, some have parts from other guns, pump reinforcements, etc. They've lost all Ebay value, but there's more to life than money, or at least there should be. :cool:

And the pc can be larger or smaller than stock guns. The builder has 100% control over pc size.

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:27 pm

I don't really mind using a gun, but a cool looking one (maybe just painted a neon purple and green splash) would definately add to the overall design, and make it easier to look at :) I'm hoping to work on a homemade of my own, but depending on R&D (I like to see things myself before sctually doing it full scale) and the cost of materials (I'm on a tight bidget), it mya not turn out very good, or exist at all :( We'll see...

Oh yeah, one more thing. I wasn't thinking of how it looked, as in unnecesary details, but I meant looks more to the effect of keeping it about the same weight, but giving it a nice, detailed look. It just makes me proud to display something that looks as well as it performs :laugh:

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:17 pm

Well, I just have a thing for shotguns. :;): I suppose you could paint it, it might look to much like a real weapon (darker colors). I got that photobucket thing working, I'm not sure if that's all I need.

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:21 pm

A neon purple and Neon green weapon? Where? I would buy it in an instant. Show me! But seriously, I don't think neon is a dark color...

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:25 pm

:/ I said IF you painted it with darker colors!! What else do I need to post pics?

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:31 pm

Oops, missed the IF. Yeah, painting it dark wouldn't be a good idea, but as long as the nozzles orange it doesn't matter (there IS a law stating that all gun replicas or toys etc have to have an orange nozzle thingy). I was reading the news a few years ago, and some kid (well, 18 years old or so) pulled out a TOY gun without the orange cap on it after the police pulled him over, and I'm pretty sure he was arrested for that.

I love modding, but I may (someday in the distant future) make a shoulder mounted water cannon...Huge backpack, a bunch of nozzles, 6 or 8 PC's...that would be good to assault a base with :) Imagine a shotgun soaker with 6 or 8 PC's...mm-mm-good.

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:06 pm

:o It's teh 1337 BAzooka blaster!

Anyways, I got so caught with this project that I forgot to RESEARCH!! And i call my 2 pages of designs concepts! Gee, I'm so dumb!!