My 15-year old CPS 3000 Comeback !! + Repair

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
koel2009

My 15-year old CPS 3000 Comeback !! + Repair

Post by koel2009 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi everyone!

New guy here :P

So I got to pull this heavy cannon from the dust after my 12 year cousins did not believe I had this gun. Got it when I was 10, I still can't believe I was able to carry this thing and with 8 Liters on my back haha :cps3000:

Anyways I took the gun to the tub to check it status - Unbelievable! Perfect condition, total constant pressure. Only the trigger feels a bit hard to crack but I really can't remember if this is how it was.

My main problem: The gun's valve got broken long time ago, so I'm gonna have to create some replacement valve and hose connection. WI was researching the forums a bit to see what solutions people came up with.

Will upload soon some of the repair process. Meanwhile, there's some pics:
Broken valve as you can see. I also have no idea where it is :P
Cap is also missing, dunno where it is
Some old leaking fix from the past. Checked it again today - totally sealed

Nemesis

Re: My 15-year old CPS 3000 Comeback !! + Repair

Post by Nemesis » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Welcome to wwn! Please stick around! Such a great feeling isn't it? Holding a new cps! Anyway, this is a common problem, and while I do not have a cps 3000, nor have I done a repair like this before, I think a good way to fix it would be to either to attach a screw-in or push-in connection to the hose and gun. You could probably find good parts for it at Home Depot or Lowes. If all else fails, get something called JB Water Weld, and use it to directly attach the hose to the gun. This makes it non-removable however, so it probably wouldn't be the most favorable choice. In either circumstance. you will probably need to remove the remains of the stock adapter that is on the hose.
"The world is yours" - Nas

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Yeah, welcomes!
What size is the stock hose? What I ended up doing is sticking a piece of plastic tube inside some vinyl 3/8 tubing, and then there is enough friction to keep the hose from popping out unless you pull and twist it.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:53 am

This is a fairly common failure. The most popular methods are to just permanently bond the backpack hose to the internals, or to stick on some quick connect hose fittings. You can buy garden hose fittings really cheaply from any hardware store, or any other shop which sells garden hoses. You can also buy waterstop hose connecors. If you put one of those on the backpack, it would allow you to disconnect the backpack, whilst it was still full, without losing any water. You may have to stretch the pipe opening a bit to fit into the hose connector.

koel2009

Post by koel2009 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:12 am

Thanks guys!

So I took some measurements to see if there's anything ready-made which could work.
The blue plastic pipe which comes with the backpack has an outside diameter of 15mm, while its inside diameter is 10mm. After taking apart the plastic tightener on the end of the the pipe I found the is a plastic hose in it which was a part of the old valve. This part had an outside diameter of ~9mm with 0.5mm barbed edges which made it perfectly fit in the pipe. Its important measurement was its inside diameter which stood at 7mm. This means my intake to the gun was 7mm at the most so now I know what to look for. I've also measured the inner hose where my mod should fit into which is roughly 13.5mm. My main plan was to find a hose which I can add rubber o-rings over just as the way the old valve was built.

After some searches I found this 10 mm union hose. Looking on the technical details its inner diameter is 7.2mm and its outer diameter incl. is barbed edges is roughly 12mm, which means it would easily fit in the gun hose with no friction then i can add the O-rings.
http://www.tefenplastic.com/catalogue/product/824
You can also get it on eBay if you want to - http://www.ebay.com/itm/140685385752?va ... 1423.l2649

Went on a short trip to the local do-it-yourself stores and unbelievably found the exact part form the sheet! :P
I also got 6 O-rings to fit on it. The outside diameter of the rings is ~11mm, while the rubber thickness itself is~2.4mm. Placing then on the hose gave me exactly 13.5mm diameter which I can fit into the gun.

I've also ordered a plastic ball valve to place infront of the hose from eBay. Hopefully it would fit well with the current pipe. It looks nice and strongly built.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281040065593?ss ... 1497.l2649

There's the results:

Got 3 O-rings in between of each barbed edge, fit just perfect. Was a bit hard to squeeze them on a 10mm hose as their inner diameter was about 6 or 7mm

Gun fitting - just perfect - hard as a rock and can be pulled out if needed, though I dont think is a good idea to play with it as a plug. Will have to think of a different solution for a plug when the ball valve comes in.

Now I also need to find a good cap for the bag - any recommendations? I've found this cap tho I'm not sure about it - http://www.ebay.com/itm/281098423790?ss ... 1423.l2649

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:17 pm

Nice! Thats how you get it done! as for the cap, I'm not sure.
"The world is yours" - Nas

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Those end caps aren't really designed to be removed when pushed in. They also aren't completely water tight. They are cheap thoug, so porbably worth a try.

If you can find the full module, with the base mount patch, a Boston valve (used to inflate/deflate boats) would be a good bet. If you remove the inflation cap, it also acts as a check valve to let air in when you pump (not critical on a backpack, but lets you get the last bit of water out of it). You could also use it as a fast fill device by just pushing a hose into the top of the valve without unscrewing it.

koel2009

Post by koel2009 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm starting to feel I have made the wrong choice with the new hose connection

check out this one
http://www.tefenplastic.com/catalogue/product/1092
Quick release coupling right at the same size of the black hose I got. Gonna try to find this coupling somewhere. might be really nice fit.

Still waiting for my ball valve, as we as haven't got around the cap yet.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:35 pm

That is a cool piece but I don't think you could get it .... anywhere. Try Mcmaster?
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.