My XP 70

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Fishfan
WWN League Team: Havoc

My XP 70

Post by Fishfan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm having a hard time to get this thing open. I can't find a screwdriver small enough to fit in the holes. Worse yet, the screw that is on top of the reservoir seems to have the head taken off! Will post pics soon. I'm not sure what the problem is yet.

marauder

Re: My XP 70

Post by marauder » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:24 pm

If you or someone you know has a drill you can drill out the screw without a head.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:53 pm

My dad does have a drill, do you mean by drilling a hole through the screw-hole?

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:36 pm

You drill the screw into the other half of the casing. It destroys the screw-hole, but it has a 100% success rate of getting the gun open. Besides, you don't need all the screws to close up the gun. DX had to do this a lot in our "mod/repair party" (we only really worked on one gun though).
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Okay, thanks! That's really helpful!
Edit: Wouldn't it be better to drill through the screw hole? Or is it better to drill on the opposite side?

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:05 pm

You do drill through the screw hole.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:28 pm

All you do is stick the drill into the existing hole, rev it up to medium speed, and apply pressure until you hear the screw snap through into the other half of the casing. You're not actually "drilling" it in the usual sense of the action, you're just using the power of the drill to push the screw down. I said medium speed because low speed will not have enough force and high speed will cause the whole casing area to get burning hot to the touch. At medium, only the screw and column area get hot. I had to do this 7 times on the 21K that "we" worked on :p

If you have a drill bit for screws, you can attempt to reverse drill the screw out first. If it's too stripped for that, you then resort to drilling down.

The screw hole could still be salvaged if you replace the plastic column. It's generally not worth the effort, but if you want to, the easiest way is to snap the drilled one off, take a column out of the case of a broken gun and glue it in. It must line up exactly or the screw will be very difficult to get in and it must be held in pretty well, with something like epoxy.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:58 pm

If at all possible, I try to pry the case open around the stuck screw, and use a little pair of bolt cutters. Snap! Shell's open. Then, I can push/twist the screw head out with pliers, and also twist the rest of the screw out of the other half of the casing. Then I can just use one of the other screws for that spot. Most of the toys I have opened had too many screws anyways ;) So if that is the one screw that holds something important together, give it a try.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:11 pm

I can't do that, because the screw goes through the reservoir. (I think at least)
But I will try the drilling it. I'd use a hole-drilling bit, correct?

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:36 pm

The screw up over the Res does not go through it, also I can't believe that opening an XP 70 is hard for you before I trashed my 70 I could open it in less than 5 minutes.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:42 pm

I can't find a thin enough screwdriver to fit in the holes and to reach the screw. (It's only one I can't reach with a screwdriver)

DX

Post by DX » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:36 pm

I'd use a hole-drilling bit, correct?
It really doesn't matter what you use because you're just using the power to push the screw downward. However, a bit designed to drill through metal would be the best, as it won't get damaged in the process like one designed for plastic, wood, etc. You probably want the largest bit you have that still fits in the hole.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:01 pm

????? I must have seen wrong. I got the screw out with a very thin screwdriver, I think it's called a jewelers or something.
Anyways, I found out the pump is getting very little water out of the reservoir, most likely to a bad o-ring on the reservoir. And I think the one on the PC is bad too, so I'll replace that one.
Anyone know what size the o-orings are on the res. and PC?

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Fixed! I got some similar-sized washers, and replaced them. However, it still leaks out of the PC some. When it gets to higher pressure, it starts to leak right around the trigger area. I did replace the washer on the PC, so it might be somewhere else. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Fishfan on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Just open it up, fill it, and pump it. Then you can identify just where the leak is. Also, take pictures and post them!
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:43 pm

I will! I will open it up, I'm just worried about the PC popping off. They didn't design it very well in that area. It should be something like a screw on PC.... Well, enough complaining just get the pics taken. :goofy:

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:24 am

I figured out where it leaks. It leaks at the firing valve, not out of the nozzle though. This repair deals with cutting open the valve, I think I will wait to repair and maybe do it at a war, with some people that have experience. I can bear the leak for now.