Need help to repair rubber bulb inside the Chamber.

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
ktmdude64

Need help to repair rubber bulb inside the Chamber.

Post by ktmdude64 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:50 am

Hey guys. I need help to repair or buy a new rubber bulb for water gun.

There is a hole in the rubber and it leaks in to my gun. This causes the pressure to drop and makes my gun useless.

Any suggesions im willing to try or to fine a cheap replacement.

Ps.I tried to patch it super glue on the rubber but it didn't work. :cps2700:
Thank you guys!

In the picture.. Its on the line the rupture.
received_10154011735846917.jpeg
received_10154011735846917.jpeg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 6599 times

jja

Re: Need help to repair rubber bulb inside the Chamber.

Post by jja » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi there. Which blaster is this chamber from?
i don't think any kind of glue will hold the rubber under pressure. I think you will need to get some latex rubber tubing and replace the part. Which country are you in, that may help us to recommend where to get the tubing.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:03 pm

You'll have to improvise on some of the details, but here's how I'd approach this: Replacement with rubber balloons.

First, find some balloons that are the same size as the rubber pressure chamber. Remove the plastic piece which is attached to the rubber. Layer many balloons on top of this piece where the old rubber was, until the thickness is about the same as that of the original rubber pressure chamber. The casing will act as a clamp to keep the balloons attached.

I don't think this sort of repair has been done for this chamber shape. Replacement for cylindrical rubber chambers is well established. So please take some photos and report back with what you figure out and how well it works. Ask questions as needed too.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:20 pm

^ Considering that special techniques are required to build balloon PC's from scratch, I don't think that'll simply just work. I don't know the exact technique, but it involved a stem of some sort. Otherwise, without anything to stretch the lower layers on, they will wrinkle and stick at bad spots to the outer layers, and the outer layers will fail quickly. (Source: Actually attempted this years ago and wasted several dozen balloons.)

The absolute easiest solution would be to replace it with a custom built air pressure chamber, IMO. But if you can get a bladder together it'd definitely be worth it.

On a side note, I wonder if something similar to what they use to plug tires has any chance of working. I'm going to say no, but it's never been attempted to my knowledge.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:39 pm

HBWW wrote:^ Considering that special techniques are required to build balloon PC's from scratch, I don't think that'll simply just work. I don't know the exact technique, but it involved a stem of some sort. Otherwise, without anything to stretch the lower layers on, they will wrinkle and stick at bad spots to the outer layers, and the outer layers will fail quickly. (Source: Actually attempted this years ago and wasted several dozen balloons.)
I didn't know that. Interesting. Do you remember any more about the technique? Was it discussed before? You think starting with smaller balloons might help.
HBWW wrote:On a side note, I wonder if something similar to what they use to plug tires has any chance of working. I'm going to say no, but it's never been attempted to my knowledge.
I'll look into it.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:51 pm

I just remember from trying to build a balloon bladder, the base needs to be thicker/more durable than a single balloon, or the end result will be unable to expand evenly. The K-mod works easily because the bladder provides that structure, and every subsequent balloon added expands evenly in surface area. This is not the case when trying to build a bladder from scratch, and the uneven expansion eventually resulted in several ruptures and other issues. There's a lot of my setup that was wrong and I'll have to revisit in the future. (I ended up buying a few bladders off DX which I will use later for rigging a PC together.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:53 pm

Didn't JLspacemarine's awesome CPH have a PC made entirely of balloons? I can't see the pictures (not sure if they're gone or it's just my computer being stupid as usual), but in the discussion thread he says he layered them on a hose barb.

Someone also mentioned using condoms in the thread. Anyone ever try that? :p They're kinda expensive though, and I dunno how many you'd need.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Looks like the pictures were hosted somewhere else for some reason. I have them and will add them back later.

As for condoms, I think you can get them for fairly cheap if you don't care about their quality as a condom and buy in bulk. See here. They have a few advantages, actually. It would be much easier to use a larger tubing barb and get better performance with condoms or balloons. You'd probably have to wash off the lubricant on the condoms first, but it seems straightforward to me otherwise.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:53 pm

I use archive.org to view pages with "lost" images...

https://web.archive.org/web/20160604081 ... pscar.html

60% of the time it works all the time...