Im New and I Need A Little Help With A CPS 1000

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
TrueAce

Post by TrueAce » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:02 pm

Hey everyone, i've been watchin you guys for a little while, and now i need some advice. i recently started getting back into super soakers at the age of 18 when we put our pool up, but sadly my parents had seriously lost my old xp 310, they must of lost it good, i cant find it anywhere, but before that i had a SS 30 that the barrel broke off of, and i had one of the first mid sized guns in the XP series, but i cant even remember what it was, that was too long ago. and now, at the age of 18 i wanted to get back to my childhood where surge was the drink, michael keaton was batman, sienfeld own prime time, and huge super soakers were the greatest toy a kid obtain, and it was rare you found someone that didnt have one.

Now, i had no idea that larami had gone to hasboro, or that they the super soakers of today, were the pistols of the 90's. after doing a little research, and back tracking to the days that i would of been pouring over the long fold out list of super soakers, and seeing a super soaker that used a backpack blew my mind, and remembered that the CPS 2000, or 2500, was my dream gun, now to tide me over till i decided to shell out the cash to get one of those beasts, i purchased a CPS 1000, which is a blast. i wanted a durable gun, with plenty of power, that if i did break it, i wouldnt be heart broken. now i've had it for a little less than a week, and it is now leaking out of the pump, after looking around on the site a bit, i found isoakers walk through with the 1500 pump, that seemed to be the same issue, but when i disassembled mine, my washer was intact, this is a problem that while may not be immediate, i know it has to be a sign of problems down the road, if anyone has some advice of what the issue maybe and or what i can do about it, it would be much appreciated.

Also, i have an idea for an addition to the site, i absolutely love the armory section, its the most detailed over view of every super soaker, and i love it, but one thing i think would be really interesting addition, would be in each review of a gun, to put the original market price that you would of paid when it was on the market. i mean for someone just coming into this from years of being out of this, i would like to know what some of these guns would of cost me back in the day. just an idea, i thought i'd throw it out there.

Thanks For Your Time Guys

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:01 pm

There was some thread somewhere on these forums but I'm not exactly sure where. It had the prices and stuff and the changes of them over the ages. For the 1000, you might want to open it up if the issue(s) gets serious. Maybe a pic could help. I have a 1000 but I never opened it up (it's a mk3 with a glued on nozzle) and I don't know what the internals look like.

Edited By C-A_99 on 1157317589
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:42 pm

Welcome to the iSoaker.com Forums (oops, almost wrote SSC by habit ;) )! It's nice to see somebody so nostalgic.

Perhaps one of the first midsized guns was the XP 70, although I might be wrong. You can still get XP 310s at Hamleys (online, ships from the UK), and XP 270s are still made as remakes, usually in two-packs. An SS 30, on the other hand, can only be bought off eBay. Also, an XP 310 is on sale at eBay, and the auction ends today in ~1.5 hours.

There's a list of eBay soaker prices over at SSC...it's quite outdated, but it might still be a bit valid for the off-season. Tough luck.

That sounds like an easy problem to fix, and I doubt it means you'll get too many problems further down the road. Could you explain a bit more? Here are a few sample questions:
Does it leak only when you pump, or whenever there is pressure?
If it leaks while pumping, is it when you expand or retract the pump?
Does it build up pressure properly?

It sounds like you'll have to take apart the gun and pump with it open, since I think the tubing sprung a leak somewhere. If so, then a jet or just a leak of water will ensue from a crack you wouldn't normally see; if so, seal that up with epoxy or, even better, plastic cement/glue stuff.

There's still the possibility that the O-ring is at fault. First of all, do a bit of lubing and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, then the O-ring might have degraded a bit but not visibly--and so you might as well replace it with the appropriate sized one. Good luck!

TrueAce

Post by TrueAce » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:40 pm

to answer your questions silent guy, it is only when i am pumping that it leaks, especially when the pump is out, and is leaks the most if i position the gun down ward while pumping, and i am not entirely sure if it is building pressure correctly, there doesnt appear to be anything wrong, i mean it does pressure, and i have used it in a couple of battles and random attacks on friends, and it seems to work as it should, except for the leaking, now if i am going to lube it, do you have any recommendations on what lube to use, and where should it be applied. If it turns out that the O-ring is at fault, where would i purchase a replacement O ring, i've never seen one like it before if we are talking about the same part. Also, when i opened it up, i snapped several pictures just for reference purposes and incase some one might ask, but sadly i dont have time to get them on my comp then on here at the moment, but nothing look out of the ordinary.

