Auto-mounted watersquirter! - Seeking car-mounted squirtgun

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
tallwater2

Post by tallwater2 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:13 pm

Hi, I'm tryiong to build a car-mounted squirt gun that shoots a thin stream backwards (anti-tailgating device, LOL). Doesn't need to be a hard stream, just enough not to dissipate while driving. In other words, if the guy behind me has to use his wipers, that's the effect I'm looking for, nothing nastier.

The device needs to be mostly inside the vehicle, with tubing that bends out a side window as the "firing nozzle" to avoid freaking out people- can't have this big soaker on my roof or something!

Furthermore, I need to be able to fire it while driving, so it has to be flexible enough that I don't have to try pumping it while driving, just push a button or extended trigger or something, so I don't have an accident.

Anyone ever built something like this? I'd be willing to pay PayPal or such to someone who could build a decent device.
Otherwise, are there any kind of soakers/squirtguns that might work for this, and what supplies would I need for the conversion?
Thanks for any help with this weird project.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:30 pm

You could probably connect tubing that was outside the car to some PC's a pump and maybe a tank reservoir inside the car, thus allowing you to fire through the tube without it looking too conspicuous.

tallwater2

Post by tallwater2 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:18 am

Yeah, that's sort of what I'm looking for, but without instructions, links to instructions, or a working model, I'm sunk. I'm all thumbs. ;>

BlueMage

Post by BlueMage » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:52 pm

are you gonna just go around shooting it at random people? i HATE it when people do that! anyways, you could even just shove some flexible hose into the nozzle of some CPS gun and stick it out the back of the car.
-The Wizard of Water

tallwater2

Post by tallwater2 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:30 am

Oh no, this isn't random, this is for those who like to get a little too close to my rear bumper.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:38 am

I really can't say I think that's a wise thing to do to a tailgater. You're only likely going to make them more upset and have them tail you more or become more aggressive.
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:04 pm

Not to mention the trouble you'd get into if a cop saw you.

BlueMage

Post by BlueMage » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:17 pm

one of four situations could happen:
1: the driver either doesn't mind or takes the hint and backs off
2: the driver gets really mad and flips you off
3: the driver gets really mad and rear-ends your car
4: a cop sees you and you get a ticket while the driver flips you off
-The Wizard of Water

tallwater2

Post by tallwater2 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:21 pm

While one is the desired outcome, I'm prepared for two and three. If four happens I was really stupid to do it at that time and deserve it.

BlueMage

Post by BlueMage » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:28 pm

lol! you should have a bumper sticker that says "don't tailgate me or i'll soak you!"

BTW what kind of car is it? because if you had a pickup or something you could hide the entire apparatus in the bed. a sedan or station wagon would be harder because you'd need somewhere to stick the nozzle out. i would say either a pickup or a car with a sunroof would be best.
-The Wizard of Water

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:58 pm

or have a bumper sticker that says "I brake suddenly for tailgaters", or "tail me if you want to F#%< me". ( this one works best if the tailgater is male and you flaunt the fact that you are male :p )

better yet, painstakingly train a flock of pidgeons to poo on the car behind you when released. just open the cage out the window, and voila! :D

tallwater2

Post by tallwater2 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:48 am

LOL!
Unfortunately its a station-wagon type. If it only had a rear window that lowered, that wopuld help, but it doesn't, so i need a flexible tube out a window.

If I just knew a good way to attach the plastic tubing to a squirtgun nozzle, that would help. Any suggestions for a water-tight seal?

BlueMage

Post by BlueMage » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:06 am

try epoxy or lots of hot glue. hot glue usually makes a pretty good seal.
-The Wizard of Water

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:19 pm

BlueMage wrote:try epoxy or lots of hot glue. hot glue usually makes a pretty good seal.
Uhh, no, actually hot glue rarely ever makes a good seal. Especially under pressure.

You probably could get a bunch of latex rubber tubes off of McMaster and make a larger QFD type gun, that way you won't have to pump it. House it in some 3" ID PVC and it should hold on with some duct tape. Then you can make the nozzle out of PVC and maybe even have multiple nozzle settings. I'll write some better instructions when I have the time, stay tuned.

tallwater2

Post by tallwater2 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:55 pm

That sounds great, Doom, if you can give instructions!

BlueMage

Post by BlueMage » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:50 pm

it works for me if i just slather a whole lot on there... epoxy usually works best though.
-The Wizard of Water

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:14 am

tallwater2 wrote:That sounds great, Doom, if you can give instructions!
Drat, I've completely forgotton about this topic. I am very sorry, I'll try to get some diagrams and stuff edited in this post by tonight.

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:30 pm

What would make this really interesting, is if the tailgater had a soaker. :oo:

Anyway...

In all of seriousness, that's not a good idea. Angry people tend to lose their sense of logic.

Edited By Space_Cowboy on 1091674205
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...