XP85 tank crack

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
DeOetelaar

XP85 tank crack

Post by DeOetelaar » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:13 am

Hi!

I got a XP85 which is leaking. I opened it and found the leak.

Would it make sense to repair it using epoxy?
What is better epoxy?
The one to knead or with 2 bottles?

Best regards
DeO
tank crack
tank crack
XP85TankBrick.jpg (47.88 KiB) Viewed 1884 times

atvan

Re: XP85 tank crack

Post by atvan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:31 am

It is hard to tell from the picture. Is it the crack on the green plastic? I would use the bottles for that. Generally, the one you kneadis used only to fill space or cover large gaps.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

DeOetelaar

Post by DeOetelaar » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:29 am

atvan wrote:It is hard to tell from the picture. Is it the crack on the green plastic? I would use the bottles for that. Generally, the one you kneadis used only to fill space or cover large gaps.
Yes, the water was leaking out of this crack on the green plastic near the orange. You see also some dark dirt (or whatever) in this crack.
I was not able to open the XP85 completely due to the 2 moveable nozzles. The crack is in the back so I haven´t tried it anylonger to open it completely.
Thanks, I will buy the bottles.

DeO

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Protip (for anyone it helps): Click on the picture to expand it fully and the crack becomes very obvious in the photo.

Use two-part epoxy for this, not epoxy putty (the kneaded one). Make sure your work doesn't end up blocking other components of the blaster, particularly the pipe its connected to. Make sure the epoxy is mixed well and that both parts are poured evening. Only work in an area with good ventilation, especially if the epoxy is something like metal and plastic welder. (Which gives good strength.)

Do be aware that this is a pretty rough repair. Since you are repairing a crack on a pressurized reservoir blaster, be prepared for failure. You will want to sand the area to be welded. It's possible for the repair to fail, which I've had to deal with for two particular blasters (MD2k and S750) numerous times. They still don't work.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DeOetelaar

Post by DeOetelaar » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi!

I have bought the 2 bottled epoxy. But there were 2 different epoxy in the shop at the same price. One which needs 30 minutes to be dry and one which needs 12 hours. I took the 12 hour one. Well good things need time.... I used it directly on the crack and waited 12 hours. Then I did the same again. Today I tested the Soaker 3 times and I have to say that this stuff is pure magic. I didn´t notice any water except from the nozzle. All seems to be dry.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:01 am

"Time to dry" means different things for epoxy. There's the time you can work with it and then the time needed to cure fully. Generally you want lower time to cure but more working time, though that isn't really possible due to the chemistry of the material. I assume you were talking about full cure times, and in that case I always try to wait 24 hours (12-16 hours if I need it real soon for an event) before testing it.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DeOetelaar

Post by DeOetelaar » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi!

I have to apologize for my english which is definitely not the best. So please be tolerant if I wouldn´t hit any expressions / words exactly. :)

The company (german one) offers 3 different products. Two of them should be cured in 5 and 30 minutes.... working time 2 and 5 minutes.... sounded not trustfully to me. So I took the one you can work with for about 90 minutes and it´s cure/hardened after 12 hours according to the manual.
Well as I have written good things need some time. :)