Now i would also like a little advice on a CPS 2000 on ebay that i am SERIOUSLY considering becouse he is in my area shipping would be much less then the same model in another area, the issue is i cant tell whether its a Mk. 1 or Mk. 2, while i would prefer a Mk. 1 mostly becouse it was the original and most say its more powerful, i would love a Mk. 2 also, i would just like to know what i'm buying, i read up on all the differences, but i'm still not sure without comparing it to another gun, or seeing it in person, below is the link to it, if you guys could look it over and see if you can tell whether it is a 1 or 2, i would really appreciate it.

TrueAce

Post by TrueAce » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:43 pm

sorry for the double post, i forgot to add the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....IT&rd=1

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:51 pm

It's mk2, you can tell by the power gauge. On a mk1, it's slightly longer than that.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Rook

Post by Rook » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:55 pm

Shoot. Beat me to it.

As for lube, use silicone lube and/or vasoline.

By the way, an O ring is a thin rubber ring shaped like an O. :;):
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

DX

Post by DX » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:06 pm

Don't worry about O-rings, they are very common [hardware stores often have large selections] and very cheap [cents on the dollar for a 4 pack].

SSC does have the prices guide, however only the initial release prices are accurate. Don't even look at the selling prices, as they were written with "seller bias". I once posted a list containing unbiased selling prices, but don't know where it is or even which forum I put it on.

Go for a CPS 2000, but anything higher than $70 is a rip-off. People say that you have to shell out hundreds, however, $40 CPS 2000s are not unheard of. In fact, several of the more recent CPS 2000s on Ebay have gone for $40-50. The record is over $300, but contrary to popular belief, you can find cheap ones any time of the year.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:03 pm

This CPS 2000's price is going to go through the roof. I wouldn't even bother. However, Mk.2s are okay--they have equivalent power to Mk.1s, but the shot time/PC capacity is only about 75%--and since the Mk.1 has 1 s of shot time and the Mk.2 has 0.75 s, and since the measurements were only taken for the whole second, the output seems worse. It really isn't. The bladder on the Mk.2 will last longer because it isn't stretched as much.

The O-rings are easy to obtain...you could measure the current one's size, or if the hardware store you're going to is local and friendly (well, it helps, at least), you could take in the O-ring and ask to find an identical one. For lube, Rook was right in that pretty much anything will work; silicon is the best, though. Vaseline can possibly degrade regular rubber (although it's not that big a deal) over time, but synthetic rubber should be fine with it.

EDIT: Heh...I'm surprised I forgot about the "Armory FAQ" here, and I must have skimmed it the first time. Definitely a lesson for all of us--read the stickied threads, frequently and thoroughly.

Edited By SilentGuy on 1157342953

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:27 am

Aren't the 2000 mk2's the same as the 2500's at 20x? Yet the 2000's are supposedly more powerful than the 2500's. In that case it'd definately be better to get a 2500 or a 2000 mk1 since both have longer shot times. (if you don't mind the somewhat reduced power on the 2500 when you switch to a smaller nozzle)

^^I have never seen that happen all year. The closest I saw was a 2500 and a 1000 for $36 that I was about to get (the one urbanfighter got) but I haven't been able to find that kind of stuff all year. (I do put shipping prices in consideration though and when the shipping is excessive I won't count it unless the bid match up so the total is more reasonable)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Rook

Post by Rook » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:57 am

[brag]Hey, I managed to get a brand new Monster X for $40 (with shipping).[/brag] So it's possible just not common.

@TrueAce: The pictures in your sig are a little too big. :;):
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:13 pm

I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said it hardly happens all year.

