Glue removal

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
soakinader

Glue removal

Post by soakinader » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:06 pm

I bought a nice-looking CPS 1000 with a moderate pressure leak that needs fixing. Problem is, this is the first CPS 1000 I have (tried) to open that had the nozzle cover glued on. On top of that, the cover is brittle. I can't get to that last screw, and I don't want to cut/break the cover if I can help it. So, upon searching briefly for glue removal, I gave up and decided to ask you, the viewer, to post your successful solutions for loosening up that blasted factory glue on covers, pump caps, etc.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

DX

Re: Glue removal

Post by DX » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 pm

I generally don't care about the caps, especially on small CPS. If there's not much glue, I'll try to preserve it through careful, patient prying with a flathead screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Else, I either pry it to pieces or saw down the middle.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Sorry, dude, but the point of this thread is for non-destructive methods of removal. I am looking for solvents, heat treatments, etc, that won't damage the plastic.
If my mint condition _____ sprung a leak, I wouldn't want to resort to cutting things in half or breaking them into little pieces. I already regret cutting the SC cap on my monster. If I had been more patient, I think more hot water and prying would have done it.

@atvan, you are not helping. I value performance more too, but if I can dip the nozzle in a solvent for 10 seconds instead of beating and pulling for 10 minutes, that would make my head hurt less.
Last edited by soakinader on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:08 pm

If your mint condition … sprung a leak, it isn't mint anymore now is it, not only because it is broken but because you are using it.

As you may or may not know, we tend to value preformance over cosmetics (though certain cosmetic aspects such as camo help field preformance).
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 pm

When it comes to cars, girls, soakers, I always go for looks and performance. 8)
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:35 pm

The only issue with dipping in solvents etc. is that the plastic may become the solute as well as the glue (the 'glue' will have similar chemical properties to the plastic to which it bonds to allow it to join) leaving you with an even less aesthetically pleasing, and even possibly a completely ruined blaster. Heat and/or water may help.

To be fair, if the screwdriver is thin enough, you might be able to prise the nozzle cover away from the blaster without any visible damage.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:23 pm

Thanks Andrew, but it seems as though the cover is just too brittle. I am going to try and be patient, but when all is said and done, I will solvent weld all of the pieces back together :oo:
I find 'em, I fix 'em.