Make a pump for the Xxp 175

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
AMBUSH
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Make a pump for the Xxp 175

Post by AMBUSH » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:40 am

My Xxp 175 has no pump. I got it from Dux as a birthday present. I was wondering if I could make a pump for it?

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Make a pump for the Xxp 175

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:47 am

Yes you can make a pump for it just get a dowel and a O ring that fits the gun and use electrical tape to hold the O ring still put on both side of it not on the O ring itself. Good luck and welcome to the community.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:53 am

Finally got around to measuring the ID of the pump shaft, and it's exactly 3/4". Now, I need to actually make a pump. I know a lot of people use wooden dowels, but wouldn't the water ruin the wood after a while? I seem to remember that they make dowels out of nylon or something, which would work better. Another possibility is to grind down a length of 1/2" PVC (the OD is around 7/8".) and plug up one end, but that would require a lot more work.

Any suggestions? I've never actually made a homemade pump before.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:50 pm

You could use metal. GJIV made a pump shaft that way.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Metal is a little harder to form a groove in (nearly broke my drill :goofy: ) but is much stronger. Plus the momentum of the extra weight makes it smoother to pump. :D

Alternatively wetmonkey (at least I think it was) came up with a neat way of essentially bolting an o-ring to a pump rod (between some plastic/nylon washer things), with no need to cut any grooves!

SEAL, yes the wood can go 'off' after a while if your not careful. My original wooden pump rod went soft and black-ish in places and later snapped. The brass hasn't had any issues other than in constructing it.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:36 pm

I have access to a lathe, so cutting a groove will be very easy, probably even in metal. A metal rod would be nice, but might be pretty heavy, as I would need a 3/4" one (the 175 has a very wide pump shaft.). I will look into options. The main thing I'm worried about is making a good seal, as I've heard that they can be a real nightmare. I think I'll use 3 or 4 O-rings, haha.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:02 pm

I got one o-ring to seal pretty well. The pump rod hugged the walls of the pump, so it doesn't get mis-aligned and let water through that way. The o-ring is as tight as hell as well. It needed vast quantities of vaseline to fit it into the pump pipe, but it works pretty well now. Very smooth too!

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:16 am

Pictures please!
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.