Homemade on www.sscentral.org

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
poonti

Post by poonti » Sun May 28, 2006 5:36 pm

if you go to homemades on sscentral you will see one kinda faq written by doom, i dont get at all how you are supposed to keep the air in the backpack.

here is the site

Air Pressure Homemade

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun May 28, 2006 5:39 pm

I believe that the backpack contains water, not air. As well, in this case, it's probably a better idea to join the SSCentral Forums and ask this question there, particularly since it's one of Ben/Doom's original designs. You're more likely to get more specific replies from the membership there who are really into their homemade building skills.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

poonti

Post by poonti » Sun May 28, 2006 5:42 pm

The annoying thing about the sscentral is that you need to photocopy a paper then email it to them and i deleted the file on my mail that had the paper. Do you have any faq on homemade super soakers?

Edited By poonti on 1148856790

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sun May 28, 2006 6:00 pm

The annoying thing about the sscentral is that you need to photocopy a paper then email it to them and i deleted the file on my mail that had the paper.

What are you talking about...?

The pressure is not stored in the backpack.
Check this page:
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ ... aster3.htm
The pressure is built up in those two top chambers on the APH. The water that's pumped in comes from the backpack.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 28, 2006 8:07 pm

If he's talking about the COPPA form, then emailing it to me wouldn't be legal. You have to mail it to me and I have to keep it on file. That is a federal law and is not my choice. iSoaker is supposed to follow US federal law because his server is located in the US, but he doesn't, so you can go here despite it being illegal.

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Sun May 28, 2006 9:06 pm

yeah, the back-pack is a water resevoir ;)
:flashflood: :soaked:

hehe...
You don't want supersoaker as your enemy!

poonti

Post by poonti » Tue May 30, 2006 7:13 am

i looked at the backpack mods and for the plstic bag mod on sscentral it says something about a piece of thread?

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue May 30, 2006 8:52 am

Doom wrote:If he's talking about the COPPA form, then emailing it to me wouldn't be legal. You have to mail it to me and I have to keep it on file. That is a federal law and is not my choice. iSoaker is supposed to follow US federal law because his server is located in the US, but he doesn't, so you can go here despite it being illegal.

Actually, the COPPA form is needed in the folllowing case:

The COPPA Rule applies to operators of commercial websites and online services directed to children under 13 that collect personal information from children, and operators of general audience sites with actual knowledge that they are collecting information from children under 13.

COPPA Rules

Are websites run by nonprofit entities subject to the Rule?

The Act and the Rule expressly state that they apply to commercial websites and not to nonprofits that would otherwise be exempt from coverage under Section 5 of the FTC Act. Thus, in general, most non-profits are not subject to the Rule.

What happens if a child visits my site and posts personal information in a chat room but doesn't reveal his age?

The Rule is not triggered. It applies to general audience websites if they have actual knowledge that a particular visitor is a child. If such a site knows that a particular visitor is a child, then the Rule must be followed with respect to that child. If a child posts personal information on a general audience site, but doesn't reveal his or her age and you have no other information that would lead you to know that the visitor is a child, then you would not have "actual knowledge" under the Rule and would not be subject to its requirements. Collecting a child's age, however, does provide "actual knowledge."

What happens if a child visits my chat room and announces his or her age?

If your site has a chat room and no one in your organization sees or is alerted to the post, then you do not have the requisite actual knowledge under the Rule. You may be considered to have actual knowledge with respect to that child: (1) if someone from your operations sees the post in a chat room; or (2) if someone alerts you to the post. At that point, you should delete any personal information that has been posted and either ask the child for a parent's email address for purposes of providing notice and obtaining consent to future postings, or take reasonable steps to block that child from returning to the chat area of the site, whether through screen name blocking, a cookie, or some other means.

If you have monitored chat rooms where the monitors can delete information from posts before they are made public, then your monitors can simply strip the child's posts of any personal information before they are publicly posted, thus permitting children to participate in the chat room without the need for obtaining parental consent. This practice is easily applied to "auditorium" style chat in which children pose questions which are screened to a moderator or guest celebrity.

In a nutshell, iSoaker.com is a non-profit site. As well, the iSoaker.com Forums are set-up for those 13 and older. Anyone member who is here who is below the age of 13 is asked to wait until they are 13 before continuing their interaction on this forum. As for personal information, I don't collect personal information from anyone (except in the cases of contests where winners and only winners are asked for shipping addresses which are deleted after use; in those cases, I ensure parental consent and knowledge of anyone still living at home to be sure there is no confusion about the nature of the prize package). Based on the information regarding COPPA forms, none of the Soakerdom websites are subject to it. Only the retailer or manufacturer site, if they were collecting personal information from children under the age of 13, would need to follow the complete COPPA rules.

@poonti: if you're younger than 13, things are ok so long as iSoaker.com remains a non-profit site. :goofy: That said, I still want to maintain the personal privacy of all members, thus no one should go posting or emailing personal info on any of the forums.

No law breaking going on around here.

BACK ON-TOPIC: please post a link to what you're asking about to make your question clearer, especially when asking about articles posted at another site that members may not be familiar with.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 30, 2006 5:23 pm

That's interesting because I was under the impression that COPPA is required for all websites that could potentially collect information from children. That's the impression I was getting at least from the forums I've read on forum administration. Then again, I've been reading this link which states something slightly different:
If you operate a commercial Web site or an online service directed to children under 13 that collects personal information from children or if you operate a general audience Web site and have actual knowledge that you are collecting personal information from children, you must comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

Given the problems COPPA has caused with a few registrations and the lack of consistency in their website, I'm disabling COPPA right away. I really hate dealing with a few of these kids by email on the subject and I've only received one COPPA form ever anyway.

poonti, you can join my website now.