CPS 2500 nozzle selector broke on my first time using it.. Any idea on how to repair it?

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Sozo_Mizakii

CPS 2500 nozzle selector broke on my first time using it.. Any idea on how to repair it?

Post by Sozo_Mizakii » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:31 am

Greetings, I am Sozo and I'm hoping to get some help with a blaster I just acquired. Anyway, I recently acquired a cps 2500 on ebay for a steal and was elated to get it.

So, it does pressurise and shoot, the problem is that when I did pull the trigger, the nozzle selector flew clean off. It broke right where the screw had connects to the nozzle. Other than that, the gun seems to work fine. I'll be getting pictures for you guys soon.

Thanks guys. I really want to get it back up and running.

SSCBen

Re: CPS 2500 nozzle selector broke on my first time using it.. Any idea on how to repair it?

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:24 pm

Welcome to WWN!

Post the photos once you have them. This should be repairable. What tools do you have available? A drill might be useful depending on how the nozzle assembly broke.

Sozo_Mizakii

Re: CPS 2500 nozzle selector broke on my first time using it.. Any idea on how to repair it?

Post by Sozo_Mizakii » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks Ben, I really do appreciate your willingness to help with this issue. It was disheartening to say the least to see it fly and a bunch of stream come out and a nozzle flying with it XD. Here is the link of all the parts. As for tools, I've have next to none, but I can get some. My girlfriend's uncle should have a drillpress and let me use them.

https://imgur.com/a/3e91e4b

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 02, 2020 12:07 am

I've attached your photos here as external images tend to break after time and we want to preserve as much repair knowledge as possible.

Repairing this will require a fair amount of work but is possible. Personally, I would find a broken CPS 2500 and swap out the entire front part of the valve with the flow straighteners. That would be the easiest repair. Without that, I would simply attach a PVC threaded adapter to use screw-on nozzles.

If you're set on repairing it back to the original functionality without a broken CPS 2500 to cannibalize, here are some things to consider:

There should be two of the orange bumpers. See the image below. Did you lose the other one when it broke? This part is probably necessary to make sure that the nozzle selector seals properly.

I also assume that there was an O-ring in the slot around the water opening. You should be able to find a replacement in a hardware store, or, failing that, online.

Once you have all the components, the main task is going to be basically attaching the nozzle selector to the blaster. You'll have to make a new "nub" for the screw to attach to. It might be easier to not use the existing screw and substitute your own. This might require drilling a larger hole for the new screw to go through.

It would be better to attach the new nub at multiple places with small screws than to try an adhesive. Something like this might work because it has three prongs: https://www.mcmaster.com/94122a100

But it might not be possible to use screws to attach the nub if the inside of the front end of the blaster needs to be sealed. I think it's probably okay to screw through the top part between the two openings but I'm not sure on the other sides. Might be safer to instead pick a surface-mount nut with only one attachment point and use the spot between the two openings at the top.

McMaster-Carr has a wide variety of surface-mount nuts available that you could look through to see if any fit the dimensions: https://www.mcmaster.com/surface-mount-nuts

You'll probably have to try a few things before figuring out something that works. Anyway, I don't mean to discourage you as this should be repairable but it's going to take some machining skills and patience.
Attachments
"I still have the springs as well."
"I still have the springs as well."
4.jpg (181.74 KiB) Viewed 6045 times
"Apologies for the clutter, its my sharpening area/nerf gun storage place.  Here is the nozzles and the part that busted."
"Apologies for the clutter, its my sharpening area/nerf gun storage place. Here is the nozzles and the part that busted."
3.jpg (152.59 KiB) Viewed 6045 times
"See that break?  Yeah, i wasn't too happy when i saw that, but at least its a clean break"
"See that break? Yeah, i wasn't too happy when i saw that, but at least its a clean break"
2.jpg (94 KiB) Viewed 6045 times
"Here's the blaster in its former glory.  Also, see the bad Monster X that has more problems and will be dealt with soon."
"Here's the blaster in its former glory. Also, see the bad Monster X that has more problems and will be dealt with soon."
1.jpg (211.28 KiB) Viewed 6045 times

Sozo_Mizakii

Post by Sozo_Mizakii » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:16 pm

Apologies for necro-posting my own thread. School and work have taken my time from me and so, I've been trying to source a blaster like Ben suggested. I was successful in finding one and should be able to make a guide (this may be redundant but it's for others who don't have any skill in machining). When the blaster comes, I'll be sure to take images and a guide relating to it
Mods, I apologise for this. Just giving an update

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:59 pm

I don't know if you have started your repair or not, but I don't see why you would need to salvage a second CPS 2500 for parts as long as you have the two springs, two nubs, and whole selector intact from the first one.

From Ben:
Repairing this will require a fair amount of work but is possible. Personally, I would find a broken CPS 2500 and swap out the entire front part of the valve with the flow straighteners. That would be the easiest repair. Without that, I would simply attach a PVC threaded adapter to use screw-on nozzles.
It seems a little extreme to "swap out" the front part. That's the entire firing chamber, you can detach the rubber pressure chamber fairly easily but removing the intake tube has a high chance to crack in my experience, and at that point you might as well swap out the pump assembly as well.
But it might not be possible to use screws to attach the nub if the inside of the front end of the blaster needs to be sealed. I think it's probably okay to screw through the top part between the two openings but I'm not sure on the other sides.
It would need to be sealed. But conveniently, there is just enough room for some nuts and bolts.

You will have to open the CPS 2500 first, but that part is fairly easy. Put the nozzle selector to the side. Put the old screw and plastic bit to the side.
Drill a hole through the center of the broken part. Put a long and skinny machine bolt with a fender washer through the back of the nozzle selector.

Remember that plastic bit? Drill a hole through it big enough for the bolt to go through easily, and cut it to just the right thickness, making sure the selector will rotate smoothly on it. It should sit flush with the plastic from the nozzle selector. If you can't, you will need a vinyl washer or spacer cut down to the right size.

Screw a nut onto the bolt for now so it doesn't fall through, and reassemble the 2500. Remove the nut.
The nozzle selector has a fairly large hole in it, and you will need a slightly larger washer (but not too wide) to go in the center of the three nozzle settings.
Now put the nozzle selector on the machine bolt and add the washer, lock washer, and finally a nut. The lock nut should keep it from ever unscrewing but will allow you to rotate the nozzle selector no problem.

The hardest part for you may be finding the right nuts and bolts, but they are commonly available. Good luck!
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:50 pm

soakinader wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:59 pm
It seems a little extreme to "swap out" the front part. That's the entire firing chamber, you can detach the rubber pressure chamber fairly easily but removing the intake tube has a high chance to crack in my experience, and at that point you might as well swap out the pump assembly as well.
As far as I'm aware the nozzle valve can be safely broken into two pieces by unscrewing some parts. There's a large seal which joins the two pieces of the valve. Maybe you mean that in the CPS 2500 this valve is more permanently sealed? The image below is a CPS 2000 as far as I'm aware and it appears the valve opens fine.

I meant the part on the right in the image above.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:52 am

Oh OK, yeah the 2500 valve comes apart. My first CPS 3000, not so much - they epoxied the whole thing including the screws.

Still, I would never salvage parts from a broken CPS 2500 to fix a broken nozzle selector on another 2500 - not unless the donor gun was positively trashed. The amount of force on the nozzle selector is pretty minimal, it's just the two springs pushing against it, it shouldn't be hard to fix. I would love to try given the opportunity.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.