CPS 1200 woes

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Dr. D

Post by Dr. D » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:01 am

Hey guys, thanks for the help on the 2100 pump handle. I'm sorry that I have so many broken-soaker related questions, but I am a terrible technician, yet for some reason all of my friends turn to me for their broken guns :goofy:

Anyway, my friend's had this CPS 1200 for over six years (the longest functioning gun in out league), and its had it share of problems over the years. Sometimes, the gun seems to have this bizzare self-healing ability, but other times it needs a little help. The most recent problem is that the pump is sticking, and generally failing after the 3rd or 4th pump. After that, it is very hard to pump, without putting it on the ground and slamming the pump down. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything that can be done ?

Thanks a million! :)
n00b friend: "Nice SP 270!"
Me: "Uhh, it's
XP."
n00b friend: "Oh yeah! Nice SP 270 XP!"

Current Official USF Armory: Monster X, CPS 4100, CPS 2500 (shotgun), CPS 2100 (x3), CPS 1500, CPS 1200 (x3), CPS 1000, MI Flash Flood (x3) STE Flash Flood (x2) WW Orca

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:01 am

It sounds like a simple pump lubrication is all you need...so you'll just need to take apart the pump, a simple enough job since this soaker uses a non-tracked pump and you don't need to unscrew anything.

First of all, extend the pump all the way, and you should see a circular piece on the end of the pump tube that stops the pump from accidentally coming off. Pry it off with a screwdriver or something if necessary, and the plunger should now be able to come out.

Silicone spray lubricant is excellent for spraying into the pump tube, but then again, you could also try just lubricating the O-ring with something else. Only use Vaseline if there is nothing else...

After that, just insert the pump into the tube again and swirl it around and pump it. That should smear the lubricant throughout, and now it should glide very smoothly indeed. You might need to use electrical tape or something (something thin enough to not be peeled off by the retracted pump handle) to hold the circular guard in place afterwards.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:55 pm

Actually to pull the pump out of a 1200, you're going to need to take the whole soaker apart...which means prying off that big, annoying orange nozzle cap as well. Usually this can only be done by popping it off with a couple of screwdrivers (that's how I did it, anyway).

Rook

Post by Rook » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:07 pm

Why would you need to? You really only need the pump itself, not the entire mechanism.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:22 pm

@ sbell25: For a moment I thought you said the two halves of the casing stopped the pump plunger from coming out instead of a circular piece, but [IMG=http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/CPSSerie ... 200_09.jpg]this picture[/IMG] from the iSoaker.com Review (I love this site :D) shows that there is a pump cap. Could you explain a bit further?

And just for the record, I was referring to pulling out the assembly that includes the pump handle, the pump rod, and the plunger--not the actual pump tube. I'm a bit confused, but I might have heard this before.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:09 pm

I'll end the confusion. Take a screw driver, and pop off that pump cap. Then, take out the screws near the pump area. You can then pull the pump out without actually taking apart your soaker. Lube up the rubber part, and shove it back in. Put the screws back in, and pop on the pump cap and presto! All you need to do is work in the lube (about 10 pumps) and you are set. :cool:

Rook

Post by Rook » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:25 pm

Oh. Duh. The end of the pump is too large to fit through the hole, right? Thanks for clearing that up.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55