The problem I have here is parents. No matter how many times I tell them how rare it is they still think $40 is too much for a CPS 2500, or a 2000 mk1 for that matter. (not that I've actually encountered one like that, just an example)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

TrueAce

Post by TrueAce » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:24 pm

Ok thanks alot guys, and i was thinking when you said O-ring you meant the rubber tube like piece on the end of the pump, i know what a washer is. lol. i guess i'll hold out for a better deal then, i might try to get a 2500 now and wait for a 2000 at a better price.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:30 pm

I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said it hardly happens all year.

I've been watching Ebay soakers for 2 and a half years now, and have seen CPS 2000s in the $40s during the Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. However, only a few have been in mint condition and those were all PayPal only, which I don't have. Others often had triggers needing replacement, which is a repair I hate doing.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:48 am

Seems like I found this thread after most of the good suggestions have already been given! Welcome to the board, at any rate! :cool:
one thing i think would be really interesting addition, would be in each review of a gun, to put the original market price that you would of paid when it was on the market.

I thought about that, but then feared it may be misleading since the raw price doesn't take into account inflation that has occurred over the years. Also, though that list of prices does exist in the Armoury FAQ, I've been unable to verify its accuracy and would rather not put up a price as opposed to putting up a misleading/incorrect one. I've previously contacted Hasbro to get some info from them, but have yet to get info on MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Pricing) from them.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

TrueAce

Post by TrueAce » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:48 pm

Ok, so today i had the time to open my gun up, and i was going to get the o-ring, take it into the hardware store and find a match, and see if they had some silicone lubricant, but when i got inside, i found no O-ring, at least that i could see, so i took a few pictures, now if you would like to request some other variations of angles or close ups, go ahead, i have a few other picks of it but they didnt seem relevant to a pump issue. If you guys could just look over the gun in general and see if you find any obvious issues i might need to tweet or work on, that would help alot.

Alright, heres the pics, hopefully they will show up, im assuming i wont need to label them, im sure you can tell whats what.

Like i said, if you would like to see anymore pics i can post em, just let me know, i think i posted what it seemed you might need.
thanks again guys.

Rook

Post by Rook » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Well, now we have the problem. The O-Ring must have broken off, and is probably sitting one of the tubes. Would someone be willing to open their 1200 and give a measurement of the O-Ring?

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:13 pm

Is the leaking coming straight out of the pump shaft or from somewhere else? If the leak is from the pump shaft, it is a good possibility that the plastic seal 'thing' at the end of the pump rod has just worn down from use and isn't properly sealing the pump shaft anymore. There are a number of ways you can try to correct this from adding in an O-ring (if you can find the right-diameter one) around the pump rod to layering a little electrical tape around the pump rod to serve as an O-ring-like seal. A more extensive scenario is that you'd choose to completely replace the pump rod with a home-made one.

Double check that there are no cracks or other sources of leaks by doing some light pumping with the blaster open. My guess is that you have a pump-sealant problem. Of course, if there's a crack in the shaft or a leak in another part of the pump assembly, that'd require a different fix.

Note: the older CPS blaster pumps do NOT have rubber O-rings; they just have the odd, soft material at the end of the pump rod that your CPS1000 still appears to have.

TrueAce

Post by TrueAce » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:44 pm

Ok, i checked and there doesnt seem to be a crack in the pump. im pretty sure its just coming out the end of the shaft. i bought some lubricant, but im not sure if its correct or not, i'll post a pic below, im not gonna use it yet cause if its the wrong lubricant, i dont want it to be opened, cause i'll take it back. so should i purchase a washer also? isoaker.com, i saw you said that mine isnt suppose to have a O ring, but you said that if i were to add one it should fix the problem, so how do i know what O ring would be the proper one, and where should i put it?

Image Image

this was the only silicone lubricant i could find that wasn't in spray form, everything else was graphite based, im just wanting to make ABSOLUTELY sure i dont do anything wrong.

Edited By TrueAce on 1157575529

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:08 pm

I was envisioning putting an O-ring at the end of the white section of the pump rod. The problem is that you'd need both to find an O-ring that can be put into the rod while still fitting into the pump shaft as well as fixing the O-ring in place. My personal lean is more towards careful application of electrical tape to create a better seal or doing a full pump-rod replacement as opposed to adding in an O-ring.