Replacing pipes in pinch valve blasters

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Neptune

Replacing pipes in pinch valve blasters

Post by Neptune » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:42 am

Here is the result of me replacing the pipes in an ss 50. I used a smaller OD pipe in this because the pipes are more rigid and 1/4" wouldn't let it compress fully with the strength/leverage generated by the metal pusher. Somewhere I have the original pipe, so brown and compressed no air could get through at all. I like this method because it lets me use old soakers as if they were new. Here's some pictures because I don't think it's been done before.

That's the whole system, it's 1/4" OD pipes inside 3/8" pipes. The OD of the original pipes are 3/8" according to WATTS pipe. The original pipes are slightly thinner ID then store bought pipes however, so I replaced the part under the pinch valve with 1/4" OD. Yes, you could just replace that section but it's a little loose of a connection between the original pipes and 1/4" and I fear that with the constant pressing it could come loose.

The trigger pressing against the new 1/4" pipe, there is no goop for this method. So long as you use long enough sections they become pressure fitted.

I had used longer sections here and connected the 3/8" to the main pipe by a 1/4". This step probably isn't needed but my pipe was really bad so I figured I may as well, plus it gets a better and tighter connection to the 1/4". I can't connect this pipe with a larger pipe because the shell wouldn't close then :goofy:

So yeah, this is how to make old pinch valve blasters work like new.
Last edited by Neptune on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've got 110 problems but a <Nice lady> Ain't one

Andrew

Re: Replacing pipes in pinch valve blasters

Post by Andrew » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Don't appear to be quick connect at all. You'd have to carefully select not only the correct diameter, but material and rigidity (i.e. the resistance to being pinched and from opening after being pinched). Someone has probably done this at some point, but I can't personally find any documented records at the moment.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Huh, I currently own the gun in those pictures. I'd imagine you could just move some of the existing tubing forward and glue the new stuff where it doesn't get pinched if the new tubing is too stiff. That would result in more places where it could potentially leak, but make the characteristics of the replacement tubing not matter.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:04 pm

I meant at the connection the the pump area and halfway down the pipe of the nozzle so I could swa[ something in. I decided to go with a sleeve of a wider pipe to connect it.
I've got 110 problems but a <Nice lady> Ain't one

Fishfan
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Fishfan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:24 pm

So that is what a pinch valve looks like. I never knew what the looked like. Now I can see why old ones don't seal well at high pressures.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:29 pm

I think this is awesome. Keep the old guns working!
